LeBrun: "I think you're talking Johnsson or Kapanen" for a RHD with term

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It doesn't have to make sense when the topic is about how the Leafs value the player, and how the player is valued around the league. Fans have been throwing him into random things like for backup goalies and stuff and it shows how far off they are with his value around the league.

Leafs really like him and for good reason. I would hate to see our PK without him.

I agree that Kapanen has value, but there just isn't a fit with Minnesota. If Lebrun would've taken two minutes to look at the Wild's roster and contracts, there is no way he would've speculated what he did. Just laziness on his part.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Nothing hopeful about it, Kapanen for Brett Pesce was being discussed last off season, he has more value than people who don't watch him think he does. And Dumba imo would be a terrible fit for us.

90% of all hockey media is in Canada, when you realize that it'll help you drop the idea that things are reported unfairly, or that Canadians are only being pandered to by these people who we watch and listen to daily while they give the real deal info on their 2 minute weekly guest spot on the NHL network.

Its conspiracy like thinking, and sad.

I did not intend for this to be a Canadian based speculation. I just went in terms of a large fan base that speculates upon trades regarding their teams. As a resident of St. Louis some of the trades being discussed that you hear on the media are absolutely wishful thinking on our behalf. Which would be, i'm assuming fairly consistent with trades being discussed on Toronto Sports Net for Toronto based teams.

Radio broadcasts do and should pander to their local listeners, that's essentially what i was getting at.

Reactions: TFHockey and Bazeek

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Something people should remember when participating in this thread. People love to pretend insiders are gospel when they agree with them and nothing but crackpot rumourmongers when they don't.

Let's just take it for what it is. A guy who is speaking from a position of experience who may or may not have some legit insider information but also who's job it is to get eyeballs on the television set/website. So basically who knows.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
I'm a Toronto fan who is explaining why the Leafs would value Kapanen so heavily in a thread dedicated to such. You are a fan adding nothing but personal insults.

You literally said you believed guerin offered Dumba to Toronto straight up for kapanen and was turned down, so yes it's funny & laughable comment

Reactions: Pia8988

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
If Guerin really offered Dumba to the Leafs, Russo would've sniffed it out immediately.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
If this happens HF will crash. Lol. If Kapanen lands Dumba the only thing holding up a trade would be moving the Ceci contract in a separate deal to free up the space.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
If (operating in a universe where Kap=Dumba) Leafs would need to move out an additional 2.8m.

So where does Ceci go? A right side of Dumba, Barrie, Holl is decent. (I'd prefer to find a way to trade Barrie for a better defensive guy (Manson type) but that's seperate)

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I agree that Kapanen has value, but there just isn't a fit with Minnesota. If Lebrun would've taken two minutes to look at the Wild's roster and contracts, there is no way he would've speculated what he did. Just laziness on his part.

It's not a trade proposal. He is saying that Kapanen has enough value to get someone like Dumba, not that this is a trade that will happen.

You literally said you believed guerin offered Dumba to Toronto straight up for kapanen and was turned down, so yes it's funny & laughable comment

No I literally did not say that. I said IF Dumba was offered, it's not unreasonable for Dubas to hesitate pulling the trigger and gave reasons why. Take your misdirected outrage elsewhere.

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
Fair point for sure, but I'd argue under Keefe they don't really run and gun. But that is a derailing point to make :P

I would say that Kapanen is one of the few players on the Leafs who's value is not in his scoring, which is why he is so valuable to them.

Which i'm sure is true, he seems like a player that is fast and hard on the puck. From an outside perspective it seems a bit hard to actually believe Kapanen would put up 45 points next to a Luke Kunin as opposed to a Tavares especially given the different systems that are in place for each team etc. etc. Regardless, is he still a player that is very valuable? Absolutely, it just depends on what x team is looking for and in my opinion for what it's worth it's hard to justify him as a surefire top 6 point producer.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I believe it. Dumba is nothing special if you look at his analytics and it seems like more and more teams are looking at those stats instead of just points, especially when evaluating dmen. Plus there's the added concern that he hasn't looked the same since his injury.
It’s not saying much because they all looked bad that day. But in the Boston/Minny game he looked like the best player on that roster.

If I’m trading that guy I want someone coming back that I can sell as an equal/more important player.

Not sure Kapanen would be that guy. This one seems like Lebrun needed to fill 10 minutes of air time to pump up the TDL show coming up

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
It's not a trade proposal. He is saying that Kapanen has enough value to get someone like Dumba, not that this is a trade that will happen.
Since the media has apparently failed at this, do Toronto fans have any ideas of which Dumba-like players would actually be available in a trade for Kapanen?

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Which i'm sure is true, he seems like a player that is fast and hard on the puck. From an outside perspective it seems a bit hard to actually believe Kapanen would put up 45 points next to a Luke Kunin as opposed to a Tavares especially given the different systems that are in place for each team etc. etc. Regardless, is he still a player that is very valuable? Absolutely, it just depends on what x team is looking for and in my opinion for what it's worth it's hard to justify him as a surefire top 6 point producer.

Once again kapanen wouldn't play in wild top 6 & wild already have too many wingers

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
People are going to be surprised how much value he has.

- Name recognition and pedigree (1st round pick, NHL bloodlines, traded for Kessel)
- 23 with significant untapped potential (was overcooked in the AHL)
- Elite attributes (skating especially, hands/shot combo)
- Great PKer
- 45-50 point guy from the bottom six
- Cheap contract with term
- RFA (still) at the end of his current contract
- Right handed shot (can play both sides, but is better at RW)

There's a huge amount of control and potential with this player.

I give it less than half a season after he's traded before people start proclaiming Kapanen is a top line player.

I don't see the untapped potential. He does not play well with others, Kap has to be the first guy in history who Tavares couldn't play with, he was also a bad fit with all of our other elite players. To your other points, yes, Kapanen is a very unique and good player to have for his speed/production and versatility but will he ever be a particularly good top 6er? I doubt it. He has severe tunnel vision and he's a puck hog with mediocre finish.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

That's the thing, you are assuming he is playing with JT or Matthews, when most of the time he is on the third line with either Kerfoot, Spezza, or recently Engvall. He also gets only 2nd PP time.

That's where the "mystery" value comes from. If you plop him on your top line and 1st PP unit, do you get a say, 60 point+ winger instead of a 45 point one? And a 60 point winger with his overall game is pretty damn valuable around the league.

Since the media has apparently failed at this, do Toronto fans have any ideas of which Dumba-like players would actually be available in a trade for Kapanen?

I think the general message is supposed to be that Kapanen has the value to be the main piece in a deal for a D upgrade, but people are taking it at face value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad