I think the NHL has long term problems...

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I would think that the rest of the ice hockey world and IIHF would be against making nets bigger. That is stupid idea.

Overall you don't change anything that isn't broken. Ice hockey is the greatest game on earth and you don't want it to be Basketball. I love the 5-on-5 game and I don't mind 1-0 games. I just think that the 4th line players are better than ever and the clubs are being coached better than ever. That makes the games more even and low-scoring.
Basketball and Soccer are more popular. The nets need to be big bigger. This is entertainment.

PROGFAN66

Feb 10, 2019
Increasing the height of the net would lead to a lot of pucks int he face...not just for goalies, but skaters, too. Increasing the width is a good idea.

Limiting icings would be awkward. Hard to implement.

Also changing the rink size would be very hard to do right now. Need to wait until you have a lot of new arenas set to be built. And even then, not all arenas now could be retrofitted to a different size.

The big thing is consistent officiating. Every game should be reffed the same way, from start to finish. From the first preseason game, to the last game of the Cup final.

I agree after reading your comment on increasing the height of the goal net would not be a good idea. I think limiting the icing rule 5 per period would be easy once you pass the limit call an automatic penalty and this rule may happen next.

However, we all know the NHL since 2004 has eliminated the two line pass rule, instituted the trapezoid rule, 3 0n 3 overtime hockey, shootouts, modifying the offside rule and shortening the neutral zone. So the NHL in a way is very different now.

Mind you this is my opinion and not everyone will agree with me. To me the NHL to me has not addressed the issues that the width of the rink and the width of the goal net is outdated because the facts the players are bigger and faster. In addition, the goalie in hockey is just to dominant in the end result of the game.

I noticed one thing the NHL is increasing more afternoon starts and this to expose the games more in Europe and Americans like afternoon games.

That being said the NHL has it's obvious unique qualities about the sport which they should market better and not worry about competing with the NFL, NBA and MLB.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->