"I love my hometown AHL team but hate their NHL affiliate" - anyone?

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Not me - thank god - but is there anyone out there who maybe lives in an AHL town, is a fan of their team, but absolutely hates their NHL affiliate? I was just thinking if I lived in a town far away from NHL action and without an AHL team, I'd simply pick my NHL team for other reasons than the geographical one. Let's say I become a Bruins fan. Then the Canadiens move their farm team to my town (the story can be anything else as long as it puts an AHL team in your town and their NHL affiliate is a team you hate). Obviously I watch as much hockey as I can and support my hometown team. And of course I want them to play well - but wait. I don't want Montréal to get a good team through the prospects we develop. Hmmmmm... Is that an actual problem for anyone or would it be? Or would you just be like "oh whatever, I support my team, the NHL is a whole different story"? Or would you maybe even start supporting the team that you actually hate?

I don't really know what I'd do myself to be honest.

I just realized, what do people from Adironack do for example? Anyone here that liked the Flyers and all of a sudden your team's players come from and move to Calgary?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Phantoms just moved close to me, but as a Rangers fan I definitely do not like the Flyers much.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I just realized, what do people from Adironack do for example? Anyone here that liked the Flyers and all of a sudden your team's players come from and move to Calgary?

Not likely, at least not many more than any other affiliation change (which are fairly frequent). Glen's Falls (Adirondack) hosted the Red Wings farm team for a couple decades until 1999, and then didn't have an AHL team until the Phantoms moved there in 2009. The Phantoms were based in Philadelphia until the Spectrum closed. It was known pretty much from the get go that the plan was to move the team to Allentown once the arena was finished. Geographically, Glen's Falls is closer to several other NHL cities (New York, Ottawa, Montreal, Boston) than it is to Philadelphia, and it falls in the New York teams' TV broadcast area.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
Well, if you are primarily a fan of an AHL team, it kind of makes sense that you would hate the NHL team that regularly takes away your best players for periods of time. Let's say your team is doing well, but the NHL team is hit by a string of injuries and recalls most of your good young players. Suddenly your season goes to the gutter.

ZapRowsdower13

Ticklish Tummy Tumx2
Mar 2, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
ECHL wise but worked for the Reading Royals for a year, they were affilated with the Leafs when I was there and that's Flyers country so some hate. Now they're with the Caps so I imagine some people still hate the pro team.

For my NHL team the Pens AHL being in Wilkes Barre-Scranton I'm sure that's more of a Flyers or even Rangers (unless other teams have fans there too) area.

ZacUSNYR

Mar 16, 2009
Upstate, NY
I'm between the Devils and the ADK Flames (Previously the Phantoms).

Hate both the Devils/Flyers, hate both the AHL Devils/Phantoms. I go to the games that Hartford plays against them.

I think the Flames are easier to like and will be trying to root for them. My AHL team is the Wolfpack though. I'm two hours from Hartford and go to a couple home games at the XL a season.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
ECHL wise but worked for the Reading Royals for a year, they were affilated with the Leafs when I was there and that's Flyers country so some hate. Now they're with the Caps so I imagine some people still hate the pro team.

Reading is affiliated with the Flyers for this upcoming season. The afilliation with the Capitals is over.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I'm from St. John's and not only cheer for the IceCaps, but am employed by them.
As a die hard Avs fan I don't really care for the Jets. They don't bother me much right now since they aren't exactly competitive but as they get better I can imagine me having a love hate relationship with some players as the divisional rivalry thickens between the Avs and Jets.

SirPaste

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
STL
I'm not really sure if the fans in Chicago are wolves fans and Hawk fans but I'd say there is a good chance some of the Wolves fans hate the Blues

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Grew up in Harrisburg, PA.. went to many Hershey Bears hockey games in Highschool.. But I Hate hate hate hate hate the caps as an organization.. but I like certain Caps players that I watched in the minors.. Holtby for example.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
New York City doesn't have minor hockey, but it would be cool if we picked one up. I'd go even if it wasn't a Rangers affiliate.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
When I lived in the area, I was a Springfield Falcons fan but always hated or had a complete uncaring set of feelings for their affiliates through time. When they were the Springfield Indians I didn't mind the Whalers at all, though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I'm between the Devils and the ADK Flames (Previously the Phantoms).

Hate both the Devils/Flyers, hate both the AHL Devils/Phantoms. I go to the games that Hartford plays against them.

I think the Flames are easier to like and will be trying to root for them. My AHL team is the Wolfpack though. I'm two hours from Hartford and go to a couple home games at the XL a season.

Definitely go to the games. Our AHL team is stacked this year; at least from a forward perspective. The defense is meh, our goaltender is awesome.

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
Only minor league team close to me is the Stockton Thunder of the ECHL. I cheer for them, but im not a huge fan of the NYI.

IME

Feb 21, 2008
The Cloud
Leaf fan living in Rochester. We have the Rochester Americans (Amerks) that are Buffalo's AHL affiliate. Even though I don't like the Sabres at all, I'll cheer on the Amerks anytime they aren't playing the Marlies.

GrafSk8r12

Jul 4, 2011
I've always been pretty indifferent towards the Flames, but when the Quad Cities had the AHL affiliate before it moved to Abbotsford, I paid a little more attention to Calgary.

SiflOlly

Aug 6, 2011
We are just getting an ECHL team in Indianapolis. First real hockey team in decades. Problem is, they are affiliated with the Blackhawks.... So no, I am not supporting the Blackhawks organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad