I Still Say Deal Gets Done..

Status
Not open for further replies.

firstroundbust

lacks explosiveness
Mar 3, 2004
Parts Unknown
King Nothing said:
They will probably let us know that Bob Goodenow is getting the oil changed in is caddy.

"bad news is that the cap is off the table....the good news is that I saved a buttload by switching my car insurance to Geico"

caps

Feb 3, 2005
Southeastern VA
Scugs said:
The latest offer is now off the table, linkage is back on. We ARE playing NHL hockey in 2005/2006... Players have officially ****ed themselves over, BIG TIME.

Get ready for a much smaller cap that is linked, boys! :lol :lol

:lol:

caps

Feb 3, 2005
Southeastern VA
Unbiased Canadian said:
I know Bettman is "cancelling" the season as I type this, however I still don't believe that the season is done.

This is simply just another ploy from the League/owners side......they are just showing the NHLPA that they are serious.....the NHLPA will contact Gary and his bum buddies following the NHLPA press conference this afternoon.

They will have a deal done by Thursday night.

Just a hunch, but i still think it's do-able.

Unbiased Canadian

:lol not a chance in hell. i wish i could still remain optimistic like you, but bobbie will come out and blame everything on the nhl, just like gary did to the nhlpa. both sides suck ass and they have really damaged hockey and its image

ChiHawks468

Jan 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
IMO, the PA won't see another proposal above the 40MIL mark and linkage will be "on" the table from here on out. The PA's leverage just left the building in Elvis's pocket.

ResidentAlien*

I think the question about "If they came to you after this and they woudl take the 42.5" was a plant..you know that Bob will get asked the same question and will actually be the one to put the final nail in the coffin

Rhett4

Buffalo Selects Jack
Jul 9, 2002
Amerks #ROC
Digger12 said:
Probably something along the lines of:

-24% rollback will never again be offered by the NHLPA
-Acceptance of a cap is now off the table
-Gary Bettman is the antichrist. We have proof.

Seriously, I feel like puking right now.

Which means we are back to square one. They went from extreme positions to something moderate...and now they've retreated to their extreme trenches to dig in for the long haul. This is going to be a long war with a whole lot of casualties. When all is said and done, it looks like they will be bringing about 100 fans home.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Game_Misconduct said:
Wait a minute,

The players gave the owners what they wanted and the owners said, "no thanks."

Clearly, the owners NEVER intended to bargain in good faith and had the sole goal of breaking the union and starting over with replacement players and union guys willing to cross the picket lines next year.

The players are screwed, but the owners did the screwing.

No the players did not give the owners what they wanted.

Read the details of the last NHLPA - the numbers aren't nearly as close as has been talked about.

Yes the starting point ($49M) is only $6.5M away from the owners number - but read point #7 of Goodenow's letter:

7. Indexing of Tax Rates and Payroll Minimums & Maximums All dollar amounts would be in place for 2004-05 (pro-rated) and 2005-06. Dollar levels for tax rates, payroll minimums & maximums for subsequent years either constant or increased by % change in greater of either hockey related revenues or only the gate receipts and broadcasting segments of hockey related revenues from the 2005-06 base year.

The players want linkage after all - but only when it's in their best interest. They want all the upside of linkage, without any of the risks of declining revenue.

And best of all, they pick 2005-06 as their base year, when everyone knowns revenues will be down, coming off the lockout and shortened season. It's not a bad guess that revenues next year may be down 10-20%. Over the course of the 6-yr deal, it would not be unreasonable to see revenues grow 20-30% from their 2005-06 lows, so that $49M cap is really a 63.7M cap by year 6 (not including the 10% exceptions - $70M+) - over %50 greater than the last offer.

On top of that, they get to pick the most advantageous deninition of revenue growth - either all revenue or just gate & broadcasting, whichever works out better for them.

Quote:
NEW CBA DEAL POINTS

1. Term - 6 full seasons (through 9-15-11).

2. CBA System Incorporation of NHLPA December 9, 2004 proposal into the recently expired CBA, with indexing of financial provisions (per diems, etc.) at 2% per year, with the following additional changes requested by the NHL yesterday:

(a) Increased salary arbitration rights for Clubs -- to be agreed upon. Salary arbitration available after Player leaves Entry Level System.

(b) Cap on Exhibit 5 Individual B Performance Bonuses -- to be agreed upon.

(c) Replace NHLPA Revenue Sharing Plan with NHL Revenue Sharing Plan to share at least $88M in each year of the Agreement. Clubs may credit any payroll taxes paid against their revenue sharing contribution.

3. Team Payroll Limit - $49M in salary and bonuses

4. Minimum Team Payroll - $25M (each team can fall no more than 10% below only twice during term).

5. Minimum Player Salary - $300K (as per NHL Proposal)

6. Payroll Taxes - $40M - $43M (25%)
$43M - $46M (50%)
$46M - $49M (75%)
$49M - $53.9M (150%) only twice per team during 6 year term

7. Indexing of Tax Rates and Payroll Minimums & Maximums All dollar amounts would be in place for 2004-05 (pro-rated) and 2005-06. Dollar levels for tax rates, payroll minimums & maximums for subsequent years either constant or increased by % change in greater of either hockey related revenues or only the gate receipts and broadcasting segments of hockey related revenues from the 2005-06 base year.

8. 2005 Playoffs 55% of playoff revenues to be paid to Players for the 2005 playoffs.

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
Yep. This thing is dead.

If the NHLPA had some balls, and cared about its membership, it would spend it's press conference outlining a new proposal that goes further than ever before towards the owners. They would say that it is up to the league to take or leave it now, and that it serves as an official proposal. When the league ignores it, or says "too little, too late", at least the NHLPA won't be the ones wearing egg on their face all summer. They will be the side that made an amazing attempt to compromise and were ignored. It will also carry a lot of weight when the league tries to bring replacements aboard.

We know, though, that Bob, and maybe even Laskin and Linden, will spend the whole time stroking their egos and portraying the league as being out to destroy them. That the league wants them all living on the streets with nothing to eat and so on.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
The luxury tax money spent by teams is credited towards there revenue sharing. This is not penalizing teams for being in the thresholds, but inviting them to spend within.

i.e. - Toronto, as determined by revenues from last season has to fork over $10m in revenue sharing for other teams to divide. (just a number to show how this works, the number is not factual in any way)

Here are their options

- Stay under the thresholds, ice a less competitive team, and pay their revenue sharing as usual

or

- Go well into the thresholds, ice a much more competitive team, and have the $8m in the luxury taxes paid essentially be written off as revenue sharing.
Thus $8m in taxes + $2m in revenue sharing = $10m needed for revenue sharing

This essentially is no luxury tax at all. Also it doesn't add anything else to the revenue sharing pot, and its not penalizing any of the big teams in the process. It will still create a gap between the high spending teams and the ones that don't have a free reign on money to throw around. All the teams that have to pay out revenue sharing will also be well within these thresholds, while the other teams caps will effectively be the numbers below the thresholds.

Luxury taxes cannot be credited towards revenue sharing.

SPARTAKUS*

Scugs said:
The latest offer is now off the table, linkage is back on. We ARE playing NHL hockey in 2005/2006... Players have officially ****ed themselves over, BIG TIME.

Get ready for a much smaller cap that is linked, boys! :lol :lol
That's right they blew it big time. The owners will win this fight no doubt.
:yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
kdb209 said:
No the players did not give the owners what they wanted.

Read the details of the last NHLPA - the numbers aren't nearly as close as has been talked about.

Yes the starting point ($49M) is only $6.5M away from the owners number - but read point #7 of Goodenow's letter:

The players want linkage after all - but only when it's in their best interest. They want all the upside of linkage, without any of the risks of declining revenue.

And best of all, they pick 2005-06 as their base year, when everyone knowns revenues will be down, coming off the lockout and shortened season. It's not a bad guess that revenues next year may be down 10-20%. Over the course of the 6-yr deal, it would not be unreasonable to see revenues grow 20-30% from their 2005-06 lows, so that $49M cap is really a 63.7M cap by year 6 (not including the 10% exceptions - $70M+) - over %50 greater than the last offer.

On top of that, they get to pick the most advantageous deninition of revenue growth - either all revenue or just gate & broadcasting, whichever works out better for them.

Point 7's a deal-breaker. Goodenow had to try to pull a fast one, didn't he.

Going from 2 to 1 is a decrease of 50%. Going from 1 back up to two is an increase of 100%.

Watts02

Oct 13, 2003
My Island
Visit site
Unbiased Canadian said:
I know Bettman is "cancelling" the season as I type this, however I still don't believe that the season is done.

This is simply just another ploy from the League/owners side......they are just showing the NHLPA that they are serious.....the NHLPA will contact Gary and his bum buddies following the NHLPA press conference this afternoon.

They will have a deal done by Thursday night.

Just a hunch, but i still think it's do-able.

Unbiased Canadian

Did you say the same thing to your girlfriend when she said" we are done, I don't Love you"?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Can anyone in Detroit confirm this?

Supposedly Steve Yzerman was on Detroit radio a few minutes ago and said the following:

-Still thinks a deal can be done, let it die down for a couple days and see what happens

-Was surprised to read on the Internet that the union had offered a cap.

You know what? I think my wife must've slipped some roofies into my coffee again, because this day is making zero sense to me. Everything's just ****ed up. :dunce:

VAN-HAB

Vancouver Habitant
Sep 3, 2003
West Kelowna
Digger12 said:
Supposedly Steve Yzerman was on Detroit radio a few minutes ago and said the following:

-Still thinks a deal can be done, let it die down for a couple days and see what happens

-Was surprised to read on the Internet that the union had offered a cap.

You know what? I think my wife must've slipped some roofies into my coffee again, because this day is making zero sense to me. Everything's just ****ed up. :dunce:
Yes it has been confirmed here twice.

tuckerdomi

Dec 4, 2004
Ontario
Unbiased Canadian said:
I'm sorry, I know I've got the blindfold over my eyes, but my gut still tells me it's not over.

Your Crazy man, its done, see yaah in September hopefully. I thought we would be back for sure.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
If the union demands a vote on the final league proposal, which they very well might, and votes to accept it before the weekend, there will be a season.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Game_Misconduct said:
Wait a minute,

The players gave the owners what they wanted and the owners said, "no thanks."

Clearly, the owners NEVER intended to bargain in good faith and had the sole goal of breaking the union and starting over with replacement players and union guys willing to cross the picket lines next year.

The players are screwed, but the owners did the screwing.
The players offered a cap almost 20 million higher than the owners wants with no linkage to boot.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
I have to believe that a deal gets done after that horrible joke of a Press Conference that Goodenow conducted. If the players don't realize that the train they are on is being conducted by a lunatic, then they themselves are either lunatics or completely out of touch with reality.

If they force Goodenow to take the offer on the table or kick him out and appoint someone else who will take the offer, then they'll have salaries close to what they had before the CBA expired. If they let this drag on until September or whenever they realize what is actually happening, they will be paid whatever the NHL dictates.

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
Captain Conservative said:
I have to believe that a deal gets done after that horrible joke of a Press Conference that Goodenow conducted. If the players don't realize that the train they are on is being conducted by a lunatic, then they themselves are either lunatics or completely out of touch with reality.

If they force Goodenow to take the offer on the table or kick him out and appoint someone else who will take the offer, then they'll have salaries close to what they had before the CBA expired. If they let this drag on until September or whenever they realize what is actually happening, they will be paid whatever the NHL dictates.

If you were a player and caught that arrogant defeated lunatic's act, you'd have to be wondering when you'll EVER draw an NHL paycheck again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad