I May Be In The Minority . . . But I Believe That Kaapo Kakko Could Be Selected 1st Overall in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Cactus

Gud Pro
Apr 9, 2018
Toronto
This happens every year where the second guy makes a ‘push’ for first overall. I feel like it’s just a way to make the draft more interesting. Even in mcdavids draft they were saying Eichel had a chance of going first. Maybe it’s actually true this year but I can say I’m surprised by that report at all.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
Whatever team drafts Hughes first overall, get ready for a summer full of Kakko > Hughes posts by Finns, if the Matthews and Laine draft was any indication.

Reactions: Oneiro

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Need more time before I can make my own personal assessment

In general I’m not usually a fan of random European players suddenly jumping past guys who have been projected to be top picks for a while now.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Kakko wants to join Team Finland...I mean the Montreal Canadiens!

Kotkaniemi
Lekhonen
Armia
Ikonen
Ylonen
Niemi

Reactions: LAINEC

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Absolutely, awesome to see. I see Kakko quite close to Laine/Barkov level. If he can change to center, I think he has a chance to go first overall. If he is a winger, he will go 2nd.

If he can change to center? I keep seeing this. Is he going to transition to center this year? Is that how he will be drafted-as a center?

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
If he can change to center? I keep seeing this. Is he going to transition to center this year? Is that how he will be drafted-as a center?

There was some promising statements about him changing to center by his coach (??). Dont know if he has/ is about to become a center tho.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He has the skills for it. I hope so, if he doesn't this year I think his NHL team may want to try it. I really believe he will be a center in NHL level.

Reactions: LAINEC

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Or that prospects playing in North America get way more exposure there..

The WJC is gonna be exciting, really eager to see Kakko in small rink. His game should fit even better there.
Wouldnt that be the same thing, just an actual reason for why European prospects are 'random' to some?

Reactions: Kuola and Gsus

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Makes sense. Hughes's season has been slow while Kakko's been amazing.

By the way, the "they play vs NCAA teams" reasoning isn't solid because Liiga >>> NCAA regardless. Kids are kids, 20 or 22.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
For Buffalo Kappo is the type of player that would be the better fit of the two, Hughes is going but he's going to be frustrating to watch as well.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
Kakko has the best overall attributes of all Aho, Barkov, Laine and Puljujärvi. People are stupid if they think this hype is all Finnish bias.

Reactions: Gsus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad