I told a Jets fan that Matthews was better than Laine

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yesterday I came back from Walt Disney World and while I was at there at my Hotel waiting in line to meet one of the characters I saw a guy wearing a Laine combination jersey/hoodie. Anyway I told him in a joking way that Matthews was the better player. He laughed for and tells me in a nice way that Matthews is nothing more than a 2nd line centre. So I finally tell him at least we have both Matthews and Tavares as our #1 and #2 centres and he didn't say I was wrong about that.

Reactions: Brownbeard

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
It's not really a debate anymore. Laine has 23 goals and 30 points in 36 games, while Matthews has 19 goals and 34 points in 23 games. So Matthews has scored almost as many goals and has 4 more points in 13 less GP.

Laine is a very good goal scorer, but he's not as good as Matthews. Matthews is a two-way force at center who scores goals at the same pace as Laine and can make plays too. Anyone who argues Laine is better than Matthews is as much of a homer as those who argue Matthews is better than McDavid .

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Laine doesn't play a good 2-way game; he cheats for offense to score goals. When his coach forces him to play a 2-way game by putting him on the 4th line or reducing his minutes his scoring rate goes down.

At present Laine isn't as good. Matthews>>>Laine. Whether in future Laine will round out his game is to be seen.

Reactions: hockey07278771

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's not really a debate anymore. Laine has 23 goals and 30 points in 36 games, while Matthews has 19 goals and 34 points in 23 games. So Matthews has scored almost as many goals and has 4 more points in 13 less GP.

Laine is a very good goal scorer, but he's not as good as Matthews. Matthews is a two-way force at center who scores goals at the same pace as Laine and can make plays too. Anyone who argues Laine is better than Matthews is as much of a homer as those who argue Matthews is better than McDavid .
I wasn't saying to him so I could start the debate again. It was a spur of the moment comment since I didn't expect to see a Jets fan while on vacation and wearing something Laine related.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I’m a Canuck’s fan who absolutely HATES the Leafs. However, my favourite player as a youngster was #14 Dave Keon. Matthews reminds me of Keon, except he’s a lot bigger. IMHO, AM is the best player in the league today. McDavid is flashy, but AM is close in offence, and far harder on the D side of the puck. Did I say I hate the Leafs? :D

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It was a real debate at one time, now only Finns and Homers will believe that. All they have is the health card and deep down most know it.

Anyone with a brain knows Matthews has the tools to be in that top tier with McD (sorry I'm not buying a Generational player who only gets 5% more than the next guy) and MacK but until he stays healthy while playing at this level HF will not want to acknowledge it.

Laine though...would be our 4rth best forward at best.

Reactions: Confucius

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008

I was about to say that I kinda wish Matthews would be a bit more selfish and be more of a shooting option like Laine is but I just checked and Matthews has 7 PP goals to Laine's 10 PP goals in 13 less games...

Matthews recent one timer from Rielly actually gives me hope that he'll add that to his already big bag of tricks when it comes to shooting. Matthews just seems to score in every way possible. (Does he have a backhand goal yet this season?)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I wasn't saying to him so I could start the debate again. It was a spur of the moment comment since I didn't expect to see a Jets fan while on vacation and wearing something Laine related.

Probably should have talked about the weather and asked him if he was from Winnipeg and escaping the cold winter weather, much like you were doing on your vacation. :wg:

Reactions: 7even

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Probably should have talked about the weather and asked him if he was from Winnipeg and escaping the cold winter weather, much like you were doing on your vacation. :wg:
I assumed he was from Winnipeg because why else would he be wearing anything Laine related lol?

Honestly though it would have never occurred to me to say anything about the winter weather in Winnipeg because my first thought when I saw him was to say that Matthews is better than Laine.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I assumed he was from Winnipeg because why else would he be wearing anything Laine related lol?

Honestly though it would have never occurred to me to say anything about the winter weather in Winnipeg because my first thought when I saw him was to say that Matthews is better than Laine.

He could have been from Finland for all we know, and he could probably care less about Matthews.. :cool:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He could have been from Finland for all we know, and he could probably care less about Matthews.. :cool:
I can guarantee he was not from Finland since he didn't have a finish accent, lol.

Yes I also know that Kapanen doesn't have an accent when you hear him being interviewed but this guy also had like 4 kids with him and they were also speaking perfect english with no accents.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I was talking to an American co-worker and said I thought Trudeau was better and he agreed.

Then I was talking to an Albertan co-worker and he said he'd take Trump, that's why Jason Kenney is so popular. He also said Kenney's crowd was the biggest in the history of crowds.

I'd take Keon myself. He would do anything within the rules to win.

Reactions: Al14

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Silly to bring it up now days, About as relevent as spotting a guy wearing a jersey a Strome jersey and saying Marner is better. Yeah no shit.

Reactions: Terrible GM

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I was talking to an American co-worker and said I thought Trudeau was better and he agreed.

Then I was talking to an Albertan co-worker and he said he'd take Trump, that's why Jason Kenney is so popular. He also said Kenney's crowd was the biggest in the history of crowds.

I'd take Keon myself. He would do anything within the rules to win.

I went to the grocery store yesterday. Someone said the whole wheat was better than the multi-grain. I bought the multi-grain anyhow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->