Post-Game Talk: I love it when a plan comes together: Pens dominate, 4-3 (Mod warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Like I said, bulletin board material. The Pens are a very talented team that's been playing an unfocused game, so it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

The last time a player said something about a Penguin being nothing special, he was proven decisively wrong.

Didn't the Pens take offense to Price upping his street cred at their expense?

Johnson is a dumb ass. Let sleeping dogs lie.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't want to pile on Bylsma and this definitely not meant to be or sound like it (nor is it), but I think a more disciplinarian of a coach would get more out of this team. The horrendous play for stretches by the team would not be tolerated by a coach that would crack the whip more and I think the players would respect that just as much as the friendly approach Bylsma brings.

Bylsma is good, but he's not the coach you need for a team that is a contender year after year.

Byslma would be a fantastic coach for the Oilers, for example. But for the Pens, I just think he's not a good fit. It's not the usual criticism of his "horrible system, bizarre line-ups...etc" which is whatever.

The team is playing uninspired hockey for long periods of every game, in the PLAYOFFS for ****'s sake. A coach should never take the crap he's seeing on the ice from the Pens.

ilovealistair

Apr 14, 2014
I know this is weird but why don't we try switching wingers and centers around. I'd like Neal or Stemp. on Sids line, see what would happen. I'd really just like to see Kunitz moved back down a few lines, if only to prod Geno into beast mode

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I know this is weird but why don't we try switching wingers and centers around. I'd like Neal or Stemp. on Sids line, see what would happen. I'd really just like to see Kunitz moved back down a few lines, if only to prod Geno into beast mode

It would be interesting to see a change of this...

Bennett, Crosby, Neal
Kunitz, Malkin, Stempniak
Jokinen, Sutter, Megna

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Columbus didn't just start sitting back five minutes into the game. The Jackets scored twice fast, but the Pens were the better team all night. The Pens were even out shooting the Jackets at that point if I'm not mistaken. I know shots aren't indicative of how the game was going, but the Pens were getting chances and did have some good offensive zone time. Even in the first period. The power play pretty much held the puck in the offensive zone the entire two minutes on many of the power plays.

You'd think the Pens looked horrible last night after reading this abomination of a forum. They looked decent at worst, and actually looked like a contender in the third. I even thought Sid was dangerous at times. Yes, his cross ice passes are frustrating. Nobody can debate that.

I agree. Whatever the reverse of rose-tinted glasses are is what Pens fans had on last night. Those first 2 goals where team brainfarts, not just Fleury. But after that, I don't know how anyone can even dispute we were by-far the better team 5-on-5. Unfortunately, our special teams where the ***** though. It didn't surprise me that we earned as many scoring chances as we did and credit Dan Bylsma getting these guys to simplify things offensively. It sounds simple, and maybe it is, but I can say from my own coaching experience that because hockey players don't have a bird's eye view of the game when they're on the ice it's harder than you'd think to get them to do something that they don't just do naturally.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
One of the most terrifying things to read are things like Sid's comments, where he acts like this game was a big win because they came back from it. Not that they sucked for 40mins and should have never been in that situation.

I mean, this team is sitting back and thinking "Hey man, we won, we're like...hard workers and stuff!"...not "We sucked, we need that to stop, we need a full 60min effort, enough of this."

chuppa chupp

star gazing
Apr 14, 2009
somewhere out there
Bylsma - "Ok team. Great win yesterday. You see what we can do when we get pucks to the net. Today's practice will foc-"

Players - "Do we haaaaave to practice today? We are sore and it's sunny outside. Pleeeeease?"

Byslma - "Alright, well, I guess we can cut short practice by 30 minutes today. By the way, did you hear what Jack Johnson said about you guys? He called you a ...."

Sid - "Tonight is .25 cent wing night at the Birmingham Bridge Tavern. Last one there is a rotten egg!"

Players - "Weeeeee!!!!! Lets go!"

Bysmla - "Guys? Hey, where are you going?"

That's what I imagine a Dan Byslma led practice to be like.

NastyNick

Sep 7, 2007
Pittsburgh
Are people really calling out MAF for his performance in this series? The story of this series from the Pens' perspective has been a complete no-show from our star offensive players, surprise offensively contributions from our D, and a revitalized MAF.

He hasn't been his absolute best, but poor goaltending could easily have us in an 0-3 hole against CBJ. He was our best player last night and he was more than adequate in games 1 & 2. I understand all of the MAF hate after the last few post seasons, but anybody giving him hell for his play in this series is out to lunch.

This is the sort of twilight zone post i expected when i came here today. Thank you.

To summarize: Our goalie who usually has a 80% save percentage in the playoffs has a 85% save percentage this year!

Proper response: Its Columbus.. and he still sucks.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
This is the sort of twilight zone post i expected when i came here today. Thank you.

To summarize: Our goalie who usually has a 80% save percentage in the playoffs has a 85% save percentage this year!

Proper response: Its Columbus.. and he still sucks.

To me, your posts in this thread are the "twilight zone" posts...nothing but blind MAF hatred. I think the guy has been GARBAGE in the post season recently, but also know that 95% of that is between his ears, and that if he'd fix the "between the ears" part, he'd be a pretty good goaltender. So, to me, looking for signs that he's fixing what's between his ears is what should be focused on. Obviously, he had the chance to MELT DOWN last night after the second goal, but DIDN'T. He had the chance to melt down being down 3-1 in game 1 also, and didn't. That SHOULD be seen as progress for THIS paricular goalie, as mental stress forcing bad goals has been his problem. If he improves on that (and early returns are that he is/has), then to me we have reason to be optimistic about him, as he has all the ability in the world physically. Still, so many folks here want to take the easy route, and point to MAF as the problem right now, and he's simply NOT. He HAS been, and last year he WAS. He may BECOME the problem in the next game, or next series. But, for now, he's not, and to me, posts suggesting otherwise are the ones in the "twilight zone."

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
To me, your posts in this thread are the "twilight zone" posts...nothing but blind MAF hatred. I think the guy has been GARBAGE in the post season recently, but also know that 95% of that is between his ears, and that if he'd fix the "between the ears" part, he'd be a pretty good goaltender. So, to me, looking for signs that he's fixing what's between his ears is what should be focused on. Obviously, he had the chance to MELT DOWN last night after the second goal, but DIDN'T. He had the chance to melt down being down 3-1 in game 1 also, and didn't. That SHOULD be seen as progress for THIS paricular goalie, as mental stress forcing bad goals has been his problem. If he improves on that (and early returns are that he is/has), then to me we have reason to be optimistic about him, as he has all the ability in the world physically. Still, so many folks here want to take the easy route, and point to MAF as the problem right now, and he's simply NOT. He HAS been, and last year he WAS. He may BECOME the problem in the next game, or next series. But, for now, he's not, and to me, posts suggesting otherwise are the ones in the "twilight zone."

Fleury could stop 99 out of 100 shots in a 1-0 6OT loss and he'd still get blamed by many.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Fleury could stop 99 out of 100 shots in a 1-0 6OT loss and he'd still get blamed by many.

It works both ways. Fleury could let in 6 goals on 20 shots in a 7-6 win, and Fleury's defenders would pretend it was all on the defense and crow about him "making the big save to keep the 1 goal lead".

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Is that in reference to the Pens young guys or Columbus?

I'm sure it's about Columbus, but still funny coming from one of the worst players on this team...veteran or not.

I don't think Fleury is exactly making an early case for the Conn Smythe, or anything. Far from it. But he's been alright. I agree that he's not exactly an issue. For now.

But I will say that I think out standards have slipped if we are actually going to call him "good." He's been... there.

Yep. He's been like the seventh-worst defender after his six D-men. Does that make him 'good'?

Didn't the Pens take offense to Price upping his street cred at their expense?

Yeah, that didn't end well (especially for the Montrealers on this board!) :shakehead

Fire Shero*

Bylsma - "Ok team. Great win yesterday. You see what we can do when we get pucks to the net. Today's practice will foc-"

Players - "Do we haaaaave to practice today? We are sore and it's sunny outside. Pleeeeease?"

Byslma - "Alright, well, I guess we can cut short practice by 30 minutes today. By the way, did you hear what Jack Johnson said about you guys? He called you a ...."

Sid - "Tonight is .25 cent wing night at the Birmingham Bridge Tavern. Last one there is a rotten egg!"

They do have good wings

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I'm sure it's about Columbus, but still funny coming from one of the worst players on this team...veteran or not.

I was listening to the interview last night, and my recollection was that this came in response to a question about guys like Megna giving some energy to the team or something to that effect. So I think (and I could be wrong) it was in reference to the Pens own players.

Lim Ran

Apr 11, 2009
Toronto

I imagine a lot like that, but with "Players" and "Bylsma" switched.

Fire Shero*

JJ was right, the pens are nothing special. But he plays on the worst playoff team in the league. I wonder if he actually convinced himself Columbus can beat a respectable team or any western conference team.

nbonaddio

BELLOWS: THE BEST
Mar 28, 2007
It works both ways. Fleury could let in 6 goals on 20 shots in a 7-6 win, and Fleury's defenders would pretend it was all on the defense and crow about him "making the big save to keep the 1 goal lead".

Sure, but what's been more common: MAF getting credit he doesn't deserve, or MAF getting criticism that he doesn't deserve? It's interesting that thread after thread can be made about how horrible Orpik/Letang/Scuds are playing but people can't make the connection between that and MAF's play, as if the sole way to measure a goalie's play is the extent of which he can overcome his defense's awfulness.

ByeBye

Jul 13, 2010
Sure, but what's been more common: MAF getting credit he doesn't deserve, or MAF getting criticism that he doesn't deserve? It's interesting that thread after thread can be made about how horrible Orpik/Letang/Scuds are playing but people can't make the connection between that and MAF's play, as if the sole way to measure a goalie's play is the extent of which he can overcome his defense's awfulness.

Well, he brought this upon himself, so he's not getting the benefit of the doubt. That can't really be surprising.

Still Apps

The New Gig
Jan 10, 2012
Home
A serious question for those whose knowledge of hockey x's and o's is far beyond my poor understanding. I believe I saw the Pens score 4 "dirty" goals last night with at least one Pens player in or near the blue paint in each case. This was not the usual perimeter ice follies that I've come to expect. Also, I believe I saw an end to the Pens' "stretch pass" in the 3rd period and a unit of 5 coming back into our defensive zone to stop the Columbus forecheck. They seemed to have better numbers coming back than I've seen this season as well as real puck support exiting our defensive zone.

My question is this: Are these things just a matter of individual effort by the players or was this some strategic adjustment made during the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad