Idea to Increase Scoring...

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
What about making a Rule that the defensive team cannot make a line change after a whistle in their own zone just like after an icing. It would lead to more situations where the offensive team has fresh legs out against tired defenders and should in theory lead to more goals. What do you guys think?

Habby Gilmore

Dec 2, 2013
Halifax
So if you can't get the puck out you're not going to get to switch lines until you get scored on ?

it could get rough during the second period on the long change but I'm sure teams would find ways to change players during play if they got stuck in their own zone for long periods. They just can't change after a whistle in their zone, just like after an icing now they can't change.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
Nothing against the original poster, but IMHO gimmicks like this is like trying to put a bandaid on a gunshot wound. Why don't we flip a coin and make the losing team skate 20 laps before each face off?

Or why don't we cut to the chase and just remove the goalie from the game?

IMHO scoring won't go up until a coach or player finds a way to steamroll the current way things are done and win while doing it. But how do you beat the 5 player wall between the attacking player and the goalie?

In addition, too much focus on the defensive side of the game hurts the offensive skill development. Physical skills are at an all time high but I don't think the offensive mental mindset is.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think the level of goal scoring is fine... the league is in a nice balance of scoring and defense.

Artificially creating more goals is not going to create better games, it will force coaches to try to clamp down more on preventing goals... something they CAN have a bit more control over. Thus by artificially creating more goals, you are actually doing the opposite of what you want to achieve... and that is you are creating more boring games.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
No more sliding to block shots by F/D -> less injuries and more goals.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
What about making a Rule that the defensive team cannot make a line change after a whistle in their own zone just like after an icing. It would lead to more situations where the offensive team has fresh legs out against tired defenders and should in theory lead to more goals. What do you guys think?

It's not just about more goals it's about more exciting play in general. With longer shots no longer part of the game teams can collapse around the net and take away the opportunity to make skilled plays around the net.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
Came in expecting to hate the idea, was not disappointed.

The only point of this idea is too inflate scoring. Do you really think watching tired defensemen fail to clear their zone would be exciting? Plus then as soon as they did get it out, they'd have to dump it in and change, meaning they'd never be on the attack.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I think it's fine. Enough is enough, just enjoy it. There's a 7-4 game every other night. There's boring games, and there's exciting games, neither of which necessarily relating to how many goals were scored in a given game. I believe we are already starting to see a shift of more speed and offensive play anyway from a lot of teams, scoring may trend up in the next few seasons without changes as a result on a league level. When it comes to individuals it's a different story though, hockey is too much of a team game nowadays.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Here's my idea. It's already a rule that the defending team face-off guy has to put his stick down first. Why not take it a step further and just give the attacking team last change.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
Literally the only thing the NHL has to do in my opinion is to start calling penalties whenever one is committed rather than letting players get away with obvious penalties 10x a game.

The amount of slashing, interference, etc.. that goes uncalled is ridiculous.

At first, the more PP's would obviously result in more goals and then when players start smartening up and stop taking those penalties, it'll open up more room on the ice for the skilled players to make moves.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I don't think any changes should be made..I feel like I'm the only one who thinks that the scoring is fine and goals would be more fun to celebrate in a close 1-1 game than a 5-5 game or something like that. I don't mind the current NHL at all.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Why exactly do people want to see more goals? I don't get it. It's not like more goals = better hockey....

Especially when the goals happen because the defense is too tired to defend haha.

Prime time entertainment right there.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
12 pucks. One for every player.

You'll have more goals next year when talent dilutes by one more team.

Last Gleaming

Jul 21, 2013
Nothing against the original poster, but IMHO gimmicks like this is like trying to put a bandaid on a gunshot wound.

IMHO scoring won't go up until a coach or player finds a way to steamroll the current way things are done and win while doing it. But how do you beat the 5 player wall between the attacking player and the goalie?

Yeah, when a team can get 2 points despite not scoring in either regulation or overtime, there's just not enough incentive for teams to depart radically from the idea of tight, defensive-minded play at even strength.

And, just a quick rejoinder to those not seeing the entertainment in there being more goals, how about more lead changes? More comebacks in the 3rd period? Of course, higher scoring only helps that to a certain point. I'd like to see the goal rate end up around 6.5 per game, about 1 more per game than currently. The 1995-96 season is a good example.

Trying to change rules at the margins will have, well, marginal benefit. I think the standings need to be radicalized/simplified. Get rid of the points. No more possibility of the partial victories that help make teams risk-averse. Make teams' records W-L-T again, but only rank them by wins, then by fewer losses if wins are equal. Have a 5-on-5 OT capped at 10 minutes (endless OT not being practical or fair in the regular season) replace the current OT/shootout conglomeration. Based on historical evidence, about 5% of games would end in (unbeneficial) ties under this format. A small concession (4 ties per team on average) for a format that would encourage teams to take more chances at even strength, which is the main driver of the low scoring right now.

It would also help matters if the offensive zones were reduced to their pre-2005 dimensions, as suggested by Scotty Bowman some time ago. Combined with the above, the wingers playing defense would have more incentive to stay on the points, leaving the lower part of the zone more open.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad