GDT: I Wanna Be The Very Best...Redemption Night vs Columbus @ 1900 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Simply that if anyone is superstar enough to need to be treated with kid gloves it would be Crosby, Malkin and maybe Letang.

And yet for the most part they buy in and put in the sweat equity.

Which is why I don't get why Sullivan doesn't go berserker on those who deserve it way more often.

I think you are being a little presumptive if you don’t think Sully goes bat shit behind closed doors. And who exactly are you talking about? JJ? He played 15ish minutes on Thursday.

Granted, after moving Kessel, the next move is to fired the coach.

Reactions: Ignatius

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Been preaching patience but if JJ is still playing by November I’m on the fire everybody train barring a miraculous October.

LGP

Would you sacrifice this season for a lottery pick and a chance at Lafreniere? Keep the lottery wins in the metro. Id love to see us miss if that happened just to see the reactions on HF. Would implode. Lemieux/Jagr to Crosby/Malkin to LaFrienere.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Is the Pens predict already dead after one game? I don't think we should give up yet, but unfortunately I'm not computer literate enough to even try to be a Mod on here. If the right personnel decisions are made, the team should be better tonight. It also helps that the Jackets played last night as well.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I think you are being a little presumptive if you don’t think Sully goes bat **** behind closed doors. And who exactly are you talking about? JJ? He played 15ish minutes on Thursday.

Granted, after moving Kessel, the next move is to fired the coach.

If JJ were the only issue last game we would have been fine.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Would you sacrifice this season for a lottery pick and a chance at Lafreniere? Keep the lottery wins in the metro. Id love to see us miss if that happened just to see the reactions on HF. Would implode. Lemieux/Jagr to Crosby/Malkin to LaFrienere.

No, the odds are too stacked against you getting the 1st overall. So long as Crosby and Malkin are elite players it would be foolish to tank, even if a guy like McDavid was available. But there’s no way this team is that bad anyway.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
If JJ were the only issue last game we would have been fine.

He was really really bad, like always. So was Letang and Dumo but we expect them to bounce back. It’s JJ who’s always absolutely terrible that really closes the margin for error.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
No, the odds are too stacked against you getting the 1st overall. So long as Crosby and Malkin are elite players it would be foolish to tank, even if a guy like McDavid was available. But there’s no way this team is that bad anyway.

I don’t think it is unreasonable if the Rangers and Devils click to see us finishing last in the division if things go badly.

Same thought also says I don’t think it is unreasonable to say the Pens finish 1st in the division.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
What does this mean?

He means if Crosby/Malkin arent the types to be bothered by a coach who calls his team out. Secure with themselves...etc

But its funny we are talking about this when Sully came in to basically fix that isssue to begin with. He got them to focus more..."stay out of the bullshit"..."play your game". Etc. Only so many times you can say that...if you arent getting the results anymore the players are gonna stop buying in. We keep changing the roster(other than the D for the most part) and we still keep seeing the odd man rushes...etc. Last year i thought was a horrible strategy sticking with that 3rd line of Simon-Bjugstad- Hornqvist. Lol we didn't need a shutdown line. We needed scoring. We basically made the Isles job easier by taking away 1 less scoring line. When the top line should have been stacked (horny added to Jake/Sid)...and Blueger back in the lineup who was great leading up to the playoffs but replaced. We had Garrett Wilson instead. We needed scoring. Besides Blueger was a solid PKer and SH threat. Our PK was an issue.

But no idea why Sully didnt go back to what worked the year before. When we had no prob scoring. Horny on top line with Sid/Jake. Thats how they could have gotten things going. And we just needed that extra goal or so...to get things going. Murray not being able to hold a lead didnt help but he shouldnt have had to shut them out each game anyway

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He means if Crosby/Malkin arent the types to be bothered by a coach who calls his team out. Secure with themselves...etc

But its funny we are talking about this when Sully came in to basically fix that isssue to begin with. He got them to focus more..."stay out of the bull****"..."play your game". Etc. Only so many times you can say that...if you arent getting the results anymore the players are gonna stop buying in. We keep changing the roster(other than the D for the most part) and we still keep seeing the odd man rushes...etc. Last year i thought was a horrible strategy sticking with that 3rd line of Simon-Bjugstad- Hornqvist. Lol we didn't need a shutdown line. We needed scoring. We basically made the Isles job easier by taking away 1 less scoring line. When the top line should have been stacked (horny added to Jake/Sid)...and Blueger back in the lineup who was great leading up to the playoffs but replaced. We had Garrett Wilson instead. We needed scoring. Besides Blueger was a solid PKer and SH threat. Our PK was an issue.

But no idea why Sully didnt go back to what worked the year before. When we had no prob scoring. Horny on top line with Sid/Jake. Thats how they could have gotten things going. And we just needed that extra goal or so...to get things going. Murray not being able to hold a lead didnt help but he shouldnt have had to shut them out each game anyway

Horny on the top line just resulted in one HDCF amongst all lines at 5v5 last game.

Funny how people don’t want to admit maybe our team just ain’t good enough especially when every team in our division over the calendar year added players like Hughes and Subban, Duchene and Dzingel, Haula and Gardnier, Panarin and Trouba, etc and we added Gudbranson and Tanev.

The root issue is our GM. And firing Sullivan allows him to blame this mess on the coach. No doubt that happens, but let’s be realistic. Rutherford thinks we are way better than we are.

Reactions: KIRK and Andy99

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don’t think it is unreasonable if the Rangers and Devils click to see us finishing last in the division if things go badly.

Same thought also says I don’t think it is unreasonable to say the Pens finish 1st in the division.

Things could go bad but even the last place Metro team will probably not have a realistic shot at Lafrenierre. Maybe if Columbus bottoms out, boy that would suck haha.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Things could go bad but even the last place Metro team will probably not have a realistic shot at Lafrenierre. Maybe if Columbus bottoms out, boy that would suck haha.

Are we really that much different than Columbus with our current roster?

They arguably have the best top four D in the East with Jones, Werenski, Murray and Savard. Atkinson is probably a top ten winger. Dubois seems like he could easily break out and then you throw in some really nice depth forwards like Anderson, Jenner and Bjorkstrand.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Yeah i could see either way. My point is iF there is gonna be a year where we do that...this would be it. Since Crosby(32) and Malkin(33) would still be young enough where it wouldn't impact us next season. And maybe getting that lottery pick(doesnt even have to be top pick...was more of a joke) could make that diff. Like how Bruins added to their squad. We do have nice prospects but we don't know if one will have that Guentzel like impact and I feel thats what we need as Crosby/Malkin age. We could have a few Hornqvist/Kunitz types. Which does help of course but as our stars age...that isn't enough. You need "elite" pkayers to surround them with.

Basically how Sharks surrounded Joe Thornton and Marlaeu. And our Stars are better than those two but you get the point. They added a Joe Pavelski...Logan Couture. And so on

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah i could see either way. My point is iF there is gonna be a year where we do that...this would be it. Since Crosby(32) and Malkin(33) would still be young enough where it wouldn't impact us next season. And maybe getting that lottery pick(doesnt even have to be top pick...was more of a joke) could make that diff. Like how Bruins added to their squad. We do have nice prospects but we don't know if one will have that Guentzel like impact and I feel thats what we need as Crosby/Malkin age. We could have a few Hornqvist/Kunitz types. Which does help of course but as our stars age...that isn't enough. You need "elite" pkayers to surround them with.

Basically how Sharks surrounded Joe Thornton and Marlaeu. And our Stars are better than those two but you get the point. They added a Joe Pavelski...Logan Couture. And so on

The Bruins and Sharks never purposefully tanked though.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Horny on the top line just resulted in one HDCF amongst all lines at 5v5 last game.

Funny how people don’t want to admit maybe our team just ain’t good enough especially when every team in our division over the calendar year added players like Hughes and Subban, Duchene and Dzingel, Haula and Gardnier, Panarin and Trouba, etc and we added Gudbranson and Tanev.

The root issue is our GM. And firing Sullivan allows him to blame this mess on the coach. No doubt that happens, but let’s be realistic. Rutherford thinks we are way better than we are.

Last game means nothing when talking about last playoffs. We could have won 10-0 the first game and id say the same

Way too much flipping out over one game. Crosby and Galchenyuk were recently hurt. We lost Rust the last game of preseason. That does matter. These new players have to adjust

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Last game means nothing when talking about last playoffs. We could have won 10-0 the first game and id say the same

Way too much flipping out over one game. Crosby and Galchenyuk were recently hurt. We lost Rust the last game of preseason. That does matter. These new players have to adjust

Hornqvist on the 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line and 4th line was not enough last year.

The correct play would have been to run Maatta instead of JJ, but most people thought that was ridiculous.

Reactions: vodeni

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Is he even on Crosby/Malkin level? also no, I don't wanna tank. Retool on the other hand? sure. For a few years and come out strong the remainder of Crosby/Malkins careers as best as we can with young guys helping out, maybe even draft C that turns into our 1C and Crosby becomes the 2C and Malkin 3C as they get older.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not sure having the best 1 2 punch in the league at center is enough to win in today’s NHL.

Enough to win the Cup by itself? No. But I think it’s enough to keep them from being a lottery team after 82 games. We’ll see, if they play like they did vs Buffalo tonight I’ll have to rethink it.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Is he even on Crosby/Malkin level? also no, I don't wanna tank. Retool on the other hand? sure. For a few years and come out strong the remainder of Crosby/Malkins careers as best as we can with young guys helping out, maybe even draft C that turns into our 1C and Crosby becomes the 2C and Malkin 3C as they get older.

Actually Idk since i havent kept up with him. Hes still putting up crazy numbers but i don't think hes lived up to that hype when he was 15 years old.

But if we did miss this year...and added a lottery pick that would be retooling... I guess i wasnt clear in my post. Not saying I want to see them miss...saying if there is a year for it to happen then this would be it. If no changes are made midseason to fix the issues and they continue. And with there being plenty of FAs next season. So we may see a retool regardless.

But we've been seeing that. Sully may be a great coach...but he may not be for this team anymore. Its only one game...we will see .

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
But we've been seeing that. Sully may be a great coach...but he may not be for this team anymore. Its only one game...we will see .

I'd say this roster is not built for Sullivan anymore thanks to JR, plus messages get stale. It's a weird roster with mixed parts and no direction. It used to have direction when we won B2B, then JR had a meltdown because of Wilson and imploded. At least he got us younger though.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'd say this roster is not built for Sullivan anymore thanks to JR, plus messages get stale. It's a weird roster with mixed parts and no direction. It used to have direction when we won B2B, then JR had a meltdown because of Wilson and imploded. At least he got us younger though.

So when we fire Sullivan ( which is what will happen ) how does it change is my question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad