I told a Jets fan that Matthews was better than Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
Lainee's overall play and game 5 on 5 hockey... :biglaugh:

Ain't even close to matthews. Laine is a powerplay player. A real goal scorer. He is laughed at at finland also, mayne that guy is funny. He plays games where he only does awful thangs to his own team......

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Does it really matter?

If our Leafs had selected Laine, Jets fans would have laughed at us and gloated over the second coming of Jean Béliveau to their team in Matthews.

So, it doesn't matter. Our Leafs were always going to get the 2nd best player available at pick number one according to Jets fans.

Reactions: Heart Eater

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
That's a tough choice, unless it's that pretend whole wheat, then it's a no-brainer.

So who tells Sabres fan about the Marner - Eichel debate?

Tough choice between the Eichel sourdough and Marner multi-grain.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
If I saw a Sabres fan in WDW wearing an Eichel jersey I would have said Marner is better. ;)

Eichel played a full year in his rookie season, then missed 21 and 15 games respectively (and was never PPG or got 30 let alone 40 goals).

Matthews played a full rookie season and missed 20 and 13(?) so far.

Yet only Matthews is injury prone.

What's the deal with that?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Eichel played a full year in his rookie season, then missed 21 and 15 games respectively (and was never PPG or got 30 let alone 40 goals).

I have said the same thing on the main boards when others mention Matthews being injury prone, even though others could have said the same thing about Eichel.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Never understood this Matthews-Laine debate.

He's not even better than Marner so shouldn't even be considered for comparison with Matthews.

Reactions: Heart Eater

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I really was happy when Winnipeg got a team back, but they act like jerks.
I have been looking to add a second NHL team to cheer for since the mid seventies.

The Sens would have been the logical choice since I live here in Ottawa. Their fan base here is far more annoying than Habs fans at times. Not to mention that some of them left the Leafs band wagon to become Sens fans. Disgusting IMHO.

Being an aviation enthusiast, the Jets were another good choice for me. But again, having access to the internet, and witnessing first hand the Leafs hate from their fan base, nauseates me no end. It's to the point where I hope they crash and burn every year, figuratively, of course.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013

Then we should say that Matthews and Eichel are both injury prone? That makes me feel better.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Then we should say that Matthews and Eichel are both injury prone? That makes me feel better.

I've highlighted in a post of mine I don't want to look back through my history (being on mobile, and being this site clearly purchased their servers from...from...from some shitty server store) that with very few exceptions, Ovechkin and Kopitar being two of them, that if you're a star player in the NHL, every so often you're gonna be missing time, unless you're a soft player like Kessel, Seguin or Kane.

Crosby, Bergeron, Getzlaf, Malkin, Barkov, Stamkos and even the almighty Giordano have missed significant time in their careers.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I have been looking to add a second NHL team to cheer for since the mid seventies.

The Sens would have been the logical choice since I live here in Ottawa. Their fan base here is far more annoying than Habs fans at times. Not to mention that some of them left the Leafs band wagon to become Sens fans. Disgusting IMHO.

Being an aviation enthusiast, the Jets were another good choice for me. But again, having access to the internet, and witnessing first hand the Leafs hate from their fan base, nauseates me no end. It's to the point where I hope they crash and burn every year, figuratively, of course.

I found it odd Winnipeg fans decided to join in the Leaf hate so much and view the two teams as some massive rivalry.

Reactions: Al14

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Never understood this Matthews-Laine debate.

He's not even better than Marner so shouldn't even be considered for comparison with Matthews.
I always thought that Jets fans say Laine is better since he went 2nd overall because they didn't end up with Matthews at 1st overall.

Plus they also have this inferiority complex like when they chanted "Laine's better" during the first time Matthews played against him in their rookie seasons. Although considering Laine had his first hat trick against the Leafs that night it made their fan base even worse.

Reactions: Havoc

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I always thought that Jets fans say Laine is better since he went 2nd overall because they didn't end up with Matthews at 1st overall.

Plus they also have this inferiority complex like when they chanted "Laine's better" during the first time Matthews played against him in their rookie seasons. Although considering Laine had his first hat trick against the Leafs that night it made their fan base even worse.
I hated that. They really looked like a small town doing that.

Terrible GM

Jul 10, 2013
Maritimes
Nice story I guess? What’s the point of this thread?

That LeafNation75 went to Disney World, and the rest of us didn't, cause everything else he brought up is just common knowledge.

The only player I really like for an all around game on the Jets (and is just a beast) is Mark Scheifele. That was just a great draft pick by Winnipeg. I never cared for one dimensional scores like Laine who are depended on the one timer feed for a large percentage of goals. That kind of player gets shut down in the playoffs.

Reactions: therealkoho

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I hated that. They really looked like a small town doing that.
Especially since it was Matthews 3rd career game and Laine's 4th career game at the time. Had it been the reverse and Leafs fans originally chanted Matthews is better, we would be slammed for saying something stupid like that.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I can guarantee he was not from Finland since he didn't have a finish accent, lol.

Yes I also know that Kapanen doesn't have an accent when you hear him being interviewed but this guy also had like 4 kids with him and they were also speaking perfect english with no accents.

Yikes sounds like you were outnumbered ..

Were you prepared to drop the mitts if it came down to it and a street fight broke out?

Then again you might have been able to call for backup from Mickey, Donald and Pluto in case a Matthews vs Laine instilled a royal rumble at Disney world the happiest place on earth. .:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad