"I love my hometown AHL team but hate their NHL affiliate" - anyone?

Jacksonbobson

Feb 2, 2009
Hamilton Bulldogs fan while being a fan of the NHL Ducks.

Not much of a hate for the habs just not a fan. Rarely is a problem as the Bulldogs may see the Ducks affiliate once every 4 years.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
What a bizarre and empty feeling it would be, having an NHL team you hate slowly pick off your AHL team's best players. I'd have a hard time getting over that.

McDrailers

Apr 13, 2013
Newfoundland
I'm from St. John's and not only cheer for the IceCaps, but am employed by them.
As a die hard Avs fan I don't really care for the Jets. They don't bother me much right now since they aren't exactly competitive but as they get better I can imagine me having a love hate relationship with some players as the divisional rivalry thickens between the Avs and Jets.

I may have already asked this, but what is your actual position with the Caps? I was thinking of applying to IceCaps alley actually

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
There was one year the Gillis had the Canucks associated with the Chicago Wolves at the peak of the Canucks-Hawks rivalry...

That must of been hard to swallow for Wolves/Hawks fans. One and done, iirc.

mongolman

Nov 12, 2007
Indianapolis
We are just getting an ECHL team in Indianapolis. First real hockey team in decades. Problem is, they are affiliated with the Blackhawks.... So no, I am not supporting the Blackhawks organization.

See you at the games.

Well we don't have an AHL team in Indy (not much of a hockey town). But we do have the AAA affiliate for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Now I hate all things about Pittsburgh, so I would never cheer for the Pirates. But I do support the Indians. That said, everytime I see the pirates play the phillies it's so hard not to cheer against them. I've seen so many pirates players come up through Indy. Basically I have a love/hate relationship with McCutchen.

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Yep. I enjoy the local Texas Stars (AHL) team out of the Cedar Park Center, but can't stand the Dallas Stars as a Ducks fan.

jbell886

Sep 6, 2009
I've watched the Marlies play in Hamilton a few times... Hamilton/Habs isn't exactly the best combination for a lot of folks, I imagine.

while there are habs fans here in hamilton they are definitely outnumbered by leafs fans. as for the bulldogs i go to 5-10 games a year because they are a hometown team

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
See you at the games.

Well we don't have an AHL team in Indy (not much of a hockey town). But we do have the AAA affiliate for the Pittsburgh Pirates. Now I hate all things about Pittsburgh, so I would never cheer for the Pirates. But I do support the Indians. That said, everytime I see the pirates play the phillies it's so hard not to cheer against them. I've seen so many pirates players come up through Indy. Basically I have a love/hate relationship with McCutchen.

Funny, I was just thinking about this with baseball. I'm a Pirates fan. We have the Pawtucket Red Sox here in RI and I can't stand the Boston Red Sox. I don't go to Pawtucket games except when they play Indy to see the Pirates prospects. I'm not a phony, even though Pawtucket is in the finals of the IL Triple A championship, I'm not going to root for them and act like a hometown bandwagonner. It always annoys me when Providence gets deep into a Calder Cup run and suddenly everyone shows up and proclaims themselves an expert, although obviously it's the Bruins so they will naturally be fans.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
There was one year the Gillis had the Canucks associated with the Chicago Wolves at the peak of the Canucks-Hawks rivalry...

That must of been hard to swallow for Wolves/Hawks fans. One and done, iirc.

It was two years and not many wolves fans are also Hawks fans thanks to $Bill.

And there is not a rivalry between the Canucks and the Hawks. They faced each other in the playoffs like 3 times and that does not a rivalry make. Hawks rivals are the Blues and the Red Wings for the most part.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Right here, but I take solace in the fact that the Wolves have a bit of a reputation as not being a very good development organization, so I've just taken it as a positive that Nucks and now Blues prospects might get slightly delayed in their development.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
... Hawks rivals are the Blues and the Red Wings for the most part.

Most Red Wing fans never saw the Blackhawks as a rival (thanks to the Dead Things era, followed by the Dollar Bill era). It was just the Blackhawks fans who held onto two decades of "Detroit Sucks!" that makes them think it's a rivalry.

aparch

Apr 3, 2008
Right here, but I take solace in the fact that the Wolves have a bit of a reputation as not being a very good development organization, so I've just taken it as a positive that Nucks and now Blues prospects might get slightly delayed in their development.

They do a fine job of developing NHL talent. Why take a look at players like Kari Lehtonen, Ryan Garbutt, Kevin Connauton, Antoine Roussel, Derek MacKenzie, Braydon Coburn...

... The Chicago Wolves do a GREAT job of developing NHL'ers for not their parent club... :D

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
It was two years and not many wolves fans are also Hawks fans thanks to $Bill.

And there is not a rivalry between the Canucks and the Hawks. They faced each other in the playoffs like 3 times and that does not a rivalry make. Hawks rivals are the Blues and the Red Wings for the most part.

Playing in playoffs 3 times in row is exactly what makes a rivalry...

Don't know what you were watching if you didn't think that Canuck and Hawk players didn't hate each other and took it up a notch every time they played for a couple yrs there up till the lockout...
For those couple yrs those games were among the best to watch league wide. Remember reading the ratings in Chicago for Canuck games at the time were breaking records.

But.. its done now. It was definitely one based on specific players.. too many have been chipped away and clubs have headed in different directions since the lockout.

JackalsKnuckles

Jun 18, 2007
ECHL fan for years. I automatically hate whoever is our AHL affiliate.

There is no reason to like a team that does nothing but steal your players. I don't care that we are "part of an organization" I just want to see the local team try to win, not develop players.

This is the main reason I am giving up my season tickets and no longer interested in attending affiliated hockey.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

There is no reason to like a team that does nothing but steal your players. I don't care that we are "part of an organization" I just want to see the local team try to win, not develop players.

This is the main reason I am giving up my season tickets and no longer interested in attending affiliated hockey.

That is hilarious! I mean.. Not your last statement.. But Your first was one that for some reason wasn't one I was expecting....

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006
Playing in playoffs 3 times in row is exactly what makes a rivalry...

Don't know what you were watching if you didn't think that Canuck and Hawk players didn't hate each other and took it up a notch every time they played for a couple yrs there up till the lockout...
For those couple yrs those games were among the best to watch league wide. Remember reading the ratings in Chicago for Canuck games at the time were breaking records.

But.. its done now. It was definitely one based on specific players.. too many have been chipped away and clubs have headed in different directions since the lockout.

No it doesn't. The only reason was luck of the draw. They also faced other teams three times in a row with same intensity in the playoffs.

Then you face them only twice in the regular season the next year with different players does not constitute a rivalry.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI

LOL. This is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Thanks man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad