I wouldn’t be surprised if Matthews won the Art Ross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Oh, thread title made me think it was a quote from a reputable hockey analyst.

I see
Who are we kidding, even if it was it wouldn't matter.

Some BS like pandering to the Toronto fanbase, or the network being a shill to MLSE would be brought up.

Matthews has a shot, but at this point McDavid should be considered the heavy favorite.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
again, the only one who is cherry picking is you.

I am looking at the larger sample.

You are the one deciding to cherry pick one part of that sample to ignore.

That is the definition of cherry picking.

And don't worry, I'll never stop using p60. Matthews is much better than just the 11th best producer over this season and last.

But you've proven to everyone right here, right now, that you will choose to ignore PPG whenever it doesn't fit your argument.

The larger sample size, heavily influenced by the smaller one?

Yeah, that’s not cherry picking at all. I really think you should take a statistics class one day.

Reactions: Future GOAT

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Do you account for the fact that Matthews plays for a team that plays pond hockey style many games and wins games 7-6? Do you think his numbers would go up or down in a more conservative system? Rhetorical question.

are you saying the Leafs' defense isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone says it is?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The larger sample size, heavily influenced by the smaller one?

Yeah, that’s not cherry picking at all. I really think you should take a statistics class one day.

This is an amazing post.

No, you don't remove a smaller sample from a larger sample because you think it "heavily influences" the larger sample.

What a bizarre take.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Every god-damn thread seems to be about Toronto!

Only 2 of the 29 active threads on the first page are Leaf related.

- One for John Tavares' first hat trick as a Leaf. Which is a warranted thread and has been done previously for other players. Given how Tavares was the biggest story of the offseason, it should be expected.

- One for Auston Matthews' terrific start, and where he could go from there. Given if it's for generic NHL discussion, it's fair to discuss the player who is off to the best start.

So if 7% of the threads being Leaf related annoys you, it's more due to the fact that you don't like the Leafs, in which case, just ignore the threads.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Only 2 of the 29 active threads on the first page are Leaf related.

- One for John Tavares' first hat trick as a Leaf. Which is a warranted thread and has been done previously for other players. Given how Tavares was the biggest story of the offseason, it should be expected.

- One for Auston Matthews' terrific start, and where he could go from there. Given if it's for generic NHL discussion, it's fair to discuss the player who is off to the best start.

So if 7% of the threads being Leaf related annoys you, it's more due to the fact that you don't like the Leafs, in which case, just ignore the threads.

yep.

2 Leaf threads.

1 on the guy off to the hottest start in the league.

the other a standard hattrick thread.

meanwhile, we've had times where there were 5-10 negative leaf threads on the mainboards, and nobody complained.

Reactions: Max Money

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Do you account for the fact that Matthews plays for a team that plays pond hockey style many games and wins games 7-6? Do you think his numbers would go up or down in a more conservative system? Rhetorical question.
That team that plays "pond hockey" was 11th in GA last year, what a structured way to play!

Do you think Matthew's numbers would go up playing more ice-time and on the top powerplay unit for the first time in his career?

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
are you saying the Leafs' defense isn't anywhere near as bad as everyone says it is?
I dont think you can make the playoffs with "the worst defense in the league", so yeah its not as bad as everyone says it is.

Look, I get that you guys have to put up with a lot of hypocrisies - Andersen is bad, defense is bad, but GA isn't bad, how does it work? I would just appreciate some honesty which I never seem to get from you.

Would it be easier to get PPG on a team that scores 300 goals a year or 200 goals a year? Is it easier to rack up points on a team that plays a run and gun offensive style or one that preaches defense first?

If you could describe Toronto, are they a defense first team or a goal scoring team? Do you think Matthews would do as well if he traded places with Connor McDavid?

I ask you these questions because I know you know the answers to them.

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
90-95 points is not considered generational. it's elite though
That's why I said borderline. I guess it's someone close to generational but not quite. Could end up a generational goal scorer. But given his age 90-95 is nothing to sneeze at. I think he'll typically be about 10-15 points off McDavid.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
That team that plays "pond hockey" was 11th in GA last year, what a structured way to play!

Do you think Matthew's numbers would go up playing more ice-time and on the top powerplay unit for the first time in his career?
Pond hockey also reflects goals for, which I believe toronto finished T-2nd in.

More ice time is a tough one. Is he being used more to protect leads in tight games? Then no, not necessarily. PP time should definitely benefit him though, assuming being on the second unit hurt him which might be difficult to prove. Look at the PP goal he scored against Montreal against a tired PK unit with what, 5 seconds left?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I dont think you can make the playoffs with "the worst defense in the league", so yeah its not as bad as everyone says it is.

Look, I get that you guys have to put up with a lot of hypocrisies - Andersen is bad, defense is bad, but GA isn't bad, how does it work? I would just appreciate some honesty which I never seem to get from you.

Would it be easier to get PPG on a team that scores 300 goals a year or 200 goals a year? Is it easier to rack up points on a team that plays a run and gun offensive style or one that preaches defense first?

If you could describe Toronto, are they a defense first team or a goal scoring team? Do you think Matthews would do as well if he traded places with Connor McDavid?

I ask you these questions because I know you know the answers to them.

Well, which of the top scorers plays in some kind of tight, defense-first system?

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
You make it sounds like Matthews doesn't play at both ends. This isn't Kessel.

They also win games 3-2 :dunno:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
but the US media is just propping up their new American superstar.

Canadian media pumping up Matthews
HF: LOL Toronto sports network makes me sick

US media pumping up Matthews
HF: LOL they're just hyping up their american born

Coaches pumping up Matthews/calling him generational
HF: They're just being nice

Players pumping up Matthews
HF: LOL all hockey players are overly complimentary on their peers

Stats pump up Matthews
HF: LOL fake stats

Eye test backs up Matthews
HF:LOL Leafs not winning anything with that defense, pond hockey structure

Negative threads about Matthews:
HF: no comment regarding Matthews always being brought up

Positive thread about Matthews:
HF: Why is Matthews always being posted about, I hate him! I know nobody is forcing me to click on these threads but I can't help it!

I think I've covered them all.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
That leaves Euro media. They are credible.

The euros just want more kids like Matthews to come over to europe in their draft years, so they'll hype the hell out of him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa

Stats pump up Matthews

HF: Why is Matthews always being posted about, I hate him! I know nobody is forcing me to click on these threads but I can't help it!

Horse pumps up Matthews: Just flattering his own large nostrilled brethren

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
Well, which of the top scorers plays in some kind of tight, defense-first system?
Jack Eichel plays for a team that scored 78 less goals than the leafs did last year but still managed 64 points in 67 games. Is it fair to assume if he played for a team that scored 40% more goals (like Matthews did) his numbers might go up?

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Pond hockey also reflects goals for, which I believe toronto finished T-2nd in.

More ice time is a tough one. Is he being used more to protect leads in tight games? Then no, not necessarily. PP time should definitely benefit him though, assuming being on the second unit hurt him which might be difficult to prove. Look at the PP goal he scored against Montreal against a tired PK unit with what, 5 seconds left?

So the Pens, Lightning, Bruins and Caps all play pond hockey? The Caps and Lightning both allowed more goals than the Leafs last year.

And more ice time in general, he's one of the best 5 on 5 players in the NHL with tough deployment as well. It doesn't matter what circumstance he's out there for, he's still going to produce. Playing more in tight games also gives him the chance to pick up EN goals/assists to bump up his stats.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
You make it sounds like Matthews doesn't play at both ends. This isn't Kessel.

They also win games 3-2 :dunno:
I'm talking about the sheer amount of pucks that the leafs put in the net. It has nothing to do with Matthews' defensive ability.
He has the opportunity to play in more 7-6 games than a guy like Kopitar, Eichel or McDavid does.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

Stats pump up Matthews

Don't forget about Eichel, Barzal, Barkov, Laine, Boeser, Draisaitl > Matthews because reasons! And if you think otherwise you have a victim complex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad