I think the NHL has long term problems...

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
GAME MANAGEMENT has ALWAYS BEEN in the NHL. Calls are not messed or missed more than ever before, people just whine and bitch about it more. I like how I am Gary Bettman for not agreeing with your wrong assessment that the league has a reffing issue. Peel didn't expose anything as any long time fan and even mid term fan knew about game management. Whether any of us likes game management is irrelevant as the NHL has always done it this way and are going to continue to do it this way.

All you penalty call whiners hate it now, but if they called it by the book, there would literally be whistles and penalties every 5-10 seconds, as there is a boatload of stuff that is technically a penalty that doesn't get called. Can't have it both ways.
They literally did that after the lockout and surprise, the players adjusted.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
this is interesting because signing bonuses play a large part because they are not game checks. Therefore they would be solely taxed in the state that the player plays. Now it definitely isn’t 40%. But say a Cali team vs a Florida team. If a player receives a 6 million dollar SB the differance is 780k which is substantial.

How often do players use their home team's cities for those signing bonuses, though?

Matthews uses his address in Arizona to get his signing bonuses.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Why not have both? You can worry about those things too. The sanctity of game and safety of players has to be a priority though. It’s the foundation which the sport is built on. The cap space and contracts are just numbers, it’s up to the players on ice to determine who wins and who loses. Is the officiating not more of a factor than that anyway?

Those missed calls are always going to happen as the officials are human and make errors, but not to this extent.
Id obviously love for reffing to be perfect but its just not realistic - not unless you want to review every play in the game. And most dont want that

the games becoming much faster, naturally the amount if missed calls will continue to rise as the old head reffing crews start to depart (baby boomers)

NHL Review

Twitter: @nhl_review
Oct 27, 2019
GAME MANAGEMENT has ALWAYS BEEN in the NHL. Calls are not messed or missed more than ever before, people just whine and bitch about it more. I like how I am Gary Bettman for not agreeing with your wrong assessment that the league has a reffing issue. Peel didn't expose anything as any long time fan and even mid term fan knew about game management. Whether any of us likes game management is irrelevant as the NHL has always done it this way and are going to continue to do it this way.

All you penalty call whiners hate it now, but if they called it by the book, there would literally be whistles and penalties every 5-10 seconds, as there is a boatload of stuff that is technically a penalty that doesn't get called. Can't have it both ways.

A lot to break down here

1. Yes, game management has always been a part of the NHL. That doesn’t mean it should be. Plenty of things in the sport that were “always that way” until they were changed. Sport got better. That’s called progress

2. Calls are definitely missed more now, not sure how you can say that. Watched hockey my whole life but even since starting this account in 2018 it’s easy to see the trend from year to year. It’s gotten worse. Stop writing people’s legitimate concerns off as “whining” because you don’t want to discuss the subject. What are you scared of? No one wants to take the physicality out of the game. We just want the calls to be more consistent and dangerous plays penalized

3. Players will adapt as they always have. They adapted when they cut down on interference and slashing. It’s dramatically better than before although the interference is still an issue. Penalties skyrocketed at first and then went down when players realized what the new standard was. They’re not stupid.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They literally did that after the lockout and surprise, the players adjusted.

Literally did what? The NHL has never called every single penalty, so no the players didn't adjust. By the rules the players do all sorts of little things that are actually penalties, which is what you are on and on about bellyaching. When they came back from the lockout they called more for a brief time, but not even close to all penalties. Again can't have all or selected calls only.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
How often do players use their home team's cities for those signing bonuses, though?

Matthews uses his address in Arizona to get his signing bonuses.
Fair I don’t think it’s a huge issue I just don’t think it’s a non issue.

I personally think the only Salary cap changes we need are that contracts after the ELC have reduced cap hits when players resign with the teams that drafted them.

say a 10% reduction on the cap hit. Or a 20% reduction but you can only designate 2 contracts.

Reactions: KKforprez

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Literally did what? The NHL has never called every single penalty, so no the players didn't adjust. By the rules the players do all sorts of little things that are actually penalties, which is what you are on and on about bellyaching. When they came back from the lockout they called more for a brief time, but not even close to all penalties. Again can't have all or selected calls only.
They called less because the players adjusted to the new rules. It's not that complicated.

Reactions: NHL Safety Watch

NHL Review

Oct 27, 2019
Id obviously love for reffing to be perfect but its just not realistic - not unless you want to review every play in the game. And most dont want that

the games becoming much faster, naturally the amount if missed calls will continue to rise as the old head reffing crews start to depart (baby boomers)

Okay so what’s the solution for this?

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
thats because hockey is such a great sport. But the League and how it operates could do with some improvements.

The league is far behind popularity because they are terrible at everything outside of the actual game on the ice. Everything from advertising to promoting the game, is ran by either children, or older men that have let technology get ahead of them. It’s never going to overtake the NFL, but it could give the NBA a slight run for its money.

Look at the Panthers for example. Their social media/multimedia platform was absolutely terrible up until the last couple of seasons. Winning in South Florida is obviously key to their attendance, but I’m willing to bet that they won over even more would be fans because of how they promoted themselves that way, over the past couple of seasons.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
A lot to break down here

1. Yes, game management has always been a part of the NHL. That doesn’t mean it should be. Plenty of things in the sport that were “always that way” until they were changed. Sport got better. That’s called progress

2. Calls are definitely missed more now, not sure how you can say that. Watched hockey my whole life but even since starting this account in 2018 it’s easy to see the trend from year to year. It’s gotten worse. Stop writing people’s legitimate concerns off as “whining” because you don’t want to discuss the subject. What are you scared of?

3. Players will adapt as they always have. They adapted when they cut down on interference and slashing. It’s dramatically better than before although the interference is still an issue. Penalties skyrocketed at first and then went down when players realized the new standard

Been watching since 1990, they missed just as many calls back then. The absolute only difference, is there wasn't an internet for people to go bitch about it on. Only difference. I don't like game management either, but it will remain because the alternative is to call everything by the book, and 10+ PP a period and all the stops in play would soon have you being upset about that.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Close the LTIR loophole, make it so a player needs to have played at least 20%-25% of the regular season to be eligible for the playoffs, and have at it with allowances to possibly bring in someone else from maybe the AHL in an EBUG kind of way if injuries absolutely require it.

Fix consistency in reffing. Call the playoffs like you do the regular season, whether that means amending the regular season or playoff, I don't care. Just be consistent. Stop trying to manage the flow, call penalties when they are committed, and do it for both teams.

Reactions: TheNumber4

NHL Review

Oct 27, 2019
Been watching since 1990, they missed just as many calls back then. The absolute only difference, is there wasn't an internet for people to go bitch about it on. Only difference. I don't like game management either, but it will remain because the alternative is to call everything by the book, and 10+ PP a period and all the stops in play would soon have you being upset about that.

The internet has been around for over two decades now. Twitter has been around for 15 years. Facebook even longer. You can’t tell me there was this much criticism even five years ago. It’s gotten a lot louder and there is a reason for that.

Please read the post before responding since I clarified the “10 PPs a game” in the third point. Since you’ve also been watching a long time, you should know that every time they’ve cut down on certain infractions penalties have gone up and then back down again when players adapted. They didn’t stop enforcing the rule changes. Go back and look at footage of a couple seasons ago before they cut back on slashing. Players were extremely lazy and would just hack away at a players stick or glove until they lost control and it wasn’t called. Ton of penalties when the change was made and now it’s back down to being OK in that area

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
They called less because the players adjusted to the new rules. It's not that complicated.

Players haven't adjusted to the new rules. Do you watch all the extra little hacks/wacks, and jersey and stick grabs that players do now that don't get called. Just on one rush the other night, Anderson should have been called 2 for holding and 2 for slashing, while Cernak would have gotten 2 for tripping. That is just one play. Players will always do little things like that, and if all of it gets called, it is one whistle after another which means the game has no flow at all. If you think players just magically stop doing all these extra little things you are sadly mistaken.

volcom92886

Feb 23, 2009
So Cal
Close the LTIR loophole, make it so a player needs to have played at least 20%-25% of the regular season to be eligible for the playoffs, and have at it with allowances to possibly bring in someone else from maybe the AHL in an EBUG kind of way if injuries absolutely require it.

Fix consistency in reffing. Call the playoffs like you do the regular season, whether that means amending the regular season or playoff, I don't care. Just be consistent. Stop trying to manage the flow, call penalties when they are committed, and do it for both teams.

No need to set a games played playoff eligibility for being able to play in the playoffs. Just carry over the salary cap to the post-season, makes zero sense to utilize it all regular season and then forget about it come playoff time.

Reactions: Toene

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The internet has been around for over two decades now. Twitter has been around for 15 years. Facebook even longer. You can’t tell me there was this much criticism even five years ago. It’s gotten a lot louder and there is a reason for that.

Again, please read the post before responding though since I clarified the “10 PPs a game in the third point”

Of course there is. People whine and moan every single year about bad calls since the internet has been around. Are you new to the internet and its sites? There is complaining everywhere every year.

NHL Review

Oct 27, 2019
Of course there is. People whine and moan every single year about bad calls since the internet has been around. Are you new to the internet and its sites? There is complaining everywhere every year.

Now tell me when was the last time multiple coaches have spoken out in one season (after they won, and were subsequently fined) and an Original 6 franchise fined a quarter of a million dollars for calling for the removal of a very influential league official..

Reactions: Future GOAT

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly, I also don't understand how things like salary cap, LTIR loopholes and tax differences impacts anyone's enjoyment in the sport. Frankly, I don't really give a crap what these players are earning or what these teams are doing to get a competitive advantage, because it doesn't impact the quality of the games in my eyes. I'm not thinking "I'm not enjoying this game because my team can't go over the cap to add more good players" while watching a game.

People complain about things like that because they want their teams to get some sort of advantage to make them better or they want to get some sort of "compensation" for something they feel they've been slighted over. That's not because the quality of the sport is bad, that's because you want your team to have advantages that you feel other teams have.

To me, it's not a valid criticism of hockey to complain that you want some sort of advantages just because you want them. If it's an idea that basically boils down to "I want this because it benefits my team", it's not a valid criticism.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
A couple of things regarding officiating…

1. They should have an off ice official, monitoring what happens behind the play. The pace of play is so fast and furious, calls are going to be missed. Having an off ice official rectifies that.

2. They have VAR and goal line technology in soccer, there is no reason it can’t be used in hockey nets as well. Even gps puck positioning could be used, to see the pucks position. And before talking about cost, it would be minimal.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
No need to set a games played playoff eligibility for being able to play in the playoffs. Just carry over the salary cap to the post-season, makes zero sense to utilize it all regular season and then forget about it come playoff time.
I don't want a precedent set that teams will rest some of their stars for the season, or delay medical procedures to try and circumvent the cap which robs the fans of seeing players in their prime just so they can have a better playoff roster. If the player is in the playoffs, make them be a significant part of the regular season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Now tell me when was the last time multiple coaches have spoken out in one season (after they won, and were subsequently fined) and an Original 6 franchise fined a quarter of a million dollars for calling for the removal of a very influential league official..

Fine amount is irrelevant. There have been far more than 2 coaches openly complain about officiating, which is yet another thing not new about this. Coaches complain all the time about calls and missed calls.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Again, this makes zero sense because it wouldn't allow for pro-rated cap space. Players aren't paid for the playoffs, so making a salary ceiling for the playoffs doesn't make sense.

Do people know how cap space is actually calculated? It's a daily function based on what you're paying for players each day. It doesn't make sense to say "you have to be cap compliant in the playoffs" because most teams on any given day aren't cap compliant by the end of the season, they're using whatever banked cap space they've accumulated to go over the cap.

If you're under the daily cap by $40k every day for half of the season, you can go over the cap by $40k for the second half of the season and still be "cap compliant".

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
... As a Canadian, who grew up watching and playing the game, to now having kids playing the game, if my interest as a hardcore fan is declining - I can't imagine the market is increasing.

Dismissing the shortened and Covid seasons, the NHL has had a steady growth in revenue. If the market is not increasing as you say, what's the cause?

S6GaKVS.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad