I Thought The NHL Was Going To Make Changes To Increase Scoring

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
In Calgary we'll be lucky to have a 20 goal scorer this year.

Is anyone on pace to hit 50? Maybe Sidney because of the fewer games played.

Fact is outside of the Rangers and maybe the Pens, league scoring has to be way down - it's certainly not up.

The simple adjustment proposed was the goalie pads. Did they do it?

Anyway, some tweaking is needed. I remember when Calgary had 3 50-goal scorers. Now we might not have a 20 goal scorer and that's pathetic.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB

Fact is outside of the Rangers and maybe the Pens, league scoring has to be way down - it's certainly not up.

Anyway, some tweaking is needed. I remember when Calgary had 3 50-goal scorers. Now we might not have a 20 goal scorer and that's pathetic.

The thing about the NHL is that they quickly change then quickly change back.

Just call the hooking and holding as it is written in the rule book. Let the players adjust to the new standard. Also ban offsides. :D

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015

Maybe Calgary needs to get good? :dunno:

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Here comes the "Why Does Everyone Want More Scoring" crowd. Scoring is good for business.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Here comes the "Why Does Everyone Want More Scoring" crowd. Scoring is good for business.

That must be why professional soccer doesn't have a pot to **** in right? :help:

It has nothing to do with the score up on the board. It's about the flow of the game. Dump and chase is boring but it works. The game is coached boring and there's nothing that's going to change that.

If you make the pads smaller or the nets bigger, you'll have the same boring game with a few more weakass goals scored from 60 feet away.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
Maybe Calgary needs to get good? :dunno:

This. Just because Calgary doesn't have any 20 goal scorers doesn't mean the NHL is broken. It means Calgary is broken. ;)

But seriously, we should just have a sticky for complaints about scoring/refs.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I swear they stopped calling tripping like two and a half weeks ago. I can't even count the amount of times guys have been tripped with no call in the games I've watched recently.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
We're currently at 5.4 goals per game. That's plenty of scoring. 4+ goal games (for one team) SHOULD be rare.
And odd time to post this considering half the games completed so far tonight have 6 or 7 goals in them.

The reason we have fun watching a 6-4 game is because it doesn't happen always. Otherwise we run into the basketball effect where you only need to watch the final five minutes or so because the first 55 have no real impact on the game because the lead resets so many times.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
We're currently at 5.4 goals per game. That's plenty of scoring. 4+ goal games (for one team) SHOULD be rare.
And odd time to post this considering half the games completed so far tonight have 6 or 7 goals in them.

The reason we have fun watching a 6-4 game is because it doesn't happen always. Otherwise we run into the basketball effect where you only need to watch the final five minutes or so because the first 55 have no real impact on the game because the lead resets so many times.

I'd like to see 4-3 be the norm instead of 3-2.

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
I think it was on the Marek and Wysh podcast they said Vasilevskiy is one of the guys wearing the new streamline goalie pants. Well to this point he's having an amazing season. Go figure.

Quarter

The caravan moves on
Mar 3, 2011
Ontario
Yeah, just because Calgary doesn't have anyone that can score 20 goals doesn't mean scoring is down. That just means Calgary is less-than-good.

Hobble

Sep 2, 2010
Laine hasn't scored in 5.
Obviously that is why league scoring is down.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
This. Just because Calgary doesn't have any 20 goal scorers doesn't mean the NHL is broken. It means Calgary is broken. ;)

But seriously, we should just have a sticky for complaints about scoring/refs.

You can't really say this. The fact is scoring can't be so woefully nonexistent even for basement dwellers.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I'd like to see some changes implemented next year.

I was never a fan of the idea of making the nets bigger, but I'm starting to believe that would be a step in the right direction. The goalies are just do damn good, too damn big and athletic, and the equipment is all XXL oversized.

I also like the idea I saw out there about making the blue line "fatter" and stretching deeper down into the opponents zone.

You can't remove the blueline without fundamentally changing hockey, but this would really help to open up that clogged up neutral zone.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Making the nets bigger would create a gigantic burst like we saw in 05-06 and then once everyone got used to it, it would normalize.

All that does is create artificial goals without changing the game.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I'd like to see some changes implemented next year.

I was never a fan of the idea of making the nets bigger, but I'm starting to believe that would be a step in the right direction. The goalies are just do damn good, too damn big and athletic, and the equipment is all XXL oversized.

I also like the idea I saw out there about making the blue line "fatter" and stretching deeper down into the opponents zone.

You can't remove the blueline without fundamentally changing hockey, but this would really help to open up that clogged up neutral zone.

I think you could modify the post diameter slightly without seeming like you're tinkering too much. Some of the shots off the post might just go in instead. But shaving goalies pads some would also help. Just these modifications alone would probably increase scoring by a goal per game.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
You can't really say this. The fact is scoring can't be so woefully nonexistent even for basement dwellers.

Sure it can. That's why you're a basement dweller.

Soccer is the most popular game in the world and it's even lower scoring than hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad