Speculation: Ian Cole

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

We shall see what happens but Hawks have talked to Cole camp

He is not the guy most Hawk fans would prefer (That would be Calvin de Haan) but Cole isn't a terrible fallback option if he is guy Hawks bring in

We need the help and he is type of defender team needs

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Cole is a warrior who played significant minutes on 2 cup runs and after he joined the Blue Jackets they really took off (not saying it was because of him, but the guy has been part of winning a lot of hockey games the last couple years). If your D lacks defensive prowess, physicality and a guy in general you can trust to be competitive against anyone then Cole is your best bet this FA.

That said, he's right around that age where with his style of play he might end up trending down in a few years, and im sure there will be a lot of interest so he's probably going to end up with a bigger contract than people hope.

I think Toronto would be a nice fit.

If he can play either side would be a nice partner for Rielly.

He can and i think it would be a great fit. Reminds me of Methot/EK in a sense that Rielly can make Cole not look out of place playing top 4 minutes and they can compliment eachother very well.

But there's probably a dozen teams that could see them pairing Cole with one of their puck moving dman.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
He is his own worst enemy guy is always in the box. Good on D when he doesnt hurt you in PIM.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
this guys going to get paid today ; would love to have him join the isles but he might get too expensive

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I doubt that...he is what he is...if someone does a 5 yr deal, sure, but a 2-3 yr deal for 4m per would be ok...maybe front load it to buyout later

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
From Scott Powers of Athletic

Behind a paywall though

Defenseman Ian Cole won’t be signing with the Blackhawks, a source said on Sunday morning. Cole and the Blackhawks had discussions, but could not agree on term.

It doesn’t sound like defenseman John Moore is likely to sign with the Blackhawks. A league executive said Saturday night he believed Moore was considering the Boston Bruins and New York Islanders.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Would love him back, was a total beast for the pens in the two cup runs. Type of guy you go into battle with and would block a shot with his face (and has).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad