Proposal: Idea for a Arizona-Montreal-Nashville deal

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
No way does Arizona do Pacioretty for Ekman-Larsson Montreal will be selling off not adding a D man like Ekman-Larsson.

Off course Pacioretty isn't worth OEL. But i can see Mtl going after OEL after july 1st, when it would be possible to sign an extension right after the trade.

And i'm pretty sure no team will trade for OEL before that time as the asking return would be to big for a 1 year and a half rental.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Agreed Pacioretty in a deal for Ekman-Larsson isn't even remotely feasible Not even sure if Montreal has the realistic pieces for Ekman-Larsson without mortgaging their farm.

Yeah, it's just not realistic in any way. Unprotected 2018 1st should get it started for conversation from AZ point of view but that is an instant no-go for Montreal.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Yeah, it's just not realistic in any way. Unprotected 2018 1st should get it started for conversation from AZ point of view but that is an instant no-go for Montreal.

This. Although i would love getting OEL. It would settle our D until Weber retires.

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
I like the concept of the OP but Habs pay too much. Nashville not enough.

Also, as a Habs fan, i wouldn't go for Stepan as center solution. I would keep my assets to go for O'Reilly.

As far as OP goes what about :

To Habs : OEL + Strome
Nasville : Pacioretty
Arizona : Mtl 2018 1st (top 10 protected - becomes 2019 1st), Juulsen, Chi 2018 2nd, Fiala, Dougherty

We wouldn't trade Fiala for Pacioretty straight up.

Reactions: Lateralous

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Even with a retool Montreal would go for Stephan as Galchenyuk as more Value. Pacioretty for OEL is close. The rest is over payment by Montreal.
Galchenyuk Byron and Pacioretty could get Montreal Draisaitl.
You're wayyyy overeating Montreal's players. Stepan is a center. Chucky is not, Pacioretty doesnt Come close to OEL. And chucky byron And pacioretty for Draisaitl Is a Joke. Put down the Crack Pipe

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Is Arizona going to be competing for the Cup next season after this deal goes through? Because if not Pacioretty has zero value for them.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Is Arizona going to be competing for the Cup next season after this deal goes through? Because if not Pacioretty has zero value for them.

I agree almost 100% but trading for Richard Panik says otherwise. What if they can extension Pacioretty this summer?? And if not, you still can trade him for yet more futures during his last year.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I agree almost 100% but trading for Richard Panik says otherwise. What if they can extension Pacioretty this summer?? And if not, you still can trade him for yet more futures during his last year.
Every team, and that includes Mtl, can sign Max to his next contract but how many are willing to spend around 7 mil for probably a 7 yrs term +. Not all that many. Is Mtl willing? Is that why MB is holding on to cap space?

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Every team, and that includes Mtl, can sign Max to his next contract but how many are willing to spend around 7 mil for probably a 7 yrs term +. Not all that many. Is Mtl willing? Is that why MB is holding on to cap space?

That's what i am saying. Maybe Arizona is one of those teams. Maybe not. If they aren't, they still can flip him at the bext deadline for more futures.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Had the idea yesterday and can't decide if it is feasible or not, but figured I would throw it out here and see what reaction it got. I am not very familiar with either Arizona's or Montreal's actual long term needs, just assuming Arizona is still in a rebuild and Montreal is trying to retool, so I mean no offense if I completely missed the mark. Here goes:

To Arizona:
Max Pacioretty, Pontus Aberg, Jack Dougherty, NSH 2018 1st, MTL 2018 1st, MTL 2018 2nd

To Montreal:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Derek Stepan

To Nashville:
Alex Galchenyuk, Paul Byron

Why would Coyotes want Pacioretty when he is UFA after next season and they aren't a contender? I am sure they want a long term piece over him.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
That's what i am saying. Maybe Arizona is one of those teams. Maybe not. If they aren't, they still can flip him at the bext deadline for more futures.
The flip him yourself theory has flaws. Would not convince me much. Did Arizona offer something yet? I mean that we saw here even though i know no one here is a gm bla bla bla.

Market aint that huge... Maybe you already went through the process of selling a house. At some point you got to give because worst scenario is not selling it. Unless you got that nice lakefront house. Ask whatever you want then.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Had the idea yesterday and can't decide if it is feasible or not, but figured I would throw it out here and see what reaction it got. I am not very familiar with either Arizona's or Montreal's actual long term needs, just assuming Arizona is still in a rebuild and Montreal is trying to retool, so I mean no offense if I completely missed the mark. Here goes:

To Arizona:
Max Pacioretty, Pontus Aberg, Jack Dougherty, NSH 2018 1st, MTL 2018 1st, MTL 2018 2nd

To Montreal:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Derek Stepan

To Nashville:
Alex Galchenyuk, Paul Byron

f***ing awful for montreal .like atrocious. in a retool/rebuild year mtl isn't giving up it's high 1st + 2nd + a 23 year old scoring winger + byron who's young and cheap in that package and yes OEL is a terrific dman and yes he's worth more than pacioretty

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN

Also, as a Habs fan, i wouldn't go for Stepan as center solution. I would keep my assets to go for O'Reilly.

Arizona : Mtl 2018 1st (top 10 protected - becomes 2019 1st), Juulsen, Chi 2018 2nd, Fiala, Dougherty

Considering Fiala's putting up better numbers and is about a decade younger Nashville will pass.

As for the original deal, as a Nashville fan all I have to say is...Deal, no take backs.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
So the Habs ship out Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Byron, MTL 2018 1st, MTL 2018 2nd for OEL and Stepan. I can't see the Habs paying that kind of price especially with their 2018 1st maybe ending up being a top 5 pick. Also I don't see adding OEL and Stepan making this Habs team any better than what they currently are with Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, and Byron.

Plus the Habs shouldn't be trading any picks right now and especially not a potentially high 1st round pick this year. Way too steep of a price for me so no deal from this Habs fan.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland

Fiala is a top 6 player on an ELC, he's not going anywhere, especially for Pacioretty when NSH adds

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018

In theory, yes. But Patches is already having a down year and he’s not likely to put up impressive numbers playing with Arizona next season, so he could end up losing a lot of value between now and then. And if the Coyotes are going to move what is by far their best trade chip they’re going to want payment up front, not something that they might or might not be able to sell later.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

I don't think the Habs are willing to commit to Pacioretty long term and that's why he's on the trade block IMO.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
I don't think the Habs are willing to commit to Pacioretty long term and that's why he's on the trade block IMO.
Agree totally. That house is for sale and its gotta sell. Not giving the keys to the bank. That would be next year if he clears next tdl.

Reactions: sheed36

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad