OT: Ice Storm North of Montreal

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Is anybody else still without power? In Laval and on the North shore we got walloped with a big ice storm. Trees are down everywhere and there are still 250,000 homes without power. Going on almost 24 hours for me in Laval. Last night was ok, but don't know if i'll spend another night with the kids if its that cold in the house.

It crazy, because I work in Old Montreal, and there was almost nothing in terms of ice yesterday, If you go 20-25 km north, it's like night and day.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’ve been without power since yesterday at 2 PM. The house is cold, I’ll have a ton of food to throw out and all restaurants in my neighborhood have lineups. Some streets are blocked due to fallen trees. Yeah, it’s become unbearable, I can’t go through another night like the last. I’m going to have to crash at someone’s house.

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
I'm in RDP and have not had power since yesterday afternoon. Scheduled to be back by 10:30 pm tonight.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
upload_2019-4-9_11-48-16.png

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I’ve been without power since yesterday at 2 PM. The house is cold, I’ll have a ton of food to throw out and all restaurants in my neighborhood have lineups. Some streets are blocked due to fallen trees. Yeah, it’s become unbearable, I can’t go through another night like the last. I’m going to have to crash at someone’s house.

I hear you....Still undecided if i'll spend another night without heat at home. Food options we're super limited yesterday as those places that were open and had power had huge lineups. It was finally a peanut butter sandwich night. The kids didn't seem to mind :laugh:

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
In MTL we have power and it's snowing like it's january.

Yeah i'm looking out my winter and i'd swear we;re back in January. I guess summer was between 2pm last Saturday and 5pm Sunday. I must have missed it this year.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Godzilla

Jun 7, 2011
Montreal
Gotta love Hydro though.....net income of over 3 billion dollars, prices increasing every single year, and yet they cant figure out how to stop 3mm of rain to totally wreak havoc on their shitty network.

Reactions: Smokin Budaj

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
Is it just like in 1998?

Probably not quite as bad as it's not as wide spread and the Hydro Quebec Infrastructure (in terms of towers anyways) seems to have held up better. But I would say that there's almost 1-2 cm of ice on everything where I live. After 1998, it's the second worse I've seen by far. We have 2 huge trees in the backyard. One lost 2 major branches (that didn't touch the house thank god) and the other bigger tree lost a lot of smaller branches but the big branches that hang over the house are still holding up (praying). That's what's causing the problems for Hydro Quebec. There a broken branches and trees everywhere.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

If you don't constantly open/close fridge and freezer you should be ok for a good 24 hour period especially considering the house is cold

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
We've been able to endure all kinds of storm. Neither the first. Nor the last. That's our lovely country sending us some love. It's not nice but hand in hand we'll overcome it.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hear you....Still undecided if i'll spend another night without heat at home. Food options we're super limited yesterday as those places that were open and had power had huge lineups. It was finally a peanut butter sandwich night. The kids didn't seem to mind :laugh:

I have put all milk products in my coolers and placed them outside where it’s now minus two, so it should keep them from going bad.

Then I saw a propane truck down the street and convinced the guy to fill my tank so I can run my fireplace.

I can sleep next to the fireplace.

For restaurants, drive to Montreal, no lineups.

You can grab a takeout chicken at Adonis if you’re stuck for supper or at Costco but I wouldn’t want to sleep another night in the cold if I had young kids. Hoping this helps.

Reactions: lo striver

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you don't constantly open/close fridge and freezer you should be ok for a good 24 hour period especially considering the house is cold

That’s really the max. I’ve opened my fridge after 24 hours for first time and it was semi cold. Just in time to move stuff outdoors.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I remember people sleeping in the parking lot where I worked in ‘98. There was a family of five with their dog roughing it out of an old Volvo station wagon who kept coming in and bogarting the complementary coffee. When we figured out why they were there, we got them some food and a flat of water.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Probably not quite as bad as it's not as wide spread and the Hydro Quebec Infrastructure (in terms of towers anyways) seems to have held up better. But I would say that there's almost 1-2 cm of ice on everything where I live. After 1998, it's the second worse I've seen by far. We have 2 huge trees in the backyard. One lost 2 major branches (that didn't touch the house thank god) and the other bigger tree lost a lot of smaller branches but the big branches that hang over the house are still holding up (praying). That's what's causing the problems for Hydro Quebec. There a broken branches and trees everywhere.

I had fallen branches on my property and had to help the propane delivery guy to get the hose through the gate as it was frozen shut.

I’m now listening to the Bergevin PC in my car, lol.

And I lost the cables to recharge my phone, so I’m royally screwed. Maybe I’ll go get a plug in charger at Canadian tire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad