Proposal: Idea for a Arizona-Montreal-Nashville deal

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
Had the idea yesterday and can't decide if it is feasible or not, but figured I would throw it out here and see what reaction it got. I am not very familiar with either Arizona's or Montreal's actual long term needs, just assuming Arizona is still in a rebuild and Montreal is trying to retool, so I mean no offense if I completely missed the mark. Here goes:

To Arizona:
Max Pacioretty, Pontus Aberg, Jack Dougherty, NSH 2018 1st, MTL 2018 1st, MTL 2018 2nd

To Montreal:
Oliver Ekman-Larsson, Derek Stepan

To Nashville:
Alex Galchenyuk, Paul Byron

Detelethisaccount

Jul 5, 2013
I can see Bergevin giving OEL a serious look, but the likely ask for Pacioretty will be a top 6 C

That's why I included Stepan, while not a 1C, he is a pretty good 2C IMO.

Its a no for Montreal.
The Habs needs draft picks and prospects, not players past their mid 20's

I can appreciate that, my trade is assuming Montreal is trying to retool not completely rebuild.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
That's why I included Stepan, while not a 1C, he is a pretty good 2C IMO.

I can appreciate that, my trade is assuming Montreal is trying to retool not completely rebuild.

Even with a retool Montreal would go for Stephan as Galchenyuk as more Value. Pacioretty for OEL is close. The rest is over payment by Montreal.
Galchenyuk Byron and Pacioretty could get Montreal Draisaitl.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
Even with a retool Montreal would go for Stephan as Galchenyuk as more Value. Pacioretty for OEL is close. The rest is over payment by Montreal.
Galchenyuk Byron and Pacioretty could get Montreal Draisaitl.

No, that package will not get you Draisaitl. OEL has more vaule than all 3 of those players combined and you think Patches for OEL is close? Montreal over values their players which is why they are in the situation they are in.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
Zero interest in stepan.
He's not the solution to the habs center problem.

Im assuming thats a OEL extended, but even then thats way too much to give up.
Galchenyuk + Pacioretty + a top 10 pick (possibly top 5) + Byron + 2nd.
No way we give up all that

Also Nashville gives up two meh prospects + late 1st rounder, and gets Galchenyuk + Byron??

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
You understand that OEL has played for the worst team in the league since coming into the NHL, right? Paches has had the privilege of playing in front of the best goaltender in the league and a ton of talent to compensate along the way. So when you look at +/- the stat means nothing when you play 20+ minutes with awful goaltending and no back up staff to help.

Montreal doesn't have the assests to get OEL unless they destroy what little future they have left in the Carey Price era.

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
If you're going to base OEL value based off this years play you should do the same for Pacioretty. Pacioretty has 24 points in 43 games as a forward.
Believe me i know. I know our offense and transition game from our D. And i know OEL would have more points playing with better players, the same can be said for Pacioretty who's never played with a #1 C.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
You understand that OEL has played for the worst team in the league since coming into the NHL, right? Paches has had the privilege of playing in front of the best goaltender in the league and a ton of talent to compensate along the way. So when you look at +/- the stat means nothing when you play 20+ minutes with awful goaltending and no back up staff to help.

Montreal doesn't have the assests to get OEL unless they destroy what little future they have left in the Carey Price era.

OEL is extremely overrated though. He is dreadful defensively and not as good as he appears offensively (other than scoring goals). He also is a -40, which you may claim is bad because of the team, but no one else on the team is even close to him (next closest is a -21). He also doesn't even lead his own team in points by a defenseman (Goligoski does), and barely leads them in ice time. He is highly overrated and yes he'd be better on a better all-around team, but he is by no means a #1 dman. I agree Arizona wouldn't do that trade, but it should be known that OEL is highly overrated when considering these deals. There's a reason his +/- is so much worse than everyone else's. I think an ideal spot for OEL would be on a good defensive team's 2nd pairing playing 17-18 minutes a night and slotted on their first PP unit.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Preds make out like bandits. Pacioretty to Arizona doesn't make sense for them but with the Habs 2018 1st going their way too they should take it especially if OEL is reluctant to re-sign. Habs lose massively here.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Lol Aberg is basically dead weight so a 2018 NSH 1st and Jack Dougherty gives us Galchenyuk and Byron?
Where are the papers to sign this?

Reactions: FierceFalcon

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I like the concept of the OP but Habs pay too much. Nashville not enough.

Also, as a Habs fan, i wouldn't go for Stepan as center solution. I would keep my assets to go for O'Reilly.

As far as OP goes what about :

To Habs : OEL + Strome
Nasville : Pacioretty
Arizona : Mtl 2018 1st (top 10 protected - becomes 2019 1st), Juulsen, Chi 2018 2nd, Fiala, Dougherty

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I like the concept of the OP but Habs pay too much. Nashville not enough.

Also, as a Habs fan, i wouldn't go for Stepan as center solution. I would keep my assets to go for O'Reilly.

As far as OP goes what about :

To Habs : OEL + Strome
Nasville : Pacioretty
Arizona : Mtl 2018 1st (top 10 protected - becomes 2019 1st), Juulsen, Chi 2018 2nd, Fiala, Dougherty

Not sure... MTL 1st will be big this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad