I May Be In The Minority . . . But I Believe That Kaapo Kakko Could Be Selected 1st Overall in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Every year there is a clear number 1, and then all of a sudden someone "closes in" on them. It's all for hype for the draft. Hughes is still the clear #1.

That's 1000% happens each and every draft buuuuuuuuut it never really happens this early.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Can you tell a weakness in Kakkos game?
There's really not a major weakness to his game and he can be beast with the puck against men already at 17y.

And for those saying this is Matthews vs Laine 2.0 this is nothing like it.

But... it is. Not the same style for each player obviously, but the level of production and the center vs winger aspect makes it a very good comparison. The difference is that the '19 finnish prospect is the one with a complete game and the American one is one-dimensional. So it's closer than Matthews/Laine but not as much as you suppose.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I guess this wall of text didn’t get enough traction on the Prospects forum? Misleading title too. It’s a small handful of sources that are being stretched to serve an agenda.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
But... it is. Not the same style for each player obviously, but the level of production and the center vs winger aspect makes it a very good comparison. The difference is that the '19 finnish prospect is the one with a complete game and the American one is one-dimensional. So it's closer than Matthews/Laine but not as much as you suppose.

Matthews was dominating a mens league and is much bigger than Hughes.

Kakko doesn't have Laines shot but is more versatile and doesn't have a major weakness to his game.

I'm a bit leery of hyped Finns.

Mikael Granlund was supposed to be the Finnish Gretzky.

Missed the last 5 years?

Erikfromfin

May 18, 2013
10 out of 10 scouts had Hughes as number 1 in Bobs ranking and that was done couple weeks into the season. I dont think anything drastic changes have occured since so Hughes should be clear number 1 atm.

Reactions: Sasso09

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Couturier was the consensus #1 until November or so in his year.

These things do change as the year progresses.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The past is what gives me caution when guys pop up out of nowhere.

Again, not like Granlund

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"out of nowhere", and yes Laine was hyped as hell, and you should really try to study Finns development results lately.

Barkov, Rantanen, Laine, Aho, Heiskanen, oh but Granlund 10 years ago!!!!!

Reactions: Dr Acula and LAINEC

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

"out of nowhere", and yes Laine was hyped as hell, and you should really try to study Finns development results lately.

Barkov, Rantanen, Laine, Aho, Heiskanen, oh but Granlund 10 years ago!!!!!

I'm not sure why this is bothering you so much.

If you think he's better than Jack Hughes fine. I'll need more evidence than a handful of games.

Finns love their guys so I do question their objectivity when it comes to their evaluation.

As a Canadian, I have no horse in this race.

Reactions: BAM and BM14

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I'm not sure why this is bothering you so much.

If you think he's better than Jack Hughes fine. I'll need more evidence than a handful of games.

Finns love their guys so I do question their objectivity when it comes to their evaluation.

As a Canadian, I have no horse in this race.

I rather see Finns go to a good team than 1st overall, but your comments are so out of date. Year after year they are now producing elite/franchise talent.

And Kakko is nothing like Granlund as well.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Its true that most of these times when "the challenger arises from the ashes" is in reality just for the hype.

This time it might not be so, though. After seeing Kakko play couple times this year, Im sold. But it is early and young kids are hard to predict. Lots of hockey to be played out before the draft.

Its not Matthews vs Laine though. Talking about D+0 year, Hughes isnt as good as Matthews was and Kakko has started off big time.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Granlund had a lot of hype because he was the first big finnish prospect in a looooong time and he got a lot more hype after the draft with his amazing WC in 2011. Kakko's pre-draft hype will easily surpass Granlund's though.

Well, we have a ways to go yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad