I was not overly impressed with Canada today

17*

I was also not overly impressed with Canada today. And I agree with some of your analysis. But it's the "I rank the 4 teams as follows" part that makes me think that there is something missing in translation here. Are you ranking your favorite teams? The teams with your favorite prospects? Because you must not mean that you think that the Finns or the Russians are more likely to win this tournament than the Canadians...

My favourite team is Canada, that's where I'm from.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I thought both Canada and the U.S. looked uneven in their victories. Canada's goaltending looked shaky (which I think will be a prominent storyline in this tourney regardless of who is in net) and the U.S. had a difficult time getting it's transition game going. What has the better chance of being cleaned up as the tourney goes on? Tough to say. I did think Finland looked better than Russia though. Much more physical with better goaltending. Russia has the flair that all Russian teams seem to have, but they were dominated along the boards and the goaltending was shaky.

Pyke*

Yeah, sadly, we may not have to play the States this year, I see the Russian's beating them in the Semi's.

Then we would draw who, potentially the Swedes in the Semis? Ouch.

Let's assume for the sake of argument Canada wins our pool. In order for Russia to play the United States in the Semis, by my understanding of the rules, they would need to finish 2nd in Pool B (2B plays 3A, who then crosses over to play 1A on the assumption that 1A v. 2B is the match).

If the performance goes like this:
1A - U.S.
2A - Finland
3A - Switzerland

1B - Canada
2B - Russia
3B - Sweden

QF:
1A [U.S.A.] - Bye
2B [Russia] v. 3A [Switzerland] (likely winner: Russia)

1B [Canada] - Bye
2A [Finland] v. 3A [Sweden] (likely winner: Sweden) *Also: Would probably be one of the most exciting games of the tournament*.

SF:
1A [U.S.A] v. 2B [Russia]
1B [Canada] v. 3B [Sweden]

That would be quite the interesting set of games....

It certainly has the potential to be a VERY intriguing WJC. Actually, the only thing that would make it more interesting is if Slovakia finds a way to sneak in as the 3rd team in Pool A and give Russia a run for their money. That would be huge. Russia v. Slovakia is an outstanding rivalry (not as good as CZE v. Russia, but pretty close). Then you get the Scandinavian duel... before the tight medal round.

-=-=-

However, all of this could be changed if Sweden or Czech have something to say about it. Pool B is so competitive that no one can be certain who will be 1, 2 or 3.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
While I agree that Canada didnt look very good they do win and that if anything is a strength. Winning while not performing very well would be something I'd like Sweden to do :<

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I think, at the end of the day, Canada will win the 2011 WJR's.

We can disect this team ad nauseum but, at the end of the day, Canada is the most talented and complete.

I am not just saying because I am Canadian. I am being (or at least trying to be) objective.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

While I agree that Canada didnt look very good they do win and that if anything is a strength. Winning while not performing very well would be something I'd like Sweden to do :<

Thank you for that compliment. :)

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I think, at the end of the day, Canada will win the 2011 WJR's.

We can disect this team ad nauseum but, at the end of the day, Canada is the most talented and complete.

I am not just saying because I am Canadian. I am being (or at least trying to be) objective.

I take it your posting will cease until the gold medals are drapped around the Canadian players' necks then-right? I mean, if it's that much of a sure thing?

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I thought both Canada and the U.S. looked uneven in their victories. Canada's goaltending looked shaky (which I think will be a prominent storyline in this tourney regardless of who is in net) and the U.S. had a difficult time getting it's transition game going. What has the better chance of being cleaned up as the tourney goes on? Tough to say. I did think Finland looked better than Russia though. Much more physical with better goaltending. Russia has the flair that all Russian teams seem to have, but they were dominated along the boards and the goaltending was shaky.

One thing that needs to be said... during the last 20 minutes of the Canada-Russia game, Canada looked amazing (I was there) and took their game to another level.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I take it your posting will cease until the gold medals are drapped around the Canadian players' necks then-right? I mean, if it's that much of a sure thing?

That is a promise I can't make... I enjoy Posting too much - even if no one enjoys reading them :) .

Re : "sure thing"

Nothing, of course, is a sure thing. I mean, I can't guarentee the sun will come up tomorrow, but...

If I had to bet my last dollar, I would bet it on Canada.

:)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Then we would draw who, potentially the Swedes in the Semis? Ouch.

If the performance goes like this:
1A - U.S.
2A - Finland
3A - Switzerland

1B - Canada
2B - Russia
3B - Sweden

QF:
1A [U.S.A.] - Bye
2B [Russia] v. 3A [Switzerland] (likely winner: Russia)

1B [Canada] - Bye
2A [Finland] v. 3A [Sweden] (likely winner: Sweden) *Also: Would probably be one of the most exciting games of the tournament*.

SF:
1A [U.S.A] v. 2B [Russia]
1B [Canada] v. 3B [Sweden]

That would be quite the interesting set of games....

It certainly has the potential to be a VERY intriguing WJC. Actually, the only thing that would make it more interesting is if Slovakia finds a way to sneak in as the 3rd team in Pool A and give Russia a run for their money. That would be huge. Russia v. Slovakia is an outstanding rivalry (not as good as CZE v. Russia, but pretty close). Then you get the Scandinavian duel... before the tight medal round.

-=-=-

However, all of this could be changed if Sweden or Czech have something to say about it. Pool B is so competitive that no one can be certain who will be 1, 2 or 3.

Why "Ouch"??, I'd rather be facing Sweden over Russia in the semi finals.

Pool B standings will be decided early, between Russia-Sweden game if I may.

Canada
Russia
Sweden

Pool A is more competitive as we dont know who will be #2 and #3.

Pool A have to decide on the bottom 2, one will be Germany and out of finland, Slovakia and Switzerland. I say Finns end up second due to that vital point they got today but then again Switzerland confuse me as they we're out shot today, only because Conz is a beast and Nino is amazing for that club.

I would prefer Switzerland getting in over Slovakia because of Conz, him and Nino sure can steal games nevermind the Slovakia-Russia rivalry cause I dont see Slovakia upsetting Russia in the Semi's, where the Swiss can with Conz.

USA
Finland
Switzerland

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Canada can easily beat any team in this tournament, on the right night.

But I agree with the OP in the sense that compared to other Canadian U20 WJC's team, they aren't as strong.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

But I agree with the OP in the sense that compared to other Canadian U20 WJC's team, they aren't as strong.

That is fair.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Sweden have a solid team this season, but I don't believe one sec in their/our coach...

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Sweden have a solid team this season, but I don't believe one sec in their/our coach...

I think if Sweden meets the US in the Semi's they will avenge last years loss.

Boom King

Dec 11, 2010

I would agree with the above and yes, this team is not as favored to win as the teams Canada has iced in recent years. Canada has won the tournament with teams considered much weaker than this one though. The 2006 Canadian junior team was probably considered the weakest in years and heading into the tournament we weren't even considered to be a contender to make it into the final medal game. There was only one returnee from the 2005 squad in Cam Barker. The Russians were heavy gold medal favorites and featured Evgeni Malkin and Alexander Radulov. Canada dominated the Russians in the gold medal game 5-0.

Pyke*

Why "Ouch"??, I'd rather be facing Sweden over Russia in the semi finals.

Pool B standings will be decided early, between Russia-Sweden game if I may.

Canada
Russia
Sweden

Pool A is more competitive as we dont know who will be #2 and #3.

Pool A have to decide on the bottom 2, one will be Germany and out of finland, Slovakia and Switzerland. I say Finns end up second due to that vital point they got today but then again Switzerland confuse me as they we're out shot today, only because Conz is a beast and Nino is amazing for that club.

I would prefer Switzerland getting in over Slovakia because of Conz, him and Nino sure can steal games nevermind the Slovakia-Russia rivalry cause I dont see Slovakia upsetting Russia in the Semi's, where the Swiss can with Conz.

USA
Finland
Switzerland

I think you're underrating the Swedes, who have Larsson, Lahdskog or whatever the hell his name is; Anton Lander and Robin Lehner. The Swedes may well be the 2nd best team in this tournament behind the Americans, and have the best goaltender to boot. I'm *much* more worried about a Swedish team that could shut us out than a Russian team which implodes in special team situations.

As to Slovakia v. Switzerland, I agree that a Swiss team could potentially beat the Russians, but only if they play the way they did in the first against Germany - not the way that game ended. Conz is a very good goalie, but he's not superman.

AugustBurnsRed*

Neither was I, that said they might of been the best team tonight anyway.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
other than some gaffes by olsen, i dont think defense was a huge problem for canada. My problems were:
- Forwards not backchecking enough
- Forwards not covering dmen pinches well
- Forwards doing a poor job in the defensive end.
- Roy could have been better
- Everyone trying too hard to be physical

first one is the only thing i'm overly concerned about. Everything else should settle by the time we play sweden. Barring outstanding goaltending by our opponents i'm not too worried about the next two games.

defensive chemistry can be harder than offensive chemistry on a team as skilled as a national team like this. Lines need to settle and players need to get accustomed to how their linemates will work in the defensive zone.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I think some folks are being a little too tough on Canada. They're scoring and it's spread evenly throughout the lineup, probably more than any Canadian junior team I've ever seen. They're physically dominant, especially along the boards where Russia was unable to take the puck away. They work hard and they ate the Russians up in the faceoff circle. Ellis is a marvel on the pp. If their goaltending holds up, they should be OK.

Sep 19, 2008
I wasn't either, but it's their first game. I got to give them credit for taking over the game in the third, in a tie game, to pull away.

Maybe it's first-game jitters

Hopefully Canada looks better against future opposition, and Roy...I don't know about him anymore :(

Again, first game, let's see how the others play out

wjhl2009fan

Nov 13, 2008
Both canada and the states did not look great they won yes but both did not play great games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->