Speculation: Ian Cole's next contract

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Aaron Portzline of The Athletic surveyed a bunch of agents and wrote that he expects Cole's contract to be in the $4.5 million range.

Does that seem reasonable?

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He’s a guy who can fill in the top 4 and do well but you don’t want him there permanently, he doesn’t have the consistency playing more minutes. If he gets more good luck to him but should be more in the 3 - 3.3 range.

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
I think CBJ re-signs him. He probably gets 3.5 for 4 years which is an over pay for what he brings but its one that teams would over pay and feel good about because he does bring intangibles. He seems like a good dude and if CBJ feels like they are a playoff team, hes a guy that is willing to get into the grit if thats what it takes to succeed. As a blues fan I wish him nothing but good fortune.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Proven to be a shot blocking, PKing, smash mouth 5D on a cup winner. I was high on him and his unheralded offensive skills in PIT and still think he is a late bloomer who could rise to the challenge of being a permanent 4D.

I think on the UFA market he gets overpaid at ~4.25m x 4y

Not every team will offer him the fourth year, but the highest bidder probably will.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
The Pens had problems before Cole was dealt. He’s a serviceable player, but he wouldn’t have fixed those problems.

Last edited:

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
I love Ian Cole the hockey player, and I can see somebody giving that to him...but that's pushing it IMO. The margin of error with that kind of cap hit is razor thin with a #4/5. He's worth it on his best days, but his game does have flaws that would make me uncomfortable with that high of a cap hit (namely selfish penalties) if he goes to a team that spends to the cap.

Still, quality UFA defensemen options are always in high demand, and Ian Cole is a quality player with a playoff proven resume. He's a prime candidate to be overpaid.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
responsible defensive play isnt conducive to winning games?

A) They had to be “responsible” defensively for the better of games - every game.

B) They didn’t actually play “responsible defensively.”

C) Cole was on the team while all of this happened.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
A) They had to be “responsible” defensively for the better of games - every game.

B) They didn’t actually play “responsible defensively.”

C) Cole was on the team while all of this happened.
They backend was better with Cole. He played really well for them (much to my surprise). I get that Letang is a fan favorite for a fair % of Pens fans, but I think he's their best tradable asset

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Unfortunately, its very reasonable. The upcoming UFA D market is pretty underwhelming, to say the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad