I was not overly impressed with Canada today

Hawkster58

Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Visit site
I find that surprising -- watching on TV, it appeared that the US/Finland game had much more speed by both teams than either Canada or Russia.

That game didn't have near the intensity, everyone was doing skate by's and not finishing checks.

Even the Americans in attendance couldn't believe the difference in the games. The Canada and Russia game was at near NHL pace...awesome!

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I just found out he was a -1 with no shots or assists. I don't like hearing about performances like that from arguably our top defensive prospect.

You could see the nerves in all of them, Olsen was just the one that got burnt a couple times. I wouldn't worry much his NHL tools are good, big kid that'll make the simple plays. I think going forward we'll see Cowen and Ellis lead the defense but they will be unlikely to play with eachother....although they were killing penalties together at one point.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
One good thing to take away from it would be that even with some nerves, a lack of overall cohesion, some mediocre looking goaltending, etc... Canada still beat one of the top opponents in the tourney. If there's a lot of room for improvement, then the Game #1 outcome at least bodes well for Canada in one sense.

There *should* be a lot of room for improvement anyway. The scary thing would be if the improvement doesn't come. But really how scary is that anyway? By the standards of this game, Canada would still be in contention for a medal, and that's not exactly a disaster or anything.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I would rank the teams:

Canada
Russia
USA
Finland
Switzerland
Germany

Canada looked shaky at the start but controlled the game for the most part after the big penalty kill. They should improve their finishing. The Russians finished quite well but were poor in their own end and barely sustained any pressure. USA just seemed lazy in their game. They seem intent on counter attack hockey, and I think theh would have been beaten quite soundly by either Canada or Russia had they played yesterday. The Fins played hard and cohesively but lacked the skill to set up and finish their chances. Switzerland took the Germans lightly and let them back in their game, but the Germans deserve credit for playing hard for 60 minutes.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I would rank the teams:

Canada
Russia
USA
Finland
Switzerland
Germany

Canada looked shaky at the start but controlled the game for the most part after the big penalty kill. They should improve their finishing. The Russians finished quite well but were poor in their own end and barely sustained any pressure. USA just seemed lazy in their game. They seem intent on counter attack hockey, and I think theh would have been beaten quite soundly by either Canada or Russia had they played yesterday. The Fins played hard and cohesively but lacked the skill to set up and finish their chances. Switzerland took the Germans lightly and let them back in their game, but the Germans deserve credit for playing hard for 60 minutes.

I agree but what about Sweden buddy?

:)

I would keep the list the same but add Sweden in at #3.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

That game didn't have near the intensity, everyone was doing skate by's and not finishing checks.

Even the Americans in attendance couldn't believe the difference in the games. The Canada and Russia game was at near NHL pace...awesome!

Yup.

In Exisle

Nov 24, 2006
Boston, MA
The US were too inconsistent in their execution throughout the game to consider them the best after game one.

Canada right now is number one, but they looked very beatable. This WJC should be fairly wide open and I wouldn't be surprised to see the US or Canada out of the finals.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

The US were too inconsistent in their execution throughout the game to consider them the best after game one.

Canada right now is number one, but they looked very beatable. This WJC should be fairly wide open and I wouldn't be surprised to see the US or Canada out of the finals.

I thought Canada looked great. No perfect but great. I would be shocked if Canada is not in the finals.

Cybertron84

Apr 9, 2010
Oil Country
It's one game, nervous energy hopefully out of the way. It's not going to be easy for Canada to win but I feel this team can. Will be exciting as always just enjoy the great hockey to come.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010

It's one game people. One game. No team vaults to a number one position after the first game and no team falls out of contention either. I just can't wait to see what kind of rankings people will post on here after teams play their second games. There's probably going to be all sort of bold predictions. In a tourney like this where playoffs are one game elimination, any team is beatable.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
It's one game people. One game. No team vaults to a number one position after one game. I just can't wait to see what kind of rankings people will post on here after teams play their second games. There's probably going to be all sort of bold predictions. In a tourney like this where playoffs are one game elimination, any team is beatable.

Yes it was one game but canada played a good game.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
My Canada defence player rankings:
Ellis: A. The 3rd year WJC veteran looked like a man (albiet a small one) among boys out there. With the booming shot, quick pinches, poise and active stickwork.

Cowen: B. Made some good stops defensively, his movement is much better. He can still get beat and get caught out of position, but no glaring weaknesses

Despres: B+. Thought he was very solid, and moves well for his size. A Couple defensive faults, but thought he played well.

DeHaan: B+. Looked good for a PMD, a good skater, calm with the puck, and is capable defensively

Gudbranson: B-. Other than the big shot, was not very good. Didnt look calm with the puck, and got beat a couple times losing the opponent going for a hit. Has to improve

Olsen: C. Didnt cost much, but looked rough, surprised by the speed of the Russians.

Barrie: B. As the 7th defenceman was decent. Didnt do much on the PP, but was also dependable in the defensive end. A very smart player

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010
Yes it was one game but canada played a good game.

I agree Canada played a good game. My first post in this thread supports that. My point is that ranking teams after the first game is a little premature. Do you think the players and staff on the Canadian team view themselves as the new #1 now based on their first game performance? Do you think that the USA team no longer views themselves as the team to beat as defending champs based on their play against Finland? Like I said again, people will probably post new rankings after teams play their second games and make predictions. This is fine. We're all fans. Nothing truly wrong with stating your opinion on here. The previous posts were my opinion.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
It's one game people. One game. No team vaults to a number one position after the first game and no team falls out of contention either. I just can't wait to see what kind of rankings people will post on here after teams play their second games. There's probably going to be all sort of bold predictions. In a tourney like this where playoffs are one game elimination, any team is beatable.

This, exactly.

The only things we've really learned from these first games are that Canada and the US have an early leg up in the seeding process (which we expected), and that even the best teams in the tournamet are imperfect/have exploitable flaws (which is hardly surprising).

Lets see how the teams in question adjust from their early performances and pull toegether over the next few games before we start passing judgement on them. The elimination part of this tournament will have a very dfferent flavor from the seeding part, I'm quite sure.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
lol this thread cracks me up. canada didn't look good...why? compared to the powerhouse that has won 5 of last 6 gold medals?
i watched both games too - and all 3 of canada's exhibition wins.
i thought they pounded russia and played a better team game BUT they do have mental lapses in defensive structure that resulted in breakdowns which russia's skill capitalized on.

they do not suffer from a lack of offense. russia was good, with some great skill up front but they played scared and terrible defensively.

the USA / Finland game was a chess match with tighter checking but lots of missed offensive opportunities. The US looked nervous and if that crap goal doesn't go in, in OT, they have a chance to lose that in the SO.

i'd rank the 4 this way, even though all 4 were nervous at various points and it's hard to rank **** after 1 game

canada
US
Russia (better Offense)
Finland (structure but less finish than other 3)

In Exisle

Nov 24, 2006
Boston, MA
I agree Canada played a good game. My first post in this thread supports that. My point is that ranking teams after the first game is a little premature. Do you think the players and staff on the Canadian team view themselves as the new #1 now based on their first game performance? Do you think that the USA team no longer views themselves as the team to beat as defending champs based on their play against Finland? Like I said again, people will probably post new rankings after teams play their second games and make predictions. This is fine. We're all fans. Nothing truly wrong with stating your opinion on here. The previous posts were my opinion.

That is fine, but the thread was started asking for opinions after game one... which is the basis for my response before. Believe me I understand one game doesn't say it all, but that one game is the most recent barometer we have to judge these teams.

It's a short tournament so ultimately who knows. However, it seems as if the competition has a bit more depth this year making upsets even more likely than they already are. Canada and us Yanks should both be viewed as equally viable teams and the favorites in the early going. That being said, both teams are far from immortal.

Plus any championship caliber team should have the confidence that they are at least A team to beat ;).

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
I agree but what about Sweden buddy?

I would keep the list the same but add Sweden in at #3.

i assume these are people that watched 3 games live in buffalo. It was physically impossible to watch sweden at dwyer as canada russia was at the same time.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
Canada are always a great team and the better on this ice. That said, they have a real problem in the net this year. Roy and Visentin is probably the badest combos in the last decade and it will be difficult to reach the Gold for this reason. The goalie is also the problem for Russia.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Canada are always a great team and the better on this ice. That said, they have a real problem in the net this year. Roy and Visentin is probably the badest combos in the last decade and it will be difficult to reach the Gold for this reason. The goalie is also the problem for Russia.

No i don't think that while they may not be the best combos they not the worst.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
No i don't think that while they may not be the best combos they not the worst.

Roy was awful yesterday with his puck control and personaly, I dont think he's the Man of the situation. He did a couple of great saves, but often because he was unable to control the rebound. Also, Russians play a very open style of game. When we'll play against teams a defensive style + A goalie, we'lll have a lot of difficulties.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Roy was awful yesterday with his puck control and personaly, I dont think he's the Man of the situation. He did a couple of great saves, but often because he was unable to control the rebound. Also, Russians play a very open style of game. When we'll play against teams with more defensive style + A goalie, Canada will have a lot of difficulties.

He had a off game but he was nervus i think its fair to say he will be much better vs the czech rep.Canada may have trouble but going in people said they will have trouble scoring they did get 6 in there first game.

riggs99

Jun 14, 2009
You have to give the players a couple games before you can judge a team. There has to be some nervousness in the first game and they only have a few exhibition games to get used to playing as a team.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
He had a off game but he was nervus i think its fair to say he will be much better vs the czech rep.Canada may have trouble but going in people said they will have trouble scoring they did get 6 in there first game.

If its a tie game, it will be easier for Canada, but if Roy gives 1 or 2 bad goals in the begining of the game, it could be tougher than some expected. For me, Russians are not a legit contender. Bobkov is a B goalie and I told before, I doubt that Canada could score 6 goals against a team with a great team. Anyway, the road will be "easy" until the semi-finals then, we'll see who will be the opponent and how they could get the advantage of our goalie/team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad