I'd Be Very Surprised if Edmonton Misses the Playoffs this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I like how you ignore that Leon Draisaitl even exists. :laugh:

I was banking on him playing 2W versus 3C, because, like the point you've missed: you're talking about centre depth with an 19-24-21 year old.

Let me know when you find a solid playoff team with that age range.

victor

Sep 6, 2003
I was banking on him playing 2W versus 3C, because, like the point you've missed: you're talking about centre depth with an 19-24-21 year old.

Edmonton has Lucic-Pouliot-Maroon on the left, and Eberle-Yakupov-Puljujarvi/Versteeg on the right.

I could see McLellan playing him like Pavelski, starting the game as a centre, and playing selected wing throughout the game.

RNH, Draisaitl, and McDavid are exceptional hockey players who bring a variety of skills to bear. Regardless of their ages, they're going to be difficult for teams to match up against. If their play in the WCOH is any indication, should be fun to watch.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

That 19-year-old isn't a normal 19-year-old though. He's probably already one of the five-to-ten top forwards in the league.

That allows the 24 and 21 year old to play minutes/roles that are more suitable to them.

Provided they can actually play together for more than 5 games. The Oilers really weren't able to run that config at all last year.

Also I think Adam Larsson is underrated like Chris Tanev is.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Their offensive depth is a 24 year old being considered their veteran centreman.

I'd take Kopitar-Carter, Getzlaf-Kesler-Vermette, Thorton - Couture every day over McDavid - Nuge if I was aiming to get into the playoffs this year. Hell, I'd take it twice on Sunday.

The Oil defence is probably in the back of the pacific either way. There's a ridiculous amount of talent in the Pacific. Even the people who will poopoo Vancouver underrate a guy like Tanev.

What days age matter? Edmonton has tremendous talent upfront. And yes, it is better than Anaheim and certainly LA.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I do. Anaheim had a horrific offseason and hired the worst possession coach in the NHL. The Ducks will miss Boudreau.

Ducks have won with Carlyle before and they're still a better team than the Oilers. Just because the Ducks may have downgraded to a potentially large degree doesn't mean that the Oilers became better than them. They didn't.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
Ducks have won with Carlyle before and they're still a better team than the Oilers. Just because the Ducks may have downgraded to a potentially large degree doesn't mean that the Oilers became better than them. They didn't.

Carlyle lead teams generally do very well early on in his tenure. He just wears on guys after a while. I expect Anaheim to have a huge year with him.

Roundy*

Aug 10, 2015
Let the Oiler fans have hope they need it to stay sane.

They will soon have to accept reality by December once they are out of contention for the playoffs, not long to wait hockey is back! :popcorn:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
What days age matter? Edmonton has tremendous talent upfront. And yes, it is better than Anaheim and certainly LA.

So. Wait.
Edmonton has better forwards, today, than a team that's won the cup twice in the past 5 years? They also have better forwards than a team that has scored over 100 goals more than them in the past 3 years?

I've been very adamant that I believe McDavid is in a league of his own somewhere near Sidney, but I don't think there's any comparison between Carter/Kopitar, Getzlaf/Kesler and Nuge/Draisaitl. Especially the LA duo.

Age, simply put, does matter. Tell me the last time a team lead by 20 year olds won a cup. In fact, I can tell you; the last time was '09 with Crosby, Malkin and Staal, all being 22-21-19 respectively. I simply do not see a Malkin, Malkin-lite, Malkin-esque, Bizarro-Malkin on the Oil roster. It's really crazy talk to think that this roster is a top offensive roster in the league; better than three teams that have been powerhouses in the West for the last half-decade.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
So. Wait.
Edmonton has better forwards, today, than a team that's won the cup twice in the past 5 years? They also have better forwards than a team that has scored over 100 goals more than them in the past 3 years?

I've been very adamant that I believe McDavid is in a league of his own somewhere near Sidney, but I don't think there's any comparison between Carter/Kopitar, Getzlaf/Kesler and Nuge/Draisaitl. Especially the LA duo.

Age, simply put, does matter. Tell me the last time a team lead by 20 year olds won a cup. In fact, I can tell you; the last time was '09 with Crosby, Malkin and Staal, all being 22-21-19 respectively. I simply do not see a Malkin, Malkin-lite, Malkin-esque, Bizarro-Malkin on the Oil roster. It's really crazy talk to think that this roster is a top offensive roster in the league; better than three teams that have been powerhouses in the West for the last half-decade.

I'm confused as to what you're arguing. Why should Nuge/Draisaitl have to compare with Kopitar/Carter or Getzlaf/Kesler? Did McDavid fall off the planet?

LA is a better team than Edmonton because of their coach and their defense, but their forward group after Kopitar/Carter/Toffoli is literally horrific.

Anaheim is a better team than Edmonton because of their defense and their depth, but their forward group is pretty awful after Getzlaf/Perry/Kesler/Rakell.

Edmonton's forwards in a vacuum are absolutely better than the Kings or the Ducks. But the latter two teams have a lot of things that Edmonton doesn't (like actual #1D) and if there's anything that's certain it's that Edmonton will spend at least half a season without a key player due to injury, whether that's McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, Eberle, Lucic, whoever. LA and Anaheim have proven that they can get to the playoffs consistently. All Edmonton has proven is that they can't stay healthy. But in a vacuum, Edmonton has more talented forwards.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Weren't Crosby, Malkin and Staal all in their early 20's when they won the cup?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

The issue is that it forces Letestu (shudders) into the 3C role and Lander at 4C. That's weak.

We're better with a 1-2-3 attack down the middle. We take a strength and make it a weakness, Drai at 3C can exploit other teams bottom 6 mismatches.

Sep 26, 2016
Most people will be surprised if the Oilers make the playoffs because the reality is they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt until they prove it by playing meaningful hockey post-AS break. Skepticism is completely fair.

I hope the OP is right though, Oilers fans deserve a team they can take pride in.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The issue is that it forces Letestu (shudders) into the 3C role and Lander at 4C. That's weak.

We're better with a 1-2-3 attack down the middle. We take a strength and make it a weakness, Drai at 3C can exploit other teams bottom 6 mismatches.

Only if he can do more with less. Who are his likely wingers? Maroon and Yakupov? Unless one of those guys breaks out offensively, Draisaitl's going to have to carry that line.

Very few players in this league can carry a line with sub-par linemates. I'm not sure if Draisaitl is at that level at this point in his career.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Only if he can do more with less. Who are his likely wingers? Maroon and Yakupov? Unless one of those guys breaks out offensively, Draisaitl's going to have to carry that line.

Very few players in this league can carry a line with sub-par linemates. I'm not sure if Draisaitl is at that level at this point in his career.

Pouliot and Pulju potentially. That could be a strong 3rd line.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Then that's a pretty weak 2nd line, though, if Maroon and Yak are flanking RNH.

Could easily be:
Maroon-McDavid-Yakupov
Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot-Drai-Pulju

That has potential as a top 9. Who knows though? It's put up or shut up time. If Yakupov doesn't show up, Versteeg easily take a spot and the lines reshuffle.

Having McDavid-Nuge-Drai down the middle gives us something to build off. No predictions, but I think there's legitimate light at the end of the tunnel.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Could easily be:
Maroon-McDavid-Yakupov
Lucic-Nuge-Eberle
Pouliot-Drai-Pulju

That has potential as a top 9. Who knows though? It's put up or shut up time. If Yakupov doesn't show up, Versteeg easily take a spot and the lines reshuffle.

Having McDavid-Nuge-Drai down the middle gives us something to build off. No predictions, but I think there's legitimate light at the end of the tunnel.

That top line likely won't last. McDavid's likely going to play 19+ minutes a night. No coach who wants to win hockey games will also have Yakupov and Maroon out there 19+ minutes as well.

I also don't see a scoring title for McDavid if those two are his regular wingers.

In any case, while having strength down the middle is certainly nice, I'm not sure the Oilers have the wingers to pull it off without basically making one of their centers an island unto themselves.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That top line likely won't last. McDavid's likely going to play 19+ minutes a night. No coach who wants to win hockey games will also have Yakupov and Maroon out there 19+ minutes as well.

I also don't see a scoring title for McDavid if those two are his regular wingers.

In any case, while having strength down the middle is certainly nice, I'm not sure the Oilers have the wingers to pull it off without basically making one of their centers an island unto themselves.

Him and Maroon played excellent together, Yak also played well with McDavid. He's like Crosby, he's almost better with players that aren't at his level. He doesn't need elite talent on his line, he plays best with a trigger man and big power forwards. He put up excellent numbers with both, maybe he wins a scoring title this year, maybe he doesn't? He's still got lots of work to do before he takes over as Sids heir. Might be a couple years away. Developing a winning culture and winning games consistently are more important than scoring titles.

Who knows though, if Yak doesn't show up, he's gone. Could be:
Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-Nuge-Versteeg
Pouliot-Drai-Pulju

The alternative of Letestu at 3C and Lander at 4C is a far worse option than rolling our 3Cs. I think having McDavid-Nuge-Drai down the middle developing as centres sets our future up the best.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

Lucic - McDavid - Eberle
Pouliot - RNH - Versteeg
Maroon - Draisaitl - Puljujarvi(sheltered)

Play Yakupov on the 4th line, fire him into the sun, whatever.

In any case, McDavid could totally be an island for us if that's what we need so I don't really see the problem here.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Pending no injuries there's no way they won't be at least a little better than last year. I'm still not expecting a playoff birth from them just yet.

It's tough to make predictions because so much can happen with injuries and/or players can just drop off out of nowhere but we could very easily, and most likely will, see 5 teams from the Central make the playoffs again. San Jose is absolutely a playoff team. Then you have at least 2 of LA, ANH, and CGY being as good as or better than Edmonton.

Maybe Lucic, Larsson, and a healthy McDavid will be enough but I just don't see it yet. There defenseman and bottom 6 forwards are nowhere near impressive enough to me yet. I don't see them consistently shutting down other team's best players.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I think theres a very real ( and sad ) possibilty that they dont make the playoffs for the next little while. Team is moribound.

How is the team moribound? We've had a ridiculous amount of turnover in the last two seasons. We've added help defensively, size throughout the lineup, and leadership. We moved out a guy who, while one of the best players on the world, might have been part of the problem in the locker room. By all accounts, and because so many of our core are new to the team in the past few years, I believe the "losing culture" to have been expunged.

We've purged our cancerous front office, and focussed bringing in experienced coaches.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Oilers have fantastic center depth, a solid starting goalie and their LD group isn't bad (Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse and Reinhart is a good group IMO). However, their RD group is atrocious even with Larsson, their wing depth is extremely poor after Lucic and Eberle and their bottom-6 is weak. I don't see them making any serious noise until they fix their RD and bottom-6.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
That top9 on paper looks >>>>>>>> to what it was last year on game 1, provided by Dra/RNH-Pulju are creating the 3rd line.
Good balance and 3 skilled scoring lines.
Looks like a completely new team and amazing to watch how much Chia has been able to change that in the last 12 months.

Larsson addition means less players on defense are asked to play on a role they aren't ready for, I'm confident he will calm down that defense.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Care to back that statement up with facts? Suter is the only one clearly better than Larsson, and if Klefbom stays healthy people are going to be eating their words on our "awful defense". Larsson-Klefbom is a legit top pairing, something we haven't had in a decade. Again, if Klefbom can stay healthy.

@DTMAboutHeart Top 10 Defensemen via Defensive Goals Above Replacement over the past 2 seasons

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad