I May Be In The Minority . . . But I Believe That Kaapo Kakko Could Be Selected 1st Overall in 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
What stopped Caps from drafting Malkin over Ovechkin if they knew they'd be losing on #1 center?

I don't see teams really having problems with turning down on #1 center if they feel like they will fill their biggest need and at the same get just as good player in return.
The cap has changed how teams approach and value things. When its close teams almost always go with the center over any other position. In the last 5 or so years, generally, the picks that have been considered reaches in the early 1st have been for centers. The only time at the very top of the draft a winger won out when it was close was Hall over Seguin.

Reactions: Hokinaittii

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
Reminds me of Matthews vs Laine. Kakko has size for his advantage.
Yes definitely so. And what it could really lead into is that his size and skills might after all make him a surprise 1st pick. And anyway Kakko has been occasionally even playing as a center, which is such an overvalued position in North American hockey, so Kakko’s value might even rise this season, if he gets to play clearly more as a center.

I at least wouldn’t count on it that Hughes will even be a center at the NHL level. Well, he might if he still grows a bit, but if he stays quite small, he will most likely be more effective as a winger in the NHL, even how much he has been a center so far. Those whom doubt this, just look at how few under 5’11 tall star centers there has been in the NHL. Not many besides Crosby. And Hughes is far away from the strength level that Crosby had when he was the age that Hughes is now, so Hughes has very much of catching up to do to compensate how much he loses to Crosby in strength. And I’m not sure if he is even at the level of skill that Crosby was at his age.

Don’t take me wrong though, as Hughes is an excellent player with his amazing skating and his top class hands. I’m just not convinced with his small size and a bit lacking defensive play to see him as an NHL top class center. What I can much easier see in him is a real elite winger in pretty much the style of Patrick Kane. And that would be an absolutely wonderful player if Hughes becomes something like that.

Last edited:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Certainly hope so.

I just really don't think there's any chance of it happening. It'd take a very disappointing season for Hughes, and a PPG season for Kakko.

Last edited:
Reactions: jj cale

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
"For a while, it seemed that Jack Hughes would be a similarly advanced player whose status as his year's first-overall pick would be unchallenged."

What's changed? I don't see very much traction that Hughes is being challenged. I appreciate the work put into this, but not a fan of some of the arguments. For instance, you say that Hughes seeks to avoid contact but isn't more appropriate to say he's elusive and is very hard to hit?
I prefer players who can overwhelm the opposition with at least some degree of strength and out-muscle them in one-on-one situations. Hughes does not possess that ability. Yes, he can be elusive, but he does not always succeed in one-on-one situations either; at the NHL level, even Connor McDavid, who could elude players without ever being touched at lower levels, must push through obstacles frequently to reach his destination. At the NHL level, defensive positioning is so much more precise than at the junior level; defenders don't often give the puck carrier much space.

I don't know if Hughes will ever be able to develop the strength to beat defenders with a combination of force and finesse. He has a small frame, and his brother's height is evidence that he might not grow too much more either.

He may be a great skater, but I also disagree with the opinion that he is a top-level skater in the NHL. Connor McDavid has the best acceleration in the NHL and excellent top speed. Jack's own brother Quinn skates better than he does, with a more explosive first step and much smoother edgework. Jack has small, quick bursts and great puck control while he is moving, but I don't think his skating is in the same category as the most elite skaters in the NHL.
Patrick Kane 2.0 but plays Center > Kakko. Sorry.

You're on the Kakko hype train and you're blindly ignoring why Hughes has been the consensus #1 since before Matthews was drafted. Hughes will go #1 again, just accept it and move on. I'm sure Kakko will be a fine player.
I see some people call Jack Hughes the next Patrick Kane, but I do not agree with this notion. Kane is an excellent shooter with a powerful one-timer and tremendous wrist shot. Kane is a top-notch goal scorer. Hughes' shooting skills are average. Kane is, frankly, more mobile a skater than Hughes, with better edge work. Hughes is an agile skater, but not on that same elite level. Hughes has little bursts of speed to help bring him around defenders, but he doesn't have the effortless acceleration or sustained use of his edges to zip around the offensive zone the way that Kane does. He also doesn't hound the puck the way that Kane does, instead opting to distribute it at a much more frequent rate. Kane loves to hold on and make things happen independently.

Some have compared Hughes to McDavid. I think they play similar east-west games, frankly. However, McDavid has so many more tools than Hughes. If you were to take away some of the acceleration and top speed -- thus neutering his north-south game--, make McDavid three inches and thirty pounds smaller, and also take a little bit of zip off of his shot, you might get something similar to Jack.

I'm not the only one to observe this:
He's not as fast but they have very similar skillsets. McDavids shot might have been a bit better. I feel like this kid is going to rack up a tonne of assists in the NHL though. The way he see's the ice, uses his edgework and stickhandling to open up space and then finds guys with pinpoint accuracy. It's amazing.
I think both have muffin of shots, McDavid's is better, but even his is quite awful for the NHL. Both of them tend to score goals using this agility and speed to open up goalers. McDavid straight line speed won't be matched, perhaps ever, however Hughes due to his smaller frame makes his agility and edge work better than Connor's. So Jack is definitely shiftier and that is quite a feat considering how good McDavid is.
McDavid is better defensively than Jack Hughes and has a more much complete skill set.

Hype from three years before one's draft year is really irrelevant because players all develop at different rates compared to one another.

Last edited:
Reactions: BleedWell

AveryStar4Eva

Aug 28, 2014
I’m not as gung-ho about centre vs winger, I think you just have to take the best player possible. In this situation I think it’s still Hughes. He might be a little on the small side, but in today’s NHL speed matters more than size. We still have a year ahead of us so anything can happen, but as of right now it seems to be a sizeable gap.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
I really think you are underrating Hughes' skills and skating ability.
I've watched quite a few of Hughes and Kakko's performances, and from what I've seen I don't think much separates their stick handling abilities; the marginal difference to me does not outweigh the much more complete skill set that Kakko offers. In terms of skating, Hughes is an agile skater, but he is not powerful nor would his skating belong in the top-tier of the NHL. Kakko provides such a mature, well-rounded, dynamic offensive game with great playmaking elements, puck protection elements, and forechecking elements.

Like Hughes, Kakko can create chances in close quarters and flex his creativity to generate chances from out of nowhere. His defensive game is better, his shot is much better, and he plays a more powerful game.

A good season in Liiga is all that I believe is necessary for Kakko to convince stat watchers. Based on his role with TPS Turku right out of the gate this season, he is poised to have a standout year.

The NHL team I support drafted Quinn Hughes. The 2019 NHL Draft will be hosted in my city. There will be pressure for the Canucks to select Jack if they are in a situation to select him. It seems like a storybook scenario. I am not Finnish, so I have no additional interest in Finnish prospects than those from other nations. In spite of all this, from all of my personal viewings, I can't help but feel that Kaapo Kakko would be the better selection if my team had the opportunity to select either player.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
It'll take a few league games for non-Euro fans to get who/what is being talked about here, some have barely seen him. Although it's not exactly expected, but it would turn out really interesting if Kakko went on a tear straight of the gates. 17 year olds don't usually start their seasons from a first line, especially in one of the top teams (even if TPS has been kind of crappish during the pre-season).

Luckily we only have 3 more days until the show begins.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
It'll take a few league games for non-Euro fans to get who/what is being talked about here, some have barely seen him. Although it's not exactly expected, but it would turn out really interesting if Kakko went on a tear straight of the gates. 17 year olds don't usually start their seasons from a first line, especially in one of the top teams (even if TPS has been kind of crappish during the pre-season).

Luckily we only have 3 more days until the show begins.
It will take fanatic finns 1000 years to understand the worth of a 1C

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013

And you believe repeating the same sentence will somehow sway people's opinions? It may work in the media, but then again those guys are professionals. Please add some contextual value the next time if you want a conversation.

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
For the record, there has been some debate as to the suitability of Jack Hughes as an NHL center.

The type of game that Hughes plays -- quick off the rush, with puck transitional skills through the neutral zone, a finesse-based, offense-first mentality and a lack of strength-based qualities -- is much more of a playmaking winger's game than that of a high-end center. Hughes is also very small for a first-line center; centers who are 5'10'' and shorter tend to compensate for their height with a heavy, strong frame. Height is less important than weight, but height is a factor along with frame type in determining the amount of weight that a player can carry before heaviness becomes detrimental. Hughes is short with a small frame -- rare for a successful NHL center. The fact that he also isn't very good defensively suggests that he might end up as a winger in the NHL.

On the other hand, we have a small sample size of Kakko's suitability as a center, but Team Finland tried him successfully at center at the World Junior Summer Showcase. His complete game could make him a potential candidate to try at center in the future. Craig Button was convinced enough to mention in his latest Craig's List publication that Kakko can play either wing or center and possesses versatility as a forward. I feel that Craig doesn't view these players enough to assess all of them with great confidence, but he definitely saw Kakko at the Summer Showcase.

The first player on my list who is certain to be a top-line center is Alex Turcotte; he is at #3 on my list. He is a 6'2'', 180 lbs playmaker with a big frame that can carry more weight. He is an agile, powerful skater with excellent stick handling abilities, great hockey IQ, a tenacious forechecking game, and reliable defensive abilities.

Last edited:

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
And you believe repeating the same sentence will somehow sway people's opinions? It may work in the media, but then again those guys are professionals. Please add some contextual value the next time if you want a conversation.
Your own arguments are "oh, they just havent seen him yet", so not really worth answering to with great effort

For the record, there has been some debate as to the suitability of Jack Hughes as an NHL center.

The type of game that Hughes plays -- quick off the rush, with puck transitional skills through the neutral zone, a finesse-based, offense-first mentality and a lack of strength-based qualities -- is much more of a playmaking winger's game than that of a high-end center. Hughes is also very small for a first-line center; centers who are 5'10'' and shorter tend to compensate for their height with a heavy, strong frame. Height is less important than weight, but height is a factor along with frame type in determining the amount of weight that a player can carry before heaviness becomes detrimental. Hughes is short with a small frame -- rare for a successful NHL center. The fact that he also isn't very good defensively suggests that he might end up as a winger in the NHL.

On the other hand, we have a small sample size of Kakko's suitability as a center, but Team Finland tried him successfully at center at the World Junior Summer Showcase. His complete game could make him a potential candidate to try at center in the future. Craig Button was convinced enough to mention in his latest Craig's List publication that Kakko can play either wing or center and possesses versatility as a forward. I feel that Craig doesn't view these players enough to assess all of them with great confidence, but he definitely saw Kakko at the Summer Showcase.

The first player on my list who is certain to be a top-line center is Alex Turcotte; he is at #3 on my list. He is a 6'2'', 180 lbs playmaker with a big frame that can carry more weight. He is an agile, powerful skater with excellent stick handling abilities, great hockey IQ, a tenacious forechecking game, and reliable defensive abilities.
If teams do not see him as capable to play C in the NHL, things could be different indeed.

Last edited:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Your own arguments are "oh, they just havent seen him yet", so not really worth answering to with great effort

If teams do not see him as capable to play C in the NHL, things could be different indeed.

Wait, so you missed the part where someone clearly admitted of not having really watched him? Let alone the fact that Kakko played in JrA last season, which even most Finns hockey fans don't follow, so why would one expect that North American people would? Yet it's not a worthy argument, erm I'm sorry, a fact?

Needless to say your breaching about the importance of center being kind of hallow in it's simplicity. Yeah, promising tall and/or heavy built two-way centers are indeed considered valuable assets, but just like the other posted already mentioned Hughes doesn't exactly fit the criteria and there's been plenty of talk about him maybe being better fit as a winger at pro/NHL level. For a long time poster such as yourself, one would figure being already on the map of such things, but I suppose that was too much to be expected.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Wait, so you missed the part where someone clearly admitted of not having really watched him? Let alone the fact that Kakko played in JrA last season, which even most Finns hockey fans don't follow, so why would one expect that North American people would? Yet it's not a worthy argument, erm I'm sorry, a fact?

Needless to say your breaching about the importance of center being kind of hallow in it's simplicity. Yeah, promising tall and/or heavy built two-way centers are indeed considered valuable assets, but just like the other posted already mentioned Hughes doesn't exactly fit the criteria and there's been plenty of talk about him maybe being better fit as a winger at pro/NHL level. For a long time poster such as yourself, one would figure being already on the map of such things, but I suppose that was too much to be expected.
I am not going to argue with you. Takes too long and achieves nothing.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

Plenty of talk where? On this site? That means nothing. This is another Matthews/Laine scenario where Finns and some others are desperate to promote their guy as a contender for #1 when the chances of that happening are remote at best. Kakko isn't even the consensus #2 prospect in this draft.

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Plenty of talk where? On this site? That means nothing.

Of course it doesn't. Nonetheless some facts are facts and I don't think Hughes is growing much either. He may very well end up on the wing. Maybe he doesn't, and maybe neither one of the two ends up being first on the podium. We never know until it actually happens, now do we?

Reactions: Ippenator

Blade Paradigm

Oct 21, 2017
Plenty of talk where? On this site? That means nothing. This is another Matthews/Laine scenario where Finns and some others are desperate to promote their guy as a contender for #1 when the chances of that happening are remote at best. Kakko isn't even the consensus #2 prospect in this draft.
I have no interest here other than to see my team select the best player available. I have offered my perspective regarding these players, all of whom I have studied, and I am surprised to see some take offense to this discussion's primary argument without much substance to support their rebuttal.

What do you dislike about Kaapo Kakko's game, which players do you view ahead of him in this year's draft class, and for what qualitative reasons do you view them ahead of him?

I understand there may be cynicism based on previous forum experiences one may have had involving contrarian opinions, but this is not an argument for the sake of arguing. The case I have presented here is the result of my analysis of many players and serves only the purpose of detailing the conclusion of my research.

There is no "my guy" here. You will only find a list of 21 forwards who I have identified and graded based on my viewings of each.

My interest is to see my team select the best player, which is to say that if I thought Jack Hughes was the best player available, I would say so. I felt that way in the past, but that opinion has changed. Kakko only needs to continue what he is doing in Liiga to have the body of work to match the observational findings.

Last edited:

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Any team that loses 4 out of their top 5 scorers is going to struggle. That the rest of the league is not very good doesn’t change that.
You have obviously no clue what you are talking about. Every team in finnish Liiga looses their best players every year. TPS has probably the third or fourth best roster this year so saying they will struggle becouse they lost few players sends complitely wrong message for those who don't follow the Liiga, like your self apparently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad