Value of: Ian Cole to the Leafs

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Cole shoots left, Leafs shouldn't be interested.

Dont see a spot in the top 6 for him considering Dermott is going no where

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Cole shoots left, Leafs shouldn't be interested.

Dont see a spot in the top 6 for him considering Dermott is going no where

Yes, a rookie with limited experience in the NHL trumps a guy that won back to back Cups and played well in the play-offs. No one is suggesting Dermott is going back in a deal, but stop ...

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yes, a rookie with limited experience in the NHL trumps a guy that won back to back Cups and played well in the play-offs. No one is suggesting Dermott is going back in a deal, but stop ...
Ya but Dermott is on the team already, doesn't cost any assets, extra contract spots or extra cap...

If we are going by that logic then I'm sure the islanders would love to make a trade of Barzal for Hagelin. I mean why wouldn't they want a vet with multiple cups for some rookie with little nhl experience

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
If we are going by that logic then I'm sure the islanders would love to make a trade of Barzal for Hagelin. I mean why wouldn't they want a vet with multiple cups for some rookie with little nhl experience

This might be the worst attempt at trying to create an analogous situation that I've ever seen.

Reactions: Saekk

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
Ya but Dermott is on the team already, doesn't cost any assets, extra contract spots or extra cap...

If Toronto was serious about winning a Cup this year, Ian Cole is better than Dermott. Again, no fool is suggesting you trade Dermott for Cole, hence your comment about Barzal for Hagelin is rather foolish. Barzal is a heck of a player and has been doing it all year, whereas Dermott - 20 career NHL games. I would take Cole over Dermott for the rest of the 2017-18 season in the lineup.

member 147413

The Bruins should trade for Seabrook and play him over McAvoy.

Now I’m not suggesting Dermott = McAvoy, I’m suggesting it’s stupid to trade for Cole and play him over Dermott.

Dermott is playing really well and in an important development period. Why would we trade for an average bottom pairing D to bump him out of the lineup?

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
The Bruins should trade McAvoy for Seabrook.

Now I’m not suggesting Dermott = McAvoy, I’m suggesting it’s stupid to trade for Cole and play him over Dermott.

Dermott is playing really well and in an important development period. Why would we trade for an average bottom pairing D to bump him out of the lineup?

Carrick would be the odd man out because we know Polak isn't going anywhere.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
you are gonna have to give up a lot more than cole to dump bobby ryan. 7.5 real salary for a 30-40pt winger?

think at least 2 of ceci,white,brown,1st rd pick
Lol no chance. Your evaluations are ridiculously one sided depending on where the leafs are positioned. It's pure hyperbole which I assume is coming from your board. Show me one comparable deal to that. Two first round picks to take a contract of a player that is overpaid but still contributes. He was the best forward on the team on a cup run 9 months ago. Find a new hobby hockey isn't for you.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
The Bruins should trade McAvoy for Seabrook.

I think most would think that Cole would be replacing Polak or Carrick on the bottom pairing, not Dermott. No?

BTW - Not advocating for the Leafs to acquire Cole, but all this back and forth bickering seemed a little silly. And if Cole doesn't play on the right side, and this is what Babcock wants, maybe he isn't a good fit.

Not exactly sure what the market is for Cole, but based on previous trades and the proposals in this thread a 2nd, or alternatively a 3rd and prospect seems likely.

member 147413

I think most would think that Cole would be replacing Polak or Carrick on the bottom pairing, not Dermott. No?

BTW - Not advocating for the Leafs to acquire Cole, but all this back and forth bickering seemed a little silly. And if Cole doesn't play on the right side, and this is what Babcock wants, maybe he isn't a good fit.

Not exactly sure what the market is for Cole, but based on previous trades and the proposals in this thread a 2nd, or alternatively a 3rd and prospect seems likely.
I agree.

I don’t think Cole to the Leafs make sense, our weakness is defensive forwards and Top 4 defensive D. Cole is neither.

OCPenguin

Jan 22, 2013
The Bruins should trade for Seabrook and play him over McAvoy.

Cute, but you can't comprehend something. McAvoy has 54 regular season games in the league PLUS played in six playoff games and did well once he signed from college. Dermott - 20 NHL games and no playoff appearances.

Please don't compare the two. Dermott probably wishes he was McAvoy talent wise too.

member 147413

Cute, but you can't comprehend something. McAvoy has 54 regular season games in the league PLUS played in six playoff games and did well once he signed from college. Dermott - 20 NHL games and no playoff appearances.

Please don't compare the two. Dermott probably wishes he was McAvoy talent wise too.
I know McAvoy is significantly better than Dermott, that’s not what I was alluding to.

Relax dude.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
you are gonna have to give up a lot more than cole to dump bobby ryan. 7.5 real salary for a 30-40pt winger?

I'd think it would take at least 2 of: Ceci, White, Brown, 1st round pick

Lol no chance. Your evaluations are ridiculously one sided depending on where the leafs are positioned. It's pure hyperbole which I assume is coming from your board. Show me one comparable deal to that. Two first round picks to take a contract of a player that is overpaid but still contributes. He was the best forward on the team on a cup run 9 months ago. Find a new hobby hockey isn't for you.

Would agree with Bert on this one. What we should have learned over the past 2 or 3 years is that GMs have various alternatives, and they have been getting creative and good about moving dead wood type players/contracts. Even the Leafs didn't have to trade two (2) of our top prospects, or a top prospect and a 1st for Phaneuf.

I'm not sure if its hyperbole, or disdain (disrespect) or what, but something off-kilter is going on there.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
So Ian Cole was recently traded to the Ottawa Senators, But you have to believe to Cole may be on the move again before Monday.

Toronto is a buyer and looking for depth on D and there wee rumors earlier in the season that the Leafs were in on Cole before he got moved to Ottawa.

I know the teams are division rivals but they are in very very different spots in the standings but with Toronto being a buyer and Ottawa being in full blown rebuild mode there may be a deal there to be made.

What's the cost?

Is he a right handed D? I don't think so. Unless he is a top 4 right D it doesn't make sense. Is the difference between Carrick Polak vs Cole a second? Easy pass.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Toronto was serious about winning a Cup this year, Ian Cole is better than Dermott. Again, no fool is suggesting you trade Dermott for Cole, hence your comment about Barzal for Hagelin is rather foolish. Barzal is a heck of a player and has been doing it all year, whereas Dermott - 20 career NHL games. I would take Cole over Dermott for the rest of the 2017-18 season in the lineup.
I don't think Toronto is going all in to win it this year. Trading assets for a rental like Cole and taking away playoff time from a future core player in Dermott just doesn't make sense to me.

It is not like Cole is free and the Leafs are in need of a left handed defender. They could do with a rental rhd but if I'm the Leafs I'm not paying assets for a left hand defender to play on the 3rd pairing and take away all of Dermott's minutes.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad