Proposal: I think its time RE: Nyquist AND Tatar

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
These guys for whatever reason are not cutting it. Tatar can't hit the net to save his life and while I like Nyquist's game, I think its time to cut ties with him as well. We have plenty of small/speed players on this team (when healthy) so I think getting another Mantha type player would be beneficial. One that can win those board battles. Of course adding a defenseman is key here as well. Add in a pick with these 2 players and what would an idealistic return for them be?

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
Nyquist is 2nd on the team in points, I don't have too many issues with him, he's also one of the few people with a positive +/-. Tatar on the other hand, I don't know what's going on with him.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Nyquist is 2nd on the team in points, I don't have too many issues with him, he's also one of the few people with a positive +/-. Tatar on the other hand, I don't know what's going on with him.

Right, but I don't think we can get much with just Tatar.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014

He's dumber then a door knob. Power play dies when the puck touches his stick

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
No team is trading for both of them. I'm in favor of trading Tatar away if it means we resign Vanek, but I'd like to hang on to Nyquist.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
No team is trading for both of them. I'm in favor of trading Tatar away if it means we resign Vanek, but I'd like to hang on to Nyquist.

I probably worded it wrong, but I didn't mean for them to be in the same package. I was thinking Tatar to one team for a big bodied forward, and Nyquist and a pick for a defeseman.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
I probably worded it wrong, but I didn't mean for them to be in the same package. I was thinking Tatar to one team for a big bodied forward, and Nyquist and a pick for a defeseman.

Which big bodied forward are you thinking of? I can't think of any that would be realistically worth our while and available for Tatar. If he is moved I would guess it would be to say Chicago at the deadline. 50% retained for Pokka + 1st.

Same applies to Nyquist, which defenseman would be available? Guessing with expansion looming Minnesota could be a potential trade partner. Would you move Nyquist for say Dumba though? I just don't see any valuable PMD being moved for Nyquist.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Tell me what defenseman you think you could get for them.

Tell me what big bodied forward you think you could get for them.

Otherwise, we're just wasting our time here.

Also, people really need to understand the difference between selling high/low. If we were going to trade Tatar, the time was ~2 years ago like some of us said. Right now he's not returning you anything great. Maybe Nyquist could get you something decent, but people take a dump on every single defenseman that hit the trade block.

I've said it many times, it makes more sense to keep them than trade them right now. They will have a combined reasonable caphit, are still pretty young, and don't inhibit you from getting a high pick. Keep them through a quick re-build attempt and you have a couple good wingers already there on the other side of the re-build.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California

Also, people really need to understand the difference between selling high/low. If we were going to trade Tatar, the time was ~2 years ago like some of us said. Right now he's not returning you anything great. Maybe Nyquist could get you something decent, but people take a dump on every single defenseman that hit the trade block.

I've said it many times, it makes more sense to keep them than trade them right now. They will have a combined reasonable caphit, are still pretty young, and don't inhibit you from getting a high pick. Keep them through a quick re-build attempt and you have a couple good wingers already there on the other side of the re-build.
I honestly don't pay enough attention to the rest of the NHL to give you an accurate answer but I'll try.

Someone like Nick Bjugstad maybe?

How about Brodin or Spurgeon from the Wild???

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada

I 100% agree it's a poor time to trade Tatar, but we could potentially swap under-performers with an other team.

I'm thinking something like Tatar/Brodie.

I don't see that specific trade happening because (1) Burke and co. are about truculence, grit and big bodies, (2) Brodie is still worth more than Tatar anyway. Maybe working in Bertuzzi would engage them?

Either way, I think with his track record, Contract and free agent status Tatar has solid value in a move of this nature. As Hammettf mentioned Scandella could fit this mold. I disagree about the other names he mentioned though.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
Tatar probably could bring in Manson/Theodore from the Ducks. That's about it...maybe.

High production D in AHL = 2nd line Winger value wise? With the younger talent slowly creeping in, I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

***Edit: Teams will also want to look at the exp draft players before they move anyone. This could be a trade for after this season.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I 100% agree it's a poor time to trade Tatar, but we could potentially swap under-performers with an other team.

I don't see that specific trade happening because (1) Burke and co. are about truculence, grit and big bodies, (2) Brodie is still worth more than Tatar anyway.

Maybe working in Bertuzzi would engage them? Either way, I think with his track record, Contract and free agent status Tatar has solid value in a move of this nature. As Hammettf mentioned Scandella could fit this mold. I disagree about the other names he mentioned though.

If we had Brodie on our team, I wouldn't trade him for 8 Tatars. Brodie is amazing. Tatar is amazingly bad.

Should have traded Tatar in the offseason when he had some value

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
I think Tats still has time to turn it around this season. If he can, maybe he can rekindle some of the World Cup glow he had and increase his value.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
If we had Brodie on our team, I wouldn't trade him for 8 Tatars. Brodie is amazing. Tatar is amazingly bad.

Should have traded Tatar in the offseason when he had some value

Like I said, I don't see the specific trade happening (but feel free to ignore 50% of my post where I actually discuss that point :sarcasm: ). That said, Brodie has struggled big time this season and represents the type of move we should explore.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I don't see that specific trade happening because (1) Burke and co. are about truculence, grit and big bodies, (2) Brodie is still worth more than Tatar anyway. Maybe working in Bertuzzi would engage them?

Either way, I think with his track record, Contract and free agent status Tatar has solid value in a move of this nature. As Hammettf mentioned Scandella could fit this mold. I disagree about the other names he mentioned though.

I'd bet we would have to add a ton to land Brodie, unfortunately.

Tatar probably could bring in Manson/Theodore from the Ducks. That's about it...maybe.

High production D in AHL = 2nd line Winger value wise? With the younger talent slowly creeping in, I don't see why this would be a bad idea.

I would do Tatar for Theodore. I doubt Holland would. I'm also not sure what Anaheim thinks of Tatar.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I have no interest in selling low on these guys or simply moving them because they "just aren't cutting it" (like 80% of our team). Any deal for these two needs to be better thought out and better timed.

InGusWeTrust

hockey.tk
May 6, 2009
Michigan
hockey.tk
I would do Tatar for Theodore. I doubt Holland would. I'm also not sure what Anaheim thinks of Tatar.

Ha, probably not. I could see the Ducks getting Bieksa to waive, or buy him out and promoting Theodore next season. Cheaper, better etc...

However if they're looking to upgrade that top 6 winger position...it could be had I think. What do you think Tatar's next contract will be? I could see similar to Nyquist as theyve had similar production..however Nyquist is just a better player even when he isn't producing IMO.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
People need to lay off Nyquist. He IS cutting it.

As for Tatar, it would be dumb as hell to trade him now. Play hardball with him, sign to a cheap 2-3 year deal, and then hope he finds his game. And if he does, then you've got cheap talent to offer in a trade.

Huddy*

Aug 6, 2009
Bloomfield Hills, MI

Not sure many believe this but a contract year looming in his head might impede his results. Not every player can handle the stress of trying to impress more than what their capable of at times, especially when knowing they can earn more if doing so. Some can, some can't, its the nature of the mind. There is a fine line there and why we see some just dominate and create their fame while others fade away. Tatar is to hard on himself. He tries way to hard, you can see it in his game. He doesn't think when he has the puck, he is always one step ahead of himself, always has been. Now you throw in him having to do it during a contract year, his mistakes are doubling and becoming more noticeable. I feel for the guy, but if somehow they could do him a solid and trade him, it could be a win-win for both the Wings and him.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008

Then who are you trading to get assets to help with the rebuild?

If the Wings commit to a rebuild they'll need to deal some guys out who have value to get top prospects or quality picks.

Personally I think the Wings should commit to a rebuild.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Like I said, I don't see the specific trade happening (but feel free to ignore 50% of my post where I actually discuss that point :sarcasm: ). That said, Brodie has struggled big time this season and represents the type of move we should explore.

While I agree that this represents the type of move Wings should explore, I just don't see any team selling low on any legit NHL caliber Dmen, especially ones who already are/come close to being top pairing, no matter how much they've struggled so far this season.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Then who are you trading to get assets to help with the rebuild?

If the Wings commit to a rebuild they'll need to deal some guys out who have value to get top prospects or quality picks.

Personally I think the Wings should commit to a rebuild.

Holding your own picks and not signing vets should be enough, as long as you are drafting high.

If you want to add additional picks trade guys like Helm or Vanek at the deadline.

Hammettf2b

oldmanyellsatcloud.jpg
Jul 9, 2012
So California
Holding your own picks and not signing vets should be enough, as long as you are drafting high.

If you want to add additional picks trade guys like Helm or Vanek at the deadline.

The team is not bad enough to draft a top 10 pick. We have to get lucky with our picks (Larkin, Mantha) or its the same mediocre team we will be having. Trading guys now for needs is ideal imo.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The team is not bad enough to draft a top 10 pick. We have to get lucky with our picks (Larkin, Mantha) or its the same mediocre team we will be having. Trading guys now for needs is ideal imo.

Well if the season ended today we'd be drafting 10th. Trade Green and/or Vanek at the deadline and you could make it a sure thing if you wanted.

If we're not trying to be bad it makes even less sense to trade Nyquist and Tatar. Nyquist is the 2nd most productive forward on this team, and the return on Tatar would be crap right now.

We don't have the assets to trade for a quality defenseman without including Dylan Larkin, or we would have done so by now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad