I was not overly impressed with Canada today

dude67

Nov 15, 2010
The phase was higher in Usa-Fin game and Usa is gone to be a really hard to beat that for sure.

Same goes for Fin but they don´t have dept to go all the way but i like they hard work

The Russian i don´t understand they had many chance to close this game but they let gas-pedal up all-time.

Canada is good team but a few teams have found a way to win or play really well against them.

Biggest problem Canada has is when opponent start to hit them and chase them all-over u cud see that really clearly in Can-Swe pre-game.

And don´t think Canada have foot-speed that will take them all the way to gold.

Yeah Ellis good when game stand still on the pp but with that foot speed he will probably not make it to NHL

Sweden have different team this year last years team was just a star gallery of skill this years team is built to win many of forward looks like the Fins forward hard nose grinders typ of player and i think a player Cehlin is very under-rated player.

All 4 teams can win this i think this years tournament is closer then ever

Talus

Nov 2, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
The Canadians had the Russian Dmen looking over their shoulders,you can't win playing scared.
The Americans started of slow but you could see their speed and experience starting to show.
These two teams are the strongest and it will be an upset if either do not win gold.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

What you said could make sense if you were looking only at Brayden Schenn and Dylan Olsen. Olsen was absolutely terrible, and Schenn took all the wrong decisions on offence -- which is pretty bad when you're a center. Roy wasn't all that great as well.

But I'd like to see "zonal" stats. I'm pretty convinced half of the game was played in Russia's zone, with some 25% in neutral zone and 25% in Canada's zone. Which would indeed destroy your arguments as a whole, even if they do make sense if you focused only on Olsen and Schenn.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Dud67
Russia really did not have many chances if any to close the game it was a close game all game.You seem to be giving tons of credit to russia and very little to canada bottom line is canada played a real solid 3rd period.As for when they get hit they run all over the ice were you watching the same game canada was doing most of the hitting and russia was trying to bail out.As for foot speed time will tell they may have issue but they may not a 6-3 win over russia was really not expected.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
And don´t think Canada have foot-speed that will take them all the way to gold.

Yeah Ellis good when game stand still on the pp but with that foot speed he will probably not make it to NHL

Sweden have different team this year last years team was just a star gallery of skill this years team is built to win many of forward looks like the Fins forward hard nose grinders typ of player and i think a player Cehlin is very under-rated player.

All 4 teams can win this i think this years tournament is closer then ever

Actually, the faster guy I saw yesterday (didn't see Sweden's game, though) was Louis Leblanc. Canada is a rather quick team. Again, if you only and only focus on Brayden Schenn and Ryan Ellis, Canada could look slow.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
I watched 2 games today, Canada Russia and USA Finland.

I rank the 4 teams as follows:

Finland
USA
Russia
Canada

Finland - effort, high speed
USA - combination speed and strength
Russia - some new skilled players
Canada - every now and then the defence totally crumbled, this is unacceptlable. It was like they occassionally fell asleep.

I invite anyone with better hockey to comment here and correct my observations and tell me I'm wrong. But, keep it simple so I can understand you.

Well, you're wrong...okie dokie! (simple enough?)

Now a question for you?
Just wondering why you bother spending a lot of $$ on something you know very little about?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
You don't get extra points for dismantling teams, goal differential as eventual tiebreaker notwithstanding. All you really need to do is win the games, and the rest takes care of itself.

The favorites, Canada and the USA, did so. Execution matters. To the extent that you can say anything about any of the teams after one game, the teams that were victorious have more to hang their hat on than those that went down to defeat.

The North American squads faced quality opponents in the bargain, which most observers would state is often a prerequisite for a solid medal round. Put differently, teams that sail through the round robin often freeze up when the tempo is ratcheted up in the medal rounds. Adversity is a boon, not a reason for concern, in the round robin of short tourneys like the WJCs.

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
You don't get extra points for dismantling teams, goal differential as eventual tiebreaker notwithstanding. All you really need to do is win the games, and the rest takes care of itself.

The favorites, Canada and the USA, did so. Execution matters. To the extent that you can say anything about any of the teams after one game, the teams that were victorious have more to hang their hat on than those that went down to defeat.

The North American squads faced quality opponents in the bargain, which most observers would state is often a prerequisite for a solid medal round. Put differently, teams that sail through the round robin often freeze up when the tempo is ratcheted up in the medal rounds. Adversity is a boon, not a reason for concern, in the round robin of short tourneys like the WJCs.

The only thing is winning in ot you get one less point it may not matter but down the road it may.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Agreed.
some people are hockey challenged.

Not only that but a lot of fans from other countries are probably wishing their teams looked as awful as Canada (and the USA.)
They won and now they can build on it!

btw....what's the deduction for artistic marks?

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Not only that but a lot of fans from other countries are probably wishing their teams looked as awful as Canada (and the USA.)
They won and now they can build on it!

btw....what's the deduction for artistic marks?

Yep, it wasn't a pretty win, and I thought the game was closer than the score indicated, but it's a win. And that's all that is important.

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007
Yep, it wasn't a pretty win, and I thought the game was closer than the score indicated, but it's a win. And that's all that is important.
Yeah....turning back the clock and looking at past years most games at the start usually aren't masterpieces.
That point is usually forgotten by the end of the tourney.

It's not how you start but how you finish!
There's no sweaty palms or gnashing of teeth from me.

dude67

Nov 15, 2010
Dud67
Russia really did not have many chances if any to close the game it was a close game all game.You seem to be giving tons of credit to Russia and very little to canada bottom line is canada played a real solid 3rd period.As for when they get hit they run all over the ice were you watching the same game canada was doing most of the hitting and russia was trying to bail out.As for foot speed time will tell they may have issue but they may not a 6-3 win over russia was really not expected.

No credit to Russia but they had momentum for awile instead they give Canada time and space and momentum start to chance if u going to beat a team like Canada or other top teams u can´t give them time and space in your own end.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Wow....

I didn't watch the US game as I was watching Ottawa. It's like people have bought into the "we are the underdog" so much so that anything wrong with our game is being magnified as a massive problem, confirmation bias? Yes.

I boldly picked the Russians to win this tournament, I knew it was bold, it was something I could quote if something crazy happened....my point is...the Russians are good. The Canadians were not supposed to cake walk over them 5-1. Olivier Roy was shaky, aside from the 5 hole goal he kicked out some ugly rebounds and I thought his technique needs a lot of work going forward as he was constantly leaving holes in certain situations and is small. He's small and athletic, Pascal Leclaire comparable. Confirmation bias? Too harsh? Maybe, I wanted Visentin but thought Roy would get the nod. Visentin is safer...he's my "Brian Elliott" except he's a blue chipper in a junior tournament who is unlikely to fall victim to endless 20-30 foot softies.

The defense was fairly good I thought however Olsen's gaffes are leading people to say the defense melted down on occassion. Cowen and Ellis were very strong, Guddy and Despres need to work better together and keep it simple but I thought they were fine, those two are stars in junior and just good players at this tournament, they should clean up as it goes along. Olsen had an off night, I'll give him a break, I've liked him so far.

The forwards? Workmen crew, as advertised. These guys may make it look pretty in flashes and those flashes could turn to goals, but these guys are going to out work you, out cycle you and wear you down...to quote the great Dennis Green "They are who we thought they were". I thought as a group they disrupted the Russians break out all game. And for god sakes give Brayden Schenn a break.

Can't believe all the "this guy sucks, that guy sucks" crap going in a game where we are playing a tournament contender and managed to win despite a couple easily manageable mistakes.

This team is tough to play against and it will get tougher and no team in this tournament will get through us easily, if they do at all.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I wasn't impressed by Canada either. They only managed puck possesion by a lousy 3-1 margin. Had only twice as many scoring chances! They barely managed to outshoot Russia 42-27. What gives??? Add to that their terrible power play where they garnered a meager 3 goals and we can all see why Canada will be in the regulation pool fighting for their lives to stay in the top division....Woe is Canada!!!!

Meanwhile the Swedes easily handled mightly Norway...who could have predicted that outcome!!! While the U.S. whipped Finland in convincing fashion!

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
The two posts above pretty much sum it up.

USA and Russia were considered two of the favorites to win this tournament. Canada dispatches the Russians 6 -3, dominates in puck possession, physical play and discipline, yet there are supposed intelligent hockey fans suggesting Canada didn't play well. :shakehead

I could possibly see the validity of the critiquing if Canada had played Norway, but they played a highly skilled Russian team.

While there were mistakes, remember these are 18 - 19 year old kids playing in the biggest games of their lives, against the best players in their age group in the world.

Personally, I liked what I saw from the Canadian team, they will do all Canadians proud.

Hawkster58

Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls, Ont.
Visit site
I was at all three games yesterday. The pace of the Russia/Canada game was far beyond the other two.

Canada should be fine, they are a big team that is winning the physical battles. Ellis was a beast at both ends...Roy looked shaky but got better as the game went on. Tarasenko looked like a man amongst boys.

The U.S./Finland game was played at a much lower tempo and surprisingly it was almost a no contact game. The U.S. has a big team but did not use that to their advantage.

Say what you will, but Canada was the best team at HSBC yesterday and it wasn't even close.

That said I think the Canadian and American teams stack up well against each other, here's to hoping they meet each other in the final.

On a side note, some Canadian fan's behaviour made me ashamed...I sat with a bunch of Americans in the U.S./Finland game, they were informative and classy. I really enjoyed their company!

Here's to watching some absolutely great hockey no matter who wins...Cheers!

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
I was at all three games yesterday. The pace of the Russia/Canada game was far beyond the other two.

Canada should be fine, they are a big team that is winning the physical battles. Ellis was a beast at both ends...Roy looked shaky but got better as the game went on. Tarasenko looked like a man amongst boys.

The U.S./Finland game was played at a much lower tempo and surprisingly it was almost a no contact game. The U.S. has a big team but did not use that to their advantage.

Say what you will, but Canada was the best team at HSBC yesterday and it wasn't even close.

That said I think the Canadian and American teams stack up well against each other, here's to hoping they meet each other in the final.

On a side note, some Canadian fan's behaviour made me ashamed...I sat with a bunch of Americans in the U.S./Finland game, they were informative and classy. I really enjoyed their company!

Here's to watching some absolutely great hockey no matter who wins...Cheers!

As for fans behavior all teams have some bad apples its not just canada.

Mark Stuart*

I didn't think Canada looked GREAT, but I also thought Russia played them really well up until the 3rd period...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->