I'd Be Very Surprised if Edmonton Misses the Playoffs this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ok, there's 7 teams (Ducks/Sharks/Kings/Hawks/Blues/Stars/Preds) that should make playoffs. I wouldn't count on more than one dropping out. There's also Minny that tried their best to miss playoffs but failed and got better this offseason. For these two possible spots there's also at least 3 contenders (Flames/Avs/Jets) that are not worse than Oilers.

So yes, while Oilers making playoffs isn't impossible, it isn't likely.

Now it's my belief the Oil will be a mid 80s point team, but, to just hit your first point... Those are the 7 teams that made the playoffs last year minus Minny.

Every year there's turnover. Dallas was dynamite this last year; what does a long term injury to Benn do to them? What if LA can't get out of the gate like every year minus this past one for the past few? What if Ducks ruin the system that made them great? Remember, they sucked until they strapped down defensively.

What if the PK experience doesn't work in Nashville? The Blues take a step back with their window? A year ago SJ couldn't seem to win a game, one finals where they got dummied and now they're sure fire.

There's a lot of things that can change. Saying these 7 teams will be there is foolish, yet it happens every year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
They should have taken Murray then maybe they would have been a bit better in 2015 and drafted Strome instead of McDavid.

Funny how people say that now though when Yak was a far more consensus #1 pick than Hall or RNH.

Yup. Hockey's future described him as having " great natural hockey sense" and gave him a 9.0 C rating.

He was the clear top pick in that year.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Now it's my belief the Oil will be a mid 80s point team, but, to just hit your first point... Those are the 7 teams that made the playoffs last year minus Minny.

Every year there's turnover. Dallas was dynamite this last year; what does a long term injury to Benn do to them? What if LA can't get out of the gate like every year minus this past one for the past few? What if Ducks ruin the system that made them great? Remember, they sucked until they strapped down defensively.

What if the PK experience doesn't work in Nashville? The Blues take a step back with their window? A year ago SJ couldn't seem to win a game, one finals where they got dummied and now they're sure fire.

There's a lot of things that can change. Saying these 7 teams will be there is foolish, yet it happens every year.

I think the Oilers could catch fire, there is a lot of talent. It's their wingers that
may be a weakness (I think Sekeras, Larsson, Klefbom and Nurse are a good nucleus defensively) this season.

My prediction for the West:

San Jose-104 points
Los Angeles-99
Edmonton-94
Anaheim-91

St. Louis-98
Colorado-96
Chicago-95
Winnipeg-92

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
I think the Oilers could catch fire, there is a lot of talent. It's their wingers that
may be a weakness (I think Sekeras, Larsson, Klefbom and Nurse are a good nucleus defensively) this season.

San Jose-104 points
Los Angeles-99
Edmonton-94
Anaheim-91

St. Louis-98
Colorado-96
Chicago-95
Winnipeg-92

Oil finish ahead of Anaheim? Don't see it.

Oilers D is still way to weak. I can see them as being an Avalanche type team from a few years back. Exciting to watch and might squeek in, but will bow out relatively quickly.

For the life of me, I don't get why they don't deal RNH for another D man. It really makes no sense. You don't need him.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't mind the Hall/Larsson trade from an Edmonton perspective, because quality D-men has been #1 in the Oilers' long list of missing ingredients for years.

On paper, they're a better team now than they've been for some time, but I think they still need a big bruiser back there on the blue line. They need a guy who scares other players from going to the front of the net (don't think Larsson is that guy). I'm thinking of the Jeff Beukeboom type.

Surprised they've held onto Yakupov; I thought he was gonzo. Maybe one more chance for him. I dunno, his hockey IQ looks hopeless to me, but I guess there's that small chance he'll yet become a 'Joe Murphy' type and have a late-bloom into borderline 1st-line status, and sneak out two or three really good seasons.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

San Jose-104 points
Los Angeles-99
Edmonton-94
Anaheim-91

St. Louis-98
Colorado-96
Chicago-95
Winnipeg-92

I can't see them making that big of a leap. I see them as likely 5th or 6th in the Pacific, somewhere around .500 likely a bit below.

The defense is still weak, the centre depth while strong is still young. I don't think any of the big lines out west are really scared of Nugent Hopkins lining up across them to shut'em down. Nor McDavid; he's not there yet and likely won't be for a few more seasons. The bottom 6 is still weak; and Larsson, who had been a protected 2D in Jersey now has to be a shutdown 1D in Edmonton.

The team improved, but it didn't go quantum.

A 5 win increase should be manageable for them; and a sufficient hope for their faithful. I don't think anyone in Edmonton would complain about a meaningful game in February. I cannot see them leapfrogging 4 teams. In my mind the only way that happens is if:
A) McDavid goes all out in a 100+ bid.
B) Larsson ends up being a true 1D
C) Talbot is healthy all season, plays about 70 games and stands on his head for 40 of them.
D) team awareness and defence goes from 3 to about 9 (on a scale of 10).

It's a ton to ask for to be honest.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB

Oilers D is still way to weak. I can see them as being an Avalanche type team from a few years back. Exciting to watch and might squeek in, but will bow out relatively quickly.

For the life of me, I don't get why they don't deal RNH for another D man. It really makes no sense. You don't need him.

ummm...yes we do

McDavid is 19
Draisaitl will be 21 when the season starts

if you've watch any of the World Cup, RNH is a very good 2-way centre that can play up and down the line-up and play the PK or PP

center depth is a good thing

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

San Jose-104 points
Los Angeles-99
Edmonton-94
Anaheim-91

St. Louis-98
Colorado-96
Chicago-95
Winnipeg-92

Did the NHL go back to the old point system, where OTL no longer count as a point? You've only got one team finishing with over 100 points. Last year five teams did it, with two additional teams really close.

In any case, I can't see Edmonton with their current blueline being better than Anaheim. Not unless Getzlaf and Perry both regress to the point they're no longer top line players any longer. I also can't see Edmonton finishing with only 1 less point than Chicago.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Dallas, Minnesota and Calgary.

People always do this every year. They predict the same 8 teams to make the playoffs in every conference. That rarely ever occurs.

People predict the Wild will miss the playoffs every year too... yet they keep getting in.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
People predict the Wild will miss the playoffs every year too... yet they keep getting in.

Boy did they ever try to please the masses last year.

A joint Wild and Hiller effort kept the standings as is :laugh:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Boy did they ever try to please the masses last year.

A joint Wild and Hiller effort kept the standings as is :laugh:

Yeah, no doubt there... Hence why the HUGE coach upgrade for the Wild this year though. Boudreau >>>>>>>> Yeo.

The Wild will still be there.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Ok, there's 7 teams (Ducks/Sharks/Kings/Hawks/Blues/Stars/Preds) that should make playoffs. I wouldn't count on more than one dropping out. There's also Minny that tried their best to miss playoffs but failed and got better this offseason. For these two possible spots there's also at least 3 contenders (Flames/Avs/Jets) that are not worse than Oilers.

So yes, while Oilers making playoffs isn't impossible, it isn't likely.

The NHL isn't that predictable. The Ducks had what I think is the worst offseason of any NHL team. There's definite issues with their roster. The Stars missed the playoffs 2 years ago and I could see them regressing. LA missed 2 years ago and personally, I am not a big fan of the overall talent on that team.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016

I do. Anaheim had a horrific offseason and hired the worst possession coach in the NHL. The Ducks will miss Boudreau.

Gargyn

Oct 19, 2006
Kelowna, BC
I don't see either the Kings or the Ducks as locks to make the playoffs that most people are predicting. Kings and Ducks might have the worst collective group of forwards in the league. Kings literally only have Kopitar, Carter and Toffoli who are very good. I don't believe in Pearson at all and Gaborik might get a toenail infection in week 1. Ducks have 2 great players up front and 2 good ones in Kesler and Silfverberg. But who's playing left side with Getzlaf? And not sold on Gibson at all. If they move Fowler for futures, they are in a world of hurt.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I don't see either the Kings or the Ducks as locks to make the playoffs that most people are predicting. Kings and Ducks might have the worst collective group of forwards in the league. Kings literally only have Kopitar, Carter and Toffoli who are very good. I don't believe in Pearson at all and Gaborik might get a toenail infection in week 1. Ducks have 2 great players up front and 2 good ones in Kesler and Silfverberg. But who's playing left side with Getzlaf? And not sold on Gibson at all. If they move Fowler for futures, they are in a world of hurt.

I agree 100%. These constant posts of "7-8" locks in the West and no one thinking LA or Anaheim could possibly miss is silly. LA missed 2 years ago and last year they won 1 playoff game. There are serious holes in that roster. As you said, big issues with their forwards and their depth on the bluline.
Anaheim had such a terrible offseason. Randy Carlyle replacing Boudreau? Major downgrade. And those forwards leave a lot to be desired. As you said. Both teams are being overrated.

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
With the improvements in Calgary, Edm, and Arizona it is not unreasonable to see that either LA or Anaheim (less likely SJ) will falter. I don't believe those two are locks for the playoffs anymore.

McJC

May 2, 2010
Edmonton

Anaheim should be the target for the Oilers. Randy Carlyle seems like a step backwards. Getz and Perry are getting older. A relatively healthy Ducks team had scoring issues last year and they essentially did nothing to fix it (in fact, there's rumours of Rakell leaving to Russia). And to top it all off, they're playing a wild card tandem in Gibson and Bernier in net.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'll echo what others have stated. There is no reason that Edmonton's roster (if healthy) can't contend with the Ducks or Kings.

Edmonton's Defense isn't as good as either group but I think is being quite underrated.

Their offensive depth, especially down the middle is superior to every team in the division.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
With the improvements in Calgary, Edm, and Arizona it is not unreasonable to see that either LA or Anaheim (less likely SJ) will falter. I don't believe those two are locks for the playoffs anymore.

Trouba situation aside, the Jets should improve too. If they can get a middle of the pack PP and PK they will make the playoffs.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I'll echo what others have stated. There is no reason that Edmonton's roster (if healthy) can't contend with the Ducks or Kings.

Edmonton's Defense isn't as good as either group but I think is being quite underrated.

Their offensive depth, especially down the middle is superior to every team in the division.

Their offensive depth is a 24 year old being considered their veteran centreman.

I'd take Kopitar-Carter, Getzlaf-Kesler-Vermette, Thorton - Couture every day over McDavid - Nuge if I was aiming to get into the playoffs this year. Hell, I'd take it twice on Sunday.

The Oil defence is probably in the back of the pacific either way. There's a ridiculous amount of talent in the Pacific. Even the people who will poopoo Vancouver underrate a guy like Tanev.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Their offensive depth is a 24 year old being considered their veteran centreman.

I'd take Kopitar-Carter, Getzlaf-Kesler-Vermette, Thorton - Couture every day over McDavid - Nuge if I was aiming to get into the playoffs this year. Hell, I'd take it twice on Sunday.

The Oil defence is probably in the back of the pacific either way. There's a ridiculous amount of talent in the Pacific. Even the people who will poopoo Vancouver underrate a guy like Tanev.

I like how you ignore that Leon Draisaitl even exists. :laugh:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
McDavid-RNH-Draisaitl only got to play like 5 games together last year, just too much bad luck with freak injuries.

So yeah I agree that will be key for the Oiler this year if they can play more games with that actual center depth it will make a difference. World Cup tournament has been great for all three, all three should be coming into camp roaring to go.

Playoffs are gonna be a crapshoot in the West, if any of the teams from last year in the West think they're in just because of reputation .... they're going to have Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg, and Colorado coming hard at them IMO. No one in the West safe, I could see teams like Anaheim, Minnesota, and LA being vulnerable.

For the Oilers I don't know about playoffs as a lock, but 80 points or so should be more than doable now as the lower end, no excuses to be lower than that.

Need to stay healthy though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce