Value of: Ian Cole to the Leafs

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Melnyk takes that and runs

which 2? I can imagine Vegas/Zona with ample cap space taking on a big salary winger to get a couple key assets.

Brown + a top 5 protected 1st this year....do they do it?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Yeah I would def take him on our 3rd pair. Gritty veteran playoff warrior. Would be a great mentor besides Dermott too.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Only makes sense if he plays the right which I'm assuming you don't know...

He can play the right.

still though this isnt the kinda deal the leafs need to make. 2nd+ prospect to slightly improve out #6d from carrick to cole? no thanks

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
They play different positions.....

What side does Hainsey play and what way does he shoot? Cole is one of the better PK defensemen in the league. An upgrade is an upgrade...............................

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Yeah I would def take him on our 3rd pair. Gritty veteran playoff warrior. Would be a great mentor besides Dermott too.

depends on cost.

3rd rd pick + B prospect (Gauthier/Timashov/Valiev etc) sure

2nd + better prospect? no

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
which 2? I can imagine Vegas/Zona with ample cap space taking on a big salary winger to get a couple key assets.

Brown + a top 5 protected 1st this year....do they do it?

I was only kidding but my guess is whichever way he saves the most money that’s the deal Dorion takes.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
What side does Hainsey play and what way does he shoot? Cole is one of the better PK defensemen in the league. An upgrade is an upgrade...............................

leafs are 4th in the league in PK%. an upgrade is an upgrade but it still depends on cost.
I personally dont think Cole is worth a 2nd+

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I was only kidding but my guess is whichever way he saves the most money that’s the deal Dorion takes.

he would be saving like 30m so i think he would do it lol. Ottawa deserves a better owner

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
he would be saving like 30m so i think he would do it lol. Ottawa deserves a better owner

Bobby Ryan no retention by the Sens I don’t think that is possible. I didn’t think packaging him with Karlsson would be financially possible for a contender either - but now with these 5 team deals where one acts as a mule, requiring pivot tables to keep track of all the moving pieces - I’m not so sure?

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Ian Cole is probably the best rental defenseman available - maybe second to Mike Green. That might say more about the market than the player, but it's true nonetheless.

If Nick Holden brings back a 3rd and a prospect, then Cole should be worth at least a 2nd.

Brassard was the best center available and we all know how that turned out

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Our top 4 is fine and wouldn't be the reason why we lose a playoff round. Aiming higher means giving up a lot more than a 3rd.

Cole is a playoff warrior. Whichever playoff team acquires him is going to be happy.

Solid bottom pairing that can spot start 2nd pairing if needed.

Reactions: SensFactor

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I think OTT will get quite a bit for Cole. Especially with the salary retained. I think a team with pay up a 2nd + a decent prospect. The Brassard deal will look good in the end for the SENS.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Ian Cole can play on his offside so it wouldnt be a problem. He's a great penalty killer and brings a lot of those so called "intagibles" Babcock loves.

I dont know if we're gonna get him, but I'm really confident the leafs will be one of the teams in on him until he gets traded

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Bobby Ryan no retention by the Sens I don’t think that is possible. I didn’t think packaging him with Karlsson would be financially possible for a contender either - but now with these 5 team deals where one acts as a mule, requiring pivot tables to keep track of all the moving pieces - I’m not so sure?

yeah no contender can afford to add nearly 14 mil in cap unless the sens eat a significant chunk of ryans salary and take a couple expiring contracts back.

Vegas could probably do it. Karlsson + Ryan for Brannstrom, Suzuki,Sbisa, 1st, 2nd?

vegas probably make it to at least the confernece finals in that scenario

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Babcock right now has musical chairs going with Polak and Carrick as the 6th D. Both those players are rotating in and out every game.

Babcock says Polak is a better penalty killer and a Bigger/Meaner player.....While Carrick is more of a puck mover and trust worthy player with the puck.

Ian Cole is essentially a mix between them both. Thats why I think Ian Cole would be a prime trade target for the leafs

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
I don't even care if he can't. He'll still be an upgrade over Polak.
I'll pony up a 2nd pick for someone that's an upgrade AND a good fit. We don't know who is and isn't available but I'm sure there's a better fit out there.

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
Babcock right now has musical chairs going with Polak and Carrick as the 6th D. Both those players are rotating in and out every game.

Babcock says Polak is a better penalty killer and a Bigger/Meaner player.....While Carrick is more of a puck mover and trust worthy player with the puck.

Ian Cole is essentially a mix between them both. Thats why I think Ian Cole would be a prime trade target for the leafs

I’d prefer using that 2nd(+?) and adding it to the assets from moving JVR and go for Tanev or McDonagh.

Reactions: New Liskeard

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
I’d prefer using that 2nd(+?) and adding it to the assets from moving JVR and go for Tanev or McDonagh.

I mean sure I guess. I didnt really mention any trade offers. I was just talking fit wise.

Also, its gonna take a lot more to get McDonagh than JVR + 2nd. Idk why rangers would even want JVR

Marshy

Behind Enemy Lines
Oct 3, 2007
Ottawa
I mean sure I guess. I didnt really mention any trade offers. I was just talking fit wise.

Also, its gonna take a lot more to get McDonagh than JVR + 2nd. Idk why rangers would even want JVR

No the JVR trade would be with team X and then add those assets to what it would cost for Cole. You’re upgrading from Ian Cole using assets from a JVR trade. Now if Vancouver wants a first and a top prospect like Kapanen and a third for Tanev the Leafs can stomach that as the JVR deal softened the blow a bit.

Leafs need a top 4 defensive D. JVR is a luxury and not a need to me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad