I Thought The NHL Was Going To Make Changes To Increase Scoring

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
Start calling penalties again. The amount of obstruction that's crept back into the game is insane.

That's literally the only difference between the highs of 2005-06 and now. Goalies didn't get miraculously better and equipment sizes didn't blow up in the past 10 years alone.

EXACTLY. That is all that needs to be done.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
officiating ruins my enjoyment of the game

no thanks to giving refs more power to influence outcome

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Using last night's games as an example, which ones would be enhanced or made more exciting by having bigger nets?

Panthers 2
Flyers 3

Canucks 2
Devils 3

Oilers 3
Sabres 4

Rangers 2
Islanders 4

Avalanche 3
Predators 4

Red Wings 4
Jets 3

Canadiens 2
Blues 3

Flames 2
Stars 1

Coyotes 0
Blackhawks 4

Sabres/Oilers
Wings/Jets
Avs/Preds

Bigger nets and Chicago probably scores 8 or 9

Feed Me A Stray Cat

Mar 27, 2005
Boston, MA
Scoring has actually been pretty stable the last five or six year, right around 5.5 goals per game. This matches the levels of the late 90s/early 00s. This is also only slightly below the levels in the 50s and 60s.

I think the league would benefit from an average closer to 5.75, but who really cares?

By the way, lol at the AHL from like 1975 until 1995.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
http://www.dropyourgloves.com/Stat/LeagueGoals.aspx

I know this is :deadhorse

But looking at the graph its clear that scoring isnt increasing... in a few years we'll be back to the 97-04 DPE.

I dont know if they can make the equipment even smaller, as they already have. I can only see making the nets bigger, say an inch on each side, as the realistic solution.

Not sure if making it illegal to lie down to block shots would make sense.

What say you?

These numbers are including shootout goals. Scoring has been similar or even lower than a lot of the seasons from 97-04 since 11/12, especially for the top players. This is nothing new...

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
officiating ruins my enjoyment of the game

no thanks to giving refs more power to influence outcome

You're thinking about it the wrong way. Yes there will be more penalties (and more powerplays) just like there were in 05-06. But then the guy who took the penalty will think twice about whacking Gaudreau across the hands when he tries to enter the zone on his next shift. And then bit by bit, not whacking a guy across the hands when he enters the zone becomes the norm, instead of it being the standard like it is now.

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
Decrease goalie size dramatically. It doesn't increase the risk of injury. Scoring was high way back then not because of systems or players weren't worn out or whatever, it was because goalies weren't covered with 300 pounds of padding

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
4-3 is a great score to watch, but it doesnt happen often obviously. I can probably find you a night where every game was 2-1 or less.

I dont think hockey is boring as hell now, but there sure are A LOT of boring periods and sometimes games.

Well you could throw the NFL and NBA in there then too.. Not every period is gonna blow your socks off.

Personally I think its more important to look at how many 1 goal games there are vs 5-3 type games. You want games to come down to 3rd period.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Start calling penalties again. The amount of obstruction that's crept back into the game is insane.

That's literally the only difference between the highs of 2005-06 and now. Goalies didn't get miraculously better and equipment sizes didn't blow up in the past 10 years alone.

It's so simple. Last year Kane lead the league with 37 PPP, next one had 30. Last year OEL lead the league with 5:10 PP TOI/GP. Last year 3 players topped 15 PPGs.

2005-06 Kovalchuk had 56 PPP and lead the league with 08:15 PP TOI/GP. 68 players had more than 30 PPP and 27 people topped 15 PPGs.

Scoring on EV is pretty much the same as in 2005-06.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The main problem with the game is the entertainment value, it doesn't necessarily need more scoring. Make the right calls consistently, powerplays will go up for a while, and players will adjust but then things will be more opened up. This in turn should lead to more scoring, increasing the net size slightly wouldn't hurt much at this point either. Too many games are bloody snooze festivals now.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

So much this.

This. The lesser amount of PP's to me is the sole reason scoring is down so much. That, and star players get obstructed the moment they enter the zone, which in my eyes is blatant cheating. Then again, guys like McDavid, Eichel, Matthews and so on, would probably score a lot more without obstruction+ more PP's.

It's not just the power plays, but when the refs actually call obstruction, and interference, guys start to let up, and then there is actually room to move, and speed to use. The NHL doesn't seem to care though. With a slower game it means they have less concussion suits to deal with.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
How so?

For most of the NHL's history, players diving to block a shot almost never happened. Hockey was still fun to watch. In fact, you'd argue that it was more entertaining than it is now.

Also, what about player safety? Another good reason to implement a ban on shot-blocking if one leaves his feet.

So if someone has a wide open shot. The defending team is not allowed to lay down to block the shot? How would you possibly enforce that. Just be nonsense

Who cares if these guys get a few bruises. Their job is to keep the puck out of the net.

I think there's too many bad penalties already. Obstruction penalties were a joke. You couldn't even touch a guy, looked like basketball out there. Just enforce the smaller pads idea that is already in development. Most of these ideas are nonsense.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
game is fine. i'm still entertained. haha

Yeah same case for me.

But I honestly believe that a simple tweak like switching benches for the first and third periods will see a dramatic rise in entertainment value. There is a reason why second periods feature the most goals. (too lazy to check the stats, so correct me if I am wrong)

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
So much this.

It's not just the power plays, but when the refs actually call obstruction, and interference, guys start to let up, and then there is actually room to move, and speed to use. The NHL doesn't seem to care though. With a slower game it means they have less concussion suits to deal with.

True, though the NHL has seemingly done away with open ice hits now anyways, so what does it matter?

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
For me the relationship between goals and entertainment isn't as strong as it is for other people. I think more scoring chances => more excitement.

But I will say I think the on ice product isn't as good as it was even 5 or 6 years ago. Certainly the talent is there, but I think the following is leading to an inferior product:

- Less fighting
- Game feels less physical
- Coach's challenge
- Clutching and grabbing making its way back into the game

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Amen. Perfectly said.

I'd add it's not so much about raw scoring but about scoring chances--only way to open the game up is what you've suggested. Everything else just affects the nets/goaltending, and the end result is the same product we have now with artificially higher scores.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
For me the relationship between goals and entertainment isn't as strong as it is for other people. I think more scoring chances => more excitement.

But I will say I think the on ice product isn't as good as it was even 5 or 6 years ago. Certainly the talent is there, but I think the following is leading to an inferior product:

- Less fighting
- Game feels less physical
- Coach's challenge
- Clutching and grabbing making its way back into the game

All of this and it's just an overall suffocating defensive game. Peak entertainment was between 2006-11 IMO.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Amen. Perfectly said.

I'd add it's not so much about raw scoring but about scoring chances--only way to open the game up is what you've suggested. Everything else just affects the nets/goaltending, and the end result is the same product we have now with artificially higher scores.

This is mostly true, however I think you have to consider that with outside shots that aren't screened becoming more of a threat to go in, that makes the defense step up and challenge more which should open things up a bit closer to the net.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
So much this.

That was my point. More room to move, more offensive creativity. The lack of speed "reduces concussions" but the NHL has already made it illegal to aim for the head, so there's literally no retroactive downside to getting rid of obstruction/calling a penalty for it. It would make the game more exciting to watch, instead of teams begin able to score 2 goals and trapping the rest of the game because they flood the neutral zone and obstruct anyone who tries to break it.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Reducing the size of goalie pads or increasing net size is only treating the symptom and not the actual problem. The game will still be boring. Call obstruction again. Refs = stupid. Dan ohollarn especially.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't want more penalties called. I am in favor of calling icing on the short handed team, so a penalty is more penal.

Smaller goalie pads, also.

Last resort, bigger nets. The average size of player has increased by what, 3 or 4 inches since the net dimensions were decided upon, why not the nets?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad