HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I was ____ when the Oilers won McDavid

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I had a bunch of buddies over to watch it. We all exploded when Daly said "and we have a winner."

Needless to say I'm severely hung over today, but still feeling good.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
I was sitting at a pizza place waiting for my order following the draft lotto on twitter. Burst out laughing when the news hit, Mrs Fixed to Ruin looked at me like I had 10 eye balls. Then the rest of the conversation in hindsight felt like a lotto 6/49 commercial

Me:"We won!"
Mrs FTR: "We won what?"
Me: "We won the NHL draft lottery!"
Mrs FTR: "What?!"
Me: "We got Connor McDavid!"
Mrs FTR: "Shut up!"
Me: *Shows phone with the official tweet from the Edmonton Oilers*
Mrs FTR: "OMG we got McDavid"

JayTam

Apr 20, 2014
Hamburg, Germany
I was 28,spend the night out and once i realised what Happens Iwas in a strange set of mind. I could not get the grin of my face (my Buddys Kent shaking their head, cause they simply din't get in) and then had one drink after the other, got to my GF, woke her up at 5 in the morning, drunk as skunk and told her the "Law of the 11.5%" :D

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
Watching CBC in my apartment. Was massively relieved when the TO card came up and they didn't win. 20 seconds later I started yelling like a crazed maniac! Ran out on the pack porch and yelled the name, "MCDAVID!!!"

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
I was watching the lottery on TV. Was so relieved when Tor didn't win. I screamed like a little girl when we won. Still can't believe it.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I was Perler beading Final Fantasy characters in the basement when I found out the Oilers won McDavid. #toocoolforschool

LMAO. I have made a few of those things. A River City Ransom guy, Pit from Kid Icarus, Yoshi, Starman. Fun.

I was watching Wrestlemania IV and perusing HF. I thought people were joking because it all happened so fast. Would have been a great prank.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I was taking a **** and saw it on Twitter. I got so excited I dropped my phone into the ******* and had to go digging for it.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Laying in bed, watching a live stream.

Let out a Jurassic Park-ish Velociraptor squeal.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I was out hiking in the River Valley. Didn't find out till I came home. Went to NHL site to check scores and front page sez Oilers won.

Told the wife I didn't even know we were playing...;)

tbh I didn't know the draft lotto was even on. Not that I ever watch these things.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton
I was driving to work, and refreshing twitter, irresponsible I know. I saw we won and just started yelling and screaming and laughing.

Unreal.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I was out hiking in the River Valley. Didn't find out till I came home. Went to NHL site to check scores and front page sez Oilers won.

Told the wife I didn't even know we were playing...;)

tbh I didn't know the draft lotto was even on. Not that I ever watch these things.

Jealous. It was a perfect day yesterday night and I was stuck inside. Would've loved to do a long bike ride. :laugh:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Was sitting out on my deck after spending all afternoon working on my camper's roof to make it ready for summer, reading the Draft GDT on our board.

Hit refresh, saw the 'at least we're picking no worse than 3rd!' post. Got a bit excited.

Hit refresh again, saw that the page count for the thread had jumped by 3 in the space of 10 seconds, and realized something big happened.

Scrolled down a bit, saw the litany of posts running the gamut from shock to mindless joy, and realized exactly how big it was.

I then proceed to start...giggling. For at least 30 seconds. My wife was weeding in her garden, looked up at me and asked what the heck was so damn amusing. She wouldn't know McDavid from the Pope, so it took a minute or two to give her a shred of context.

Today, I'm still waiting for the rug to be pulled out from under me. This just seems like a truth that's so much stranger than fiction I can't even articulate the grandeur of it.

Work tomorrow (office building with literally over a hundred Canucks fans) is going to be so, so delicious. I'm legitimately considering doing nothing but dance all day in my cubicle, or at least as much as I can get away with.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Was at UofA studying for finals took me 20 mins to find a live stream, when I found out I wanted to scream out but I was to much of a chicken, so I called my brother and told him very loudly we had one and everybody around me went quiet, checked their phones, and started talking about it :laugh:
Safe to say I got very little studying done afterwards.

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
The day before the draft lottery my good old TV of 9 years (creepy) died. I went out and bought a brand new TV that night with the wife's blessing. I hooked it up and waited till the next day. I watched a very awkward sportsnet broadcast but finally got to the lottery. I nervously watched until the Toronto pick and then realized we would draft at least 3rd and was instantly relieved...and then the words " and we have a winner"... I lose it, I don't even see the golden ticket, I don't know where to run, I'm yelling random words in between "McDavid!". I basically lose my voice in all of 2 minutes, been on the high ever since. I'm 28 and I feel like I'm 18 again.

Crabapple

Jun 17, 2010
Edmonton
I was working at the time (at a restaurant) and was super busy. I knew that it was going on and I could feel my phone blowing up in my pocket and knew we won it.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
leaf board has the best reaction

if you want to see mass suicide by a board go read their reaction thread--do not post in it

they also now have a thread saying they should pull out of revenue sharing because of not winning the lotto--I pointed out that the oilers actual put a lot of money into the pot as well-not going back to read the comebacks as I suspect it will be very mean for awhile

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Oops: Wrong thread, read it as the last time we were in the playoffs.

Anyway I was settling down to eat, went to check the web and realized it wasn't happening yet so I was streaming some Parks and Rec. My buddy phoned, trolled me by saying LA won then told me we did. I didn't believe him for a whole minute. Then I laughed my ass off for about 3 minutes thereafter.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad