I'd Be Very Surprised if Edmonton Misses the Playoffs this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I know the entire planet will disagree with me, but Edmonton with that talent won't miss the playoffs forever. That top 6 forwards they have are sick. I'd take them over any teams forwards.
I do think Talbot was a smart acquisition and is the real deal. The defense isn't a source of strength for the team, but on paper, it looks not bad.
Please proceed to tell me how crazy I am.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Lol, that defense is about as bad as it gets. Forward group a mix match of pegs in square holes. No chance they can beat out sharks, kings, ducks, for a spot in the playoffs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Lol, that defense is about as bad as it gets. Forward group a mix match of pegs in square holes. No chance they can beat out sharks, kings, ducks, for a spot in the playoffs.

Do not agree.
Kings and Ducks take a step back imo. Neither has more overall talent than the Oilers. The Ducks added no one except the worst possession coach in the NHL. I think the Ducks had the worst offseason of any team.

Mathew Barzal

Walk It Like I Tocchet
Jun 5, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The Oiler's problem is that they always have a terrible youth-vet ratio. It's almost impossible for the coaches to focus on giving every single youth the guidance they need when they're constantly icing entire lines consisting of players under 25.

It doesn't matter which generational phenom they have if there isn't a proper support system for them.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The Oiler's problem is that they always have a terrible youth-vet ratio. It's almost impossible for the coaches to focus on giving every single youth the guidance they need when they're constantly icing entire lines consisting of players under 25.

It doesn't matter which generational phenom they have if there isn't a proper support system for them.

People always say this. The biggest issue for years isn't anything to do with vets. They had terrible coaching, terrible management, and could not draft after the first round if their life depended on it. Vets are way down the list.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Do not agree.
Kings and Ducks take a step back imo. Neither has more overall talent than the Oilers. The Ducks added no one except the worst possession coach in the NHL. I think the Ducks had the worst offseason of any team.

Im not sure what this has to do with anything? Adam larsson is borderline terrible, at times, and the oilers have no structure or enough winning experience. Talbot and larsson as the two cornerstones on the backend is literally sad and just unfair for both players.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Not saying that I fully expect playoffs, but the bolded is somewhat puzzling. Not sure how you figure that with how much more balanced the top 9 is compared to what it once was. There's 5 guys over 6'2 in the top 9, with a ton of skill, speed and quality centre depth, and of course, there's a McDavid.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Im not sure what this has to do with anything? Adam larsson is borderline terrible, at times, and the oilers have no structure or enough winning experience. Talbot and larsson as the two cornerstones on the backend is literally sad and just unfair for both players.

Understand Larrson argument, but Talbot? You do not need a top 5 stud goalie to win in the NHl. It was a smart pickup.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Not the biggest fan of the Hall trade, but if any team can give up a Taylor Hall for defensive help it is Edmonton. They are stacked upfront.

And wheres the defensive help? Have you ever watched adam play? Hes not a help. Hes a mess. Chiarelli is banking on his potential. So for right now, based on what adam does currently, the oilers are in big trouble. Again.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Not saying that I fully expect playoffs, but the bolded is somewhat puzzling. Not sure how you figure that with how much more balanced the top 9 is compared to what it once was. There's 5 guys over 6'2 in the top 9, with a ton of skill, speed and quality centre depth, and of course, there's a McDavid.

Size has no correlation with winning. What the hell? McDavid is nice and all, but he continues to play as reckless as he does and hes going to go the lindros route.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Anaheim
Chicago
LA
San Jose
St. Louis
Nashville
Dallas
Minnesota/Calgary

So which team(s) is/are the Oilers finishing ahead of?

Dallas, Minnesota and Calgary.

People always do this every year. They predict the same 8 teams to make the playoffs in every conference. That rarely ever occurs.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
And wheres the defensive help? Have you ever watched adam play? Hes not a help. Hes a mess. Chiarelli is banking on his potential. So for right now, based on what adam does currently, the oilers are in big trouble. Again.

Edmonton has a young group of D which will be better.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Talent sure does. That top 6 of Edmonton is loaded with great skill.

All of whom who have done nothing but lose at the NHL level. Lose lose and lose. For how many years and counting? Having great skill is half the battle.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
All of whom who have done nothing but lose at the NHL level. Lose lose and lose. For how many years and counting? Having great skill is half the battle.

So you think they'll never make the playoffs? There's no chance of that with the talent on that team.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Talent sure does. That top 6 of Edmonton is loaded with great skill.
So you think they'll never make the playoffs? There's no chance of that with the talent on that team.

Sure. They have great talent no doubt, even before this year with the old forward group.

It was/is only a part of what they need to be a competitive team.

Talent alone doesn't make you a playoff team. Especially with a defense that lacks a #1 D or enough depth when pit against other Pacific playoff-bound teams.

Last edited:

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014

I think theres a very real ( and sad ) possibilty that they dont make the playoffs for the next little while. Team is moribound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad