I think the NHL has long term problems...

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
First, congrats to the Lightning on their dominating Cup Win.

Some of my below points are highlighting a couple advantages that Tampa has enjoyed, but is no way sour grapes or an attack on the franchise. They played by the rules, good for them. My observations are strictly about the rules and how the league is run, so please save any calls about me being " a hater, or anti Tampa", no one wants to hear it.

Here is my list of things that should be of HUGE concern for the league:

1. The Reffing. It needs a complete overhaul and the league needs to decide what type of product they want to put on the ice. I submit, at present, it's an inconsistent mess. No one knows what a penalty is anymore, game management tactics and a total disconnect from regular season to playoffs. IF this isn't fixed soon, it's going to turn a lot of folks off the game.
  2. Salary Cap. I personally believe it has some good points, but their needs to be a Luxury Tax or something for teams wanting to go for it and trying to win it all. Big markets are why this league stays afloat, they need the option to spend more.
  3. Salary Cap. The tax advantage that multiple have over other higher taxed states or provinces have. To ignore this math is simply unfair. The same contract can be worth 40% more on some teams - yet ALL teams have the same amount to spend. It's utterly ridiculous.
  4. Salary Cap. Yes, Tampa played by the rules. Yet, this was a bit of mockery when considering what they were able to dress come playoff time. Changes are needed.
  5. Salary Cap. While protecting player dollars, teams need to have more option to get away from bad contracts. One bad signing can hamstring a team for a half decade. Is the game played in the boardroom or on the ice?
  6. Goalie equipment. More need to be done on these rules/guidelines. The pic of Price/Vas shaking hands was comical, Price looks normal and Vas looks like the stay puff marshmallow man from Ghost Busters.
  7. Size of nets. Despite being a traditionalist, I am coming around to the idea of making the nets a tiny bit bigger. Watching 1-0 Stanley Cup clinching games is NOT good for the future of hockey. I know some will disagree, but the entertainment value of that series was lackluster.
  8. The case against the Black Hawks. I will just say that the league better get it right, with whatever they do. This simply cannot happen. Also, boo to Ron McLean for giving Bettman a pass and not evening asking him about it.
As a Canadian, who grew up watching and playing the game, to now having kids playing the game, if my interest as a hardcore fan is declining - I can't imagine the market is increasing.

FIX this sh*t now.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
  1. Salary Cap. The tax advantage that multiple have over other higher taxed states or provinces have. To ignore this math is simply unfair. The same contract can be worth 40% more on some teams - yet ALL teams have the same amount to spend. It's utterly ridiculous.
Show your math on this calculation, please. And remember that we're talking about state income tax (not federal income tax) differences, and that it's pro-rated based on where a player plays (so a player in Florida doesn't get the full benefit, for instance).

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

Some of my below points are highlighting a couple advantages that Tampa has enjoyed, but is no way sour grapes or an attack on the franchise. They played by the rules, good for them. My observations are strictly about the rules and how the league is run, so please save any calls about me being " a hater, or anti Tampa", no one wants to hear it.

1. The Reffing. It needs a complete overhaul and the league needs to decide what type of product they want to put on the ice. I submit, at present, it's an inconsistent mess. No one knows what a penalty is anymore, game management tactics and a total disconnect from regular season to playoffs. IF this isn't fixed soon, it's going to turn a lot of folks off the game.
  2. Salary Cap. I personally believe it has some good points, but their needs to be a Luxury Tax or something for teams wanting to go for it and trying to win it all. Big markets are why this league stays afloat, they need the option to spend more.
  3. Salary Cap. The tax advantage that multiple have over other higher taxed states or provinces have. To ignore this math is simply unfair. The same contract can be worth 40% more on some teams - yet ALL teams have the same amount to spend. It's utterly ridiculous.
  4. Salary Cap. Yes, Tampa played by the rules. Yet, this was a bit of mockery when considering what they were able to dress come playoff time. Changes are needed.
  5. Salary Cap. While protecting player dollars, teams need to have more option to get away from bad contracts. One bad signing can hamstring a team for a half decade. Is the game played in the boardroom or on the ice?
  6. Goalie equipment. More need to be done on these rules/guidelines. The pic of Price/Vas shaking hands was comical, Price looks normal and Vas looks like the stay puff marshmallow man from Ghost Busters.
  7. Size of nets. Despite being a traditionalist, I am coming around to the idea of making the nets a tiny bit bigger. Watching 1-0 Stanley Cup clinching games is NOT good for the future of hockey. I know some will disagree, but the entertainment value of that series was lackluster.
  8. The case against the Black Hawks. I will just say that the league better get it right, with whatever they do. This simply cannot happen. Also, boo to Ron McLean for giving Bettman a pass and not evening asking him about it.
As a Canadian, who grew up watching and playing the game, to now having kids playing the game, if my interest as a hardcore fan is declining - I can't imagine the market is increasing.

FIX this sh*t now.
What state or province has 40% LOCAL tax rates? I live in NY and our state taxes are not even close to that. If it was such an advantage why haven't the best players bolted for these no-state tax states the first moment they could? Why didn't Ovechkin, Crosby, Malkin sign with the Stars, Lightning, Panthers as soon as they were UFA eligible? Secondly, these guys pay a jock-tax. So, when the Lightning play on the road against the Isles, Rangers, Sabres, they are paying NY state income taxes. When they play the Devils on the road, they pay NJ state income taxes.

5) Bad contracts? Should contracts not be guaranteed? Yeah, NHLPA might go for that. Should buy-outs not count against the Cap? Yeah, owners might go for that.

King Karl

five-year run of unparalleled suffering
Mar 18, 2014
Halifax, NS
Show your math on this calculation, please. And remember that we're talking about state income tax (not federal income tax) differences, and that it's pro-rated based on where a player plays (so a player in Florida doesn't get the full benefit, for instance).
How do signing bonuses work with state/provincial taxes? If player A has a 5M signing bonus and 1M salary (and plays in Florida), will they effectively make more money than player B with a 6M salary (also in Florida)?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Venn Diagram for people who bitch about the salary cap and people who don't understand how the salary cap works is a circle.

So your salary cap points break into:

1. "Rich teams should be able to spend more because they're rich"
2. "I don't understand how taxes work for pro athletes"
3. "I'm mad that Tampa did what dozens of teams have done in the last few years"
4. "Guaranteed contracts for players are bad because it can hurt my favorite team's ability to add good players"

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011

FIX this sh*t now.
Can't you just toss this in one of the other threads? Let's complain about a team going over the cap while saying there needs to be a luxury tax for teams wanting to go all in....

Reactions: Just Linda

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I generally agree with the goalies and their equipment being too big for the nets but I don't think it played a big factor in the final game being 1-0. The finals featured 2 HOF goaltenders playing awesome.

Reactions: Habsrule

Budz

Jan 28, 2013

It was a lazy guess - but I’m positive making 8 million in Texas or Florida is different than making 8 million in NY, Ontario or Quebec.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
The Venn Diagram for people who bitch about the salary cap and people who don't understand how the salary cap works is a circle.

3. "I'm mad that Tampa did what dozens of teams have done in the last few years"
4. "Guaranteed contracts for players are bad because it can hurt my favorite team's ability to add good players"

Guaranteed contracts should go away. An NHL player can sign a 8 year deal and completely mail it in if he wants to. That is impossible in the NFL, a superior league.

Budz

Jan 28, 2013
Can't you just toss this in one of the other threads? Let's complain about a team going over the cap while saying there needs to be a luxury tax for teams wanting to go all in....

I think you are smart enough understand the difference between being way over cap during playoffs and a luxury tax.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Watching the NBA and NHL playoffs side by side, there really is no comparison. Yeah, the NHL needs to tweak some things, but it’s on a pretty good trajectory.
thats because hockey is such a great sport. But the League and how it operates could do with some improvements.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It was a lazy guess - but I’m positive making 8 million in Texas or Florida is different than making 8 million in NY, Ontario or Quebec.

It's not a "lazy guess", it's a hilariously dishonest estimate you used to complain about a non-issue.

Guaranteed contracts should go away. An NHL player can sign a 8 year deal and completely mail it in if he wants to. That is impossible in the NFL, a superior league.

Yeah, good luck convincing the players to ever agree to this.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I generally agree with the goalies and their equipment being too big for the nets but I don't think it played a big factor in the final game being 1-0. The finals featured 2 HOF goaltenders playing awesome.
yeah Vasi stopped 18 shots what a heroic performance lol. It was a boring ass game. Tampa did what it did in game 7 vs the Islanders. Score once in the 2nd period and then turtle for 30 minutes. Entertainment factor in these playoffs was at an all-time low.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How do signing bonuses work with state/provincial taxes? If player A has a 5M signing bonus and 1M salary (and plays in Florida), will they effectively make more money than player B with a 6M salary (also in Florida)?
Yes, because the 6 million is divided up by where they're playing. The 5million bonus is a local work code for FL with no state tax. So the player would have 1 million in salary taxed from out of sate tax codes. However, players who earn a bonus in states with a tax percentage probably still preferrer a big signing bonus of money up front, regardless of it being taxed more.

None of this even begins to cover end of the year filling returns from a good accountant. I think fans make it a bigger deal than the players.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
The only one I want changed instantly is hockey called by it's rules. It's ok if you don't want to call plays, but then you have to make them legal to do. The mockery of the rule book every single game has gotten too far. Call by the book, players will adjust. If they won't, they won't be playing in the NHL soon because they're such a net negative in penalties.

Please.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016

Empty response there, only purpose is to be a smartass.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yes, because the 6 million is divided up by where they're playing. The 5million bonus is a local work code for FL with no state tax. So the player would have 1 million in salary taxed from out of sate tax codes. However, players who earn a bonus in states with a tax percentage probably still preferrer a big signing bonus of money up front, regardless of it being taxed more.

None of this even begins to cover end of the year filling returns from a good accountant. I think fans make it a bigger deal than the players.

Yeah, I was typing up a post about this exactly. I find it so strange that fans of rich teams, who are able to give out massive signing bonuses that would end up being taxed lower than normal contracts, never mention the signing bonus attribute.

Auston Matthews gets huge signing bonuses every year with using his Arizona address to determine taxes. His yearly salary is under $800k, he's getting the other $8-$12 million in signing bonuses that are completely taxed at the rate of his house in Arizona. Why is that never mentioned as an issue?

Empty response there, only purpose is to be a smartass.

Empty response to a bunch of empty complaints.

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Also I thought state taxes are an itemized deduction on your federal taxes. So even if you're paying more state tax you end up paying less in federal taxes.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Great sport, terribly mismanaged league. Lots of things need to change, both from a rules/officiating/governance perspective but also from a marketing perspective. Hockey players need to drop the "boring and canned responses" marketing classes. The only people who like that shit are die hard boomer fans, Kucherov was hilarious last night, give us more of that. And despite what Don Cherry wants you to think, wearing suits to a sports game isn't cool, especially when it's a AA tyke tournament in some town where the highest internet speed available is 30 mbps. The games already inaccessible enough for the majority of the population, don't need to alienate people beyond that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad