I May Be In The Minority . . . But I Believe That Kaapo Kakko Could Be Selected 1st Overall in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Kakko scored a goal and an assist tonight, his second and third points of the season, in his second Liiga game of 2018-19.

That's 3 points in 2 games.

If one counts his Champions League games last week, he has 5 points in his last 4 professional games with TPS.

I'm afraid to overhype him like i did with Pulju but he's starting to feel like a tier above that Rantanen/Aho level of prospect and closing in to Laine/Barkov territory

Reactions: Koijari

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I'm afraid to overhype him like i did with Pulju but he's starting to feel like a tier above that Rantanen/Aho level of prospect and closing in to Laine/Barkov territory
Puljujarvi had electric moments sprinkled in between long periods of ineffectiveness. I am always wary of players who are dangerous off the rush at lower levels but lack a strong east-west component. To be able to create east-west offense and forecheck effectively takes a player with higher hockey IQ than a player who relies mostly on speed and a big shot. Puljujarvi is fast and lanky with a big shot. When the puck is in the offensive zone, he is a step slow to get to where he needs to be.

One could have identified Laine as a smarter player than Puljujarvi in Liiga because although he had major agility issues, Laine created offense as a result of smart forechecking, positioning, and puck movement in the offensive zone. I remember the Karpat-Tappara semifinals when Puljujarvi just disappeared; he scored, but did not carry the attack or control possession. Laine was the far more noticeable player on a shift to shift basis in spite of his tendency to lumber around.

Kakko is a brilliant east-west player with great puck protection instincts and excellent anticipation of where the puck will be. He is a more complete player than Laine. Laine has impeccable shooting abilities, but at the NHL level isn't quick or agile enough to contribute effectively on the forecheck. Kakko covers the ice very well, has great creativity, and generates chances on a consistent basis. He can put the puck on a string at lower levels, and he is starting to do that in Liiga as well. His edge work is terrific, and he has great control of the puck. His passes are crisp, his stick-handling is among the best of this year's draft class, and he makes smart decisions.

I look for hockey IQ, otherwise known as hockey intuition, above all else: how effectively can one intercept pucks; how quickly can they get to a loose puck to put pressure on the opposition; what kinds of plays do they make when they have the puck; is the player in a smart position when their teammate has the puck; do they anticipate well and, in turn, dominate possession with intelligent positioning? Skill set comes second to hockey IQ because IQ determines success. Kakko has a high degree of both.

I would put him in that top tier of Finnish prospects. I think he'll be in the NHL next season.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
A lot better than Puljujärvi, as Puljujärvi was dumb while Kakko is smart. Kakko also is more responsible and a better all-around player. Kakko's hands are infinitely better as well. And he's more physical, even if his frame isn't as good for now.
I've never seen Finnish prospect to be as ready for NHL as Kakko except maybe Barkov. Laine made it because he has an amazing shot, but his skating needed work.
Barkov's skating needed work also. Laine was more NHL-ready than Barkov, in all honesty. And yes, Kakko's overall level of play should have him be more NHL-ready than Laine. But I don't think he'll be able to accomplish as much as early, simply due to Laine's shot. And I think Laine's hockey IQ was better than Kakko's, but that could change. Kakko's still isn't bad, by any means. Kakko probably is more "coachable", so to speak. Easier to fit into a system.

Reactions: FinPanda

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
It really depends on who is drafting 1st next summer. Some of the teams that might pick 1st are Detroit, Montreal, Colorado (from Ottawa), Canucks, Buffalo, and for example Rangers. Out of these teams probably Montreal, Canucks, Colorado and Buffalo could go for Kakko because they already have great players for their 1C spots.

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
It really depends on who is drafting 1st next summer. Some of the teams that might pick 1st are Detroit, Montreal, Colorado (from Ottawa), Canucks, Buffalo, and for example Rangers. Out of these teams probably Montreal, Canucks, Colorado and Buffalo could go for Kakko because they already have great players for their 1C spots.
Who is 1c for Montréal ?

Reactions: Lemonlimey

vivalavili

Jan 8, 2016
Helsinki
Who is 1c for Montréal ?
They don't have one right now, but they're still stacked on C prospects. Suzuki and Kotkaniemi could both end up being a great 1a/1b options for the Habs and they really don't need another C prospect. In my opinion Kakko just fits better for the Habs when you compare their needs. Their future C depth at the moment is Drouin - Suzuki - Kotka (in any given order) and that (in my opinion again) is good enough if they are able to acquire good enough wingers to support them as well.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Finland just stop with these top prospects, i want the games against you to be exiting even in the future. (Worried Swede).

You can want whatever you want.
But we ( Finns) wanna pay back for you guys ( Swedes) 2006 Olympic Gold medal game from Torino.
That's why i hope NHL will release their players to 2022 winter Olympics in Beijing.

PS Kaapo Kakko is drawing early comparisons to Peter Forsberg
And if he can be even half of that what Foppa was look out Sweden.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lemonlimey

IceBjoern

Feb 24, 2010
Stockholm
But we ( Finns) wanna pay back for you guys ( Swedes) 2006 Olympic Gold medal game from Torino.
That's why i hope NHL will release their players to 2022 winter Olympics in Beijing.

PS Kaapo Kakko is getting compared to Peter Forsberg
By 2022 Sweden will have 6 defensemen with a Norris trophy, we’ll be fine.. :sarcasm:

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017

PS Kaapo Kakko is drawing early comparisons to Peter Forsberg
Ok scaring me with a finnish foppa thats taking it to faar

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Ok scaring me with a finnish foppa thats taking it to faar

Don't shit in your pants too early we can't know yet who will be boom and who bust from 2019 draft.
Also there's 3,5 yrs wait before next winter Olympic games and if Gary Bettman decides once again listen NHL owners NHL players aren't coming to Beijing in February 2022.

What comes Nordic rival between us ( Finland) and you ( Sweden) the first real competition is 26th December in Victoria Canada when puck drops in U20 WJC's.

I don't know Swede's senior national teams depth in young players.
But Sweden needs to find at least one preferable two good snipers to match that goal-scoring threat what Laine and Tolvanen brings to Finland. Also Sweden needs quality centers Finland has already Barkov, Borgström, Kotkaniemi then we have players who can play C and W like Sebastian Aho who can turn into center in Finnish national team.

This upcoming draft in June 2019 is predicted to be good or very good for Finland.
Kakko and Honka ( Julius's brother Anttoni) are getting big roles in their liiga teams.

Then there's guys like Patrik Puistola ( son of former HV71 dman Pasi Puistola) and Wiljami Myllylä ( son of former Finnish cross-country skier Mika Myllylä) who can get drafted somewhere in rounds 2 to 7.

Finland is doing well to producing quality NHL draft prospects ( was about a time)
But how's Sweden does Sweden have enough talent to win U18 WJC's in Örnsköldsvik and Umeå next April.

Finland will be defending world champion in that tournament.
So i wish Sweden brings their best players in that tourney if you wanna beat us in elimination or medal game.

Last edited:

UNITEDSTATESOFHOCKEY

Jan 5, 2018
Kakko is amazing player. WJC will be important if he wants to overtake Hughes. But it is not stretch to take Kakko first.

With the number of views teams will likely have on a lot of these players throughout the year, I don't see how a 10 day, 5 game tournament where 2-3 of the games are used for stat padding, effects anything all that much in an NHL teams minds....

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
With the number of views teams will likely have on a lot of these players throughout the year, I don't see how a 10 day, 5 game tournament where 2-3 of the games are used for stat padding, effects anything all that much in an NHL teams minds....
Yes, but then again Kotkaniemi went 3rd after a great performance in U18 WJC. He was not even in the top 10 before that tourny. So yes, they do matter. A lot.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
#MKGA!!

(Make Kakko Great Again)

TPS meets JYP in about 5,5 hours and that means it's almost Kaapo-time!

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I guess it wasn't close with Toronto having the pick since they didn't have #1 center but maybe other teams with great center depth already would have looked the other way since it's not often you get a chance to draft a potential best goalscorer of the next decade.

But let's not turn this into Laine and Matthews discussion. :thumbu:

Usually teams picking 1st overall don't have great center depth. This year is no exception: Detroit, Montreal, NYI, even Colorado via Ottawas pick don't have great center depth. None will pass on Hughes a center for a winger at number 1.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Usually teams picking 1st overall don't have great center depth. This year is no exception: Detroit, Montreal, NYI, even Colorado via Ottawas pick don't have great center depth. None will pass on Hughes a center for a winger at number 1.

I'd say that those teams generally have depth on center position but it's another question if those teams have above average/elite players on center position.

JazRubik

Oct 5, 2018
Dude, if you knew anything about Montreal's prospects in the last 2-3 years you'd know they have plenty of center depth. Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Evans, Ikonen, Vejdemo are our top prospects for now but obviously they have Danault and Peca on the team who would be an amazing 3rd/4rth line center on any team. Hudon is a center but plays wing for now becase of Plekanec who will be gone after this season to make room for the young guys. Domi and Drouin will shift back to the wing which is their natural position. Mtl will have tons of great wingers but no one exceptional unless Drouin gets back to his Tampa form, Lehkonen/Gallagher manages to hit 30 goals or more. But then again they don't have anyone that can be a lethal sniper like Laine. But if they get Kakko they're all set. Plus Kotkaniemi and Kakko already have great chemistry together so Bergevin might want to reunite them and have an insane Finnish First line (Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Kakko).

Then you added NYI which is understandable now that Tavares left for Toronto. Detroit aside from Larkin and Athanasiou don't have anything spectacular and I don't know about their prospects besides Zadina who's a winger nut they have Veleno and Ryan O'reilly (Not the one buffalo but theyre not related).

Colorado has Mackinnon, Jost, Compfer and Soderberg. Theyre just fine but adding Jack Hughes in there wouldn't hurt obviously.

Reactions: LAINEC

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Dude, if you knew anything about Montreal's prospects in the last 2-3 years you'd know they have plenty of center depth. Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Poehling, Evans, Ikonen, Vejdemo are our top prospects for now but obviously they have Danault and Peca on the team who would be an amazing 3rd/4rth line center on any team. Hudon is a center but plays wing for now becase of Plekanec who will be gone after this season to make room for the young guys. Domi and Drouin will shift back to the wing which is their natural position. Mtl will have tons of great wingers but no one exceptional unless Drouin gets back to his Tampa form, Lehkonen/Gallagher manages to hit 30 goals or more. But then again they don't have anyone that can be a lethal sniper like Laine. But if they get Kakko they're all set. Plus Kotkaniemi and Kakko already have great chemistry together so Bergevin might want to reunite them and have an insane Finnish First line (Lehkonen-Kotkaniemi-Kakko).

Then you added NYI which is understandable now that Tavares left for Toronto. Detroit aside from Larkin and Athanasiou don't have anything spectacular and I don't know about their prospects besides Zadina who's a winger nut they have Veleno and Ryan O'reilly (Not the one buffalo but theyre not related).

Colorado has Mackinnon, Jost, Compfer and Soderberg. Theyre just fine but adding Jack Hughes in there wouldn't hurt obviously.

Tell you what Montreal can go ahead and take Kakko and Detroit will "settle" for Hughes.

Reactions: Christien
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad