GDT: I Wanna Be The Very Best...Redemption Night vs Columbus @ 1900 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I really do not give a flying f*** what the lineup is. Get this team to play hockey the way they can. They are young. They have speed. They have absolutely zero desire and the coach is the one that is responsible at the end of the day, whether right or wrong.

Play f***ing hockey the way you know how. Period.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If they can’t beat CLB who lost half their team, is playing a backup at goal and is coming off a b2b game, it’s really going to put me in a funk about their chances for the rest of the season...

Really want to see Marino out there as well...

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I really do not give a flying **** what the lineup is. Get this team to play hockey the way they can. They are young. They have speed. They have absolutely zero desire and the coach is the one that is responsible at the end of the day, whether right or wrong.

Play ****ing hockey the way you know how. Period.

I don't care how young, speedy or skilled you are. If you get outworked most of the night you will lose most nights. And most got flat out outworked in the first game.

Buffalo's forecheck was unreal, even when they had a lead and could have coasted they never stopped. Except for a couple of players you saw nothing like that from the Pens.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't care how young, speedy or skilled you are. If you get outworked most of the night you will lose most nights. And most got flat out outworked in the first game.

Buffalo's forecheck was unreal, even when they had a lead and could have coasted they never stopped. Except for a couple of players you saw nothing like that from the Pens.

The effort level, outside of (IMO) Tanev/Geno was baffling. Home opener Game 1 after being swept last year. Laughable. Awful. And I think that culture of the room is getting it. JJ gets a spot. ZAR gets a spot. Doesn't matter how camp went. It doesn't matter than in 2016 the new blood is what infused the Pens to win. They just get spots.

And i think that is really showing up.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
If the Pens look the more tired of the two teams against a club that played last night, I'll be pissed.

There better not be a repeat of the Sabres game.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I’m not sure if this is a good thing or not.

296E9B2D-8DAD-4E66-90CC-9BA364886366.jpeg

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It boggles my mind how much lack of effort this team has put in the past couple of seasons. Systems, roster composition, all those things are one thing, but effort level is something players can control. I just don't get it.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
The effort level, outside of (IMO) Tanev/Geno was baffling. Home opener Game 1 after being swept last year. Laughable. Awful. And I think that culture of the room is getting it. JJ gets a spot. ZAR gets a spot. Doesn't matter how camp went. It doesn't matter than in 2016 the new blood is what infused the Pens to win. They just get spots.

And i think that is really showing up.

I get that it is a balancing act with superstar players and taking a hard line. However in this case the two biggest superstars are for the most part the hardest working players on the ice. Crosby certainly, and although Geno could be accused of coasting at times, he certainly came into this year and that game with fire in his eyes.

So if your superstars are good with the hammer I just do not get why Sully does not use it much more than he does and take a hard line with performances like we saw with too many last game.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
One way to remedy inabilty of your d-man to bring the puck is not to have to bring the puck. I think Sully identified that, but somehow he cannot make our forward to succesfully forecheck. The fourth line is awful because it has ZAR who is F2 and is always step slow so the opponent d-man can easily either skate out or pass since our d-man don't know how to hold the blue line...The third line is the same, Hornquist will be a weak link there cause he is also slow to get to the puck. In addition to being slow, the ones with some speed like Blueger or McCann they don't seem to be in position to harass the d-man. The second line has a good chance with Tanev now and Geno dedicated to haunt the puck. Teams will played them fast and try stretch passes, this line needs some good puck handling d-man behind that can stand at the blue line or quickly recover the pucks. Sid and Jake have always been great and with Simon, if they wake up should tilt the ice...

I really think its the matter of playing the right speedy forwards on the fourth line (scratch ZAR and Horny) and somehow make them put their A effort. tonight is a chance against lowly Jackets to show something

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
One way to remedy inabilty of your d-man to bring the puck is not to have to bring the puck. I think Sully identified that, but somehow he cannot make our forward to succesfully forecheck. The fourth line is awful because it has ZAR who is F2 and is always step slow so the opponent d-man can easily either skate out or pass since our d-man don't know how to hold the blue line...The third line is the same, Hornquist will be a weak link there cause he is also slow to get to the puck. In addition to being slow, the ones with some speed like Blueger or McCann they don't seem to be in position to harass the d-man. The second line has a good chance with Tanev now and Geno dedicated to haunt the puck. Teams will played them fast and try stretch passes, this line needs some good puck handling d-man behind that can stand at the blue line or quickly recover the pucks. Sid and Jake have always been great and with Simon, if they wake up should tilt the ice...

I really think its the matter of playing the right speedy forwards on the fourth line (scratch ZAR and Horny) and somehow make them put their A effort. tonight is a chance against lowly Jackets to show something

We need Rust back but I certainly would try AJ or Lafferty in place of ZAR...in fact, I prefer it

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
If they can’t beat CLB who lost half their team, is playing a backup at goal and is coming off a b2b game, it’s really going to put me in a funk about their chances for the rest of the season...

Really want to see Marino out there as well...

The silver lining to a bad start is that things will have to change. No way ownership would stand for it. :dunno:

IMO the worst thing that could happen is a mediocre start that allows the front office to pretend that everything’s okay.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
The silver lining to a bad start is that things will have to change. No way ownership would stand for it. :dunno:

IMO the worst thing that could happen is a mediocre start that allows the front office to pretend that everything’s okay.
Well then, the problem becomes that if they rearrange the deck chairs in the Titanic and they pull out a few wins here and there and muddle through the rest of the month, nothing will likely change and they’ll just claim that they “need to put it all together” and “stack wins”.

I guess there’s two lines of thinking. Either you think that this lineup CAN succeed and pile wins, or you think that this lineup lacks chemistry and finishers and game breakers and that no amount of shuffling or film watching will make them successful.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Bring back the West Point boot camp trips??

Petts words are concerning. Maybe he's just not good at interviews?

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
We need Rust back but I certainly would try AJ or Lafferty in place of ZAR...in fact, I prefer it
I think AJ is still hurt, but agreed would like to see he or Lafferty over ZAR on L4. I miss Rusty especially since he looked ready to rock in pre-season. I'm ready to move on from Bjugs. If McCann can 3C (Simon is NOT a center here) trade him with JJ and try to get back a decent young forward.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I get that it is a balancing act with superstar players and taking a hard line. However in this case the two biggest superstars are for the most part the hardest working players on the ice. Crosby certainly, and although Geno could be accused of coasting at times, he certainly came into this year and that game with fire in his eyes.

So if your superstars are good with the hammer I just do not get why Sully does not use it much more than he does and take a hard line with performances like we saw with too many last game.

What does this mean?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Been preaching patience but if JJ is still playing by November I’m on the fire everybody train barring a miraculous October.

LGP

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
It boggles my mind how much lack of effort this team has put in the past couple of seasons. Systems, roster composition, all those things are one thing, but effort level is something players can control. I just don't get it.

When is it not on the players anymore and on coaching? Really think guys like Crosby and others will just settle for this? After winning b2b then losing to the Caps...losing the way they did last year. We got rid of Phil..."one of the problems". Starting to think Sully is running out of excuses. He did a great job getting our group over the top...no doubt about it. But IF he is the prob...dont waste more years just because he did win those. Pens of all teams should know how short of a shelf life coaches have.

If we don't turn things around with this group...we should see another midseason change and go on another run. We already changed so many players since those b2b cups. It can't be all them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino