Speculation: Ian Cole's next contract

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He’s a guy who can fill in the top 4 and do well but you don’t want him there permanently, he doesn’t have the consistency playing more minutes. If he gets more good luck to him but should be more in the 3 - 3.3 range.

He'd probably good value up until 3.5m, anything more and you're getting into risky territory. He's got the ability to be a top 4 defender but he lacks consistency. Ideally you want him anchoring your bottom pairing or possibly on your 2nd pairing if you have a good 3rd pairing.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
They backend was better with Cole. He played really well for them (much to my surprise). I get that Letang is a fan favorite for a fair % of Pens fans, but I think he's their best tradable asset

You haven't visited the Pens board recently then. There are Pens fans who would trade him for a bag of pucks. Others, however, recognize what he brings to the team... when he's on his game. Clearly, that wasn't the case this season.

You're underrating Letang while slightly overrating Cole.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
You haven't visited the Pens board recently then. There are Pens fans who would trade him for a bag of pucks. Others, however, recognize what he brings to the team... when he's on his game. Clearly, that wasn't the case this season.

You're underrating Letang while slightly overrating Cole.
Im not underrating Letang. I know what he brings offensively. But he's not Brent Burns.

I think keeping Letang wastes what time Crosby & Malkin have left. The team has enough firepower (though 1-2 depth forwards should probably be moved as well).

I think Schultz could fill the top PP role while saving on cap (unless they can find a younger dman with similar skill set). Use the additional monies to sure up the back end

Reactions: hockey07278771

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Im not underrating Letang. I know what he brings offensively. But he's not Brent Burns.

I think keeping Letang wastes what time Crosby & Malkin have left. The team has enough firepower (though 1-2 depth forwards should probably be moved as well).

I think Schultz could fill the top PP role while saving on cap (unless they can find a younger dman with similar skill set). Use the additional monies to sure up the back end

The Pens have won 2 Stanley Cups (2009, 2016) with Letang, and he was a key player on both. How is that a "waste"?

I get your line of thinking, but your assessment of Letang is off.

Reactions: Riptide

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
The Pens have won 2 Stanley Cups (2009, 2016) with Letang, and he was a key player on both. How is that a "waste"?

I get your line of thinking, but your assessment of Letang is off.
Letang missed the entire 2016 playoff (as well as half the season though he was having a stellar year). But I think my assessment of what he brings to the table is fair. I also think that if PIT wants to make a few more deep playoff runs before the clock runs out on Crosby/Malkin, theyre going to have to make some tough decisions. IMO, Letang is one that warrants consideration.

But at the end of the day its just my opinion

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Letang missed the entire 2016 playoff (as well as half the season though he was having a stellar year). But I think my assessment of what he brings to the table is fair. I also think that if PIT wants to make a few more deep playoff runs before the clock runs out on Crosby/Malkin, theyre going to have to make some tough decisions. IMO, Letang is one that warrants consideration.

But at the end of the day its just my opinion

You must be thinking of 2017, where the wound up beating the Preds without him. The year before, 2016, they defeated the Sharks. This past season saw him play the worst hockey of his career, even after being a game breaker under Sullivan.

WingsOverAvs

Non Right Winger
Jun 27, 2011
Orlando FL
You must be thinking of 2017, where the wound up beating the Preds without him. The year before, 2016, they defeated the Sharks.
yes....but the point remains, they were able to do it without him. Dont see why they couldnt again if they make the right offseason moves

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
yes....but the point remains, they were able to do it without him. Dont see why they couldnt again if they make the right offseason moves

Because the defence repeatedly turned pucks over and missed passes, only for the goaltender (Fleury and Murray) to have their back. Did you not watch them play?

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
of course I did. My recollection just differs from yours

Cleary.

Anyways, Cole will definitely get paid. He made the most of his time in Pittsburgh, and I'm sure other GMs recognize what he brought to ice during those years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

No one is saying they need to keep Letang because of the PP. How many other Dmen on the Pens can consistently win the puck and are above average passers?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Aaron Portzline of The Athletic surveyed a bunch of agents and wrote that he expects Cole's contract to be in the $4.5 million range.

Does that seem reasonable?

Seems a little high, but then you never know. 2 time cup winner, can skate, plays a gritty game, PKs and can move the puck a little. Russell got 4x4m just recently. So while I think a more realistic number for Cole is in the 3.75-3.9m range, you never know as some GMs can be really stupid.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
I could see Buffalo throwing money at him since the sturdiest d partner they have to pair Dahlin with as he transitions to the league is literally a tire on fire. And the tire is flat.

Reactions: Chainshot

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Cole would have been deterrent to the play of Wilson in the playoffs. That was where he was missed most by the Penguins. I think that 4 for 4 ( like Wendy's ) could land him but the ship sailed for the Pens when they elected to sign Schultz, Maata, Dumo, and that turd Hunwick. I am hearing that Vegas has a interest in bringing him there and that his services and experience against the Caps might have made a big difference in the outcome. Cole has never really been allowed to grow into increased ice time and there are many teams that offer that situation. Cole really looked good at around 20 minutes but I also think his shot deserves some powerplay time which he never has gotten much of.

Devilsrock17

Jun 20, 2018
2 or 3 years are more likely for Cole teams to consider...New Jersey,Philadelphia, Arizona but watch out for Colorado

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad