Post-Game Talk: I love it when a plan comes together: Pens dominate, 4-3 (Mod warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Too much is made of 'bulletin board material' in the playoffs. Every series has its version of what Johnson said. It really makes little difference.

If the Pens need to be reminded by Jack Johnson of what they are, or what the goal is, they have mega issues.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Too much is made of 'bulletin board material' in the playoffs. Every series has its version of what Johnson said. It really makes little difference.

If the Pens need to be reminded by Jack Johnson of what they are, or what the goal is, they have mega issues.

And there's that too. I mean a little extra motivation from being "disrespected" can't hurt, but these guys should be ultra motivated anyway.

My biggest concern with this team is that they don't seem to know how to play with intensity and snarl without going ape **** and doing stupid stuff.

You can tell they are trying really hard not to get into any scrums. So much so that they are playing uninspired hockey. No fire, no intensity. That can work against Columbus due to the talent gap, but it sure as well isn't going to win them a Cup.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
okay, since we're on the topic of what appears to be "moronic rationalizations" (not my words, mods, just his hash tag!), could you explain to me what Bobrovsky being bad has to do with saying MAF was bad?

Thanks!

Because when the other goaltender has been worse than MAF, some how MAF is still the worst.

But, please, educate me about how MAF is worse than Bobs and every other goaltender. Has he been mediocre? Yeah for parts of the game, but the guy has also been solid enough to keep the Pens in it when the defense goes to crap. He's improved over last year and even the last 3yrs in the playoffs. I think a lot of players have been mediocre this year, goaltenders wise I mean.

I'll take that as an improvement. I think MAF being in for this series (if they win), is going to push him past the hump for the 2nd round.

Now if Sid & Geno can start shooting more, maybe they can finally score some goals again.

I don't get how Beau Bennett isn't treated as a top 6 player by Bylsma. At times, he just treats him like a bottom 6 player, but not the Bylsma type bottom 6 preferential treatment.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Because when the other goaltender has been worse than MAF, some how MAF is still the worst.

But, please, educate me about how MAF is worse than Bobs and every other goaltender.

Has he been mediocre? Yeah for parts of the game, but the guy has also been solid enough to keep the Pens in it when the defense goes to crap. He's improved over last year and even the last 3yrs in the playoffs.

I'll take that as an improvement. I think MAF being in for this series (if they win), is going to push him past the hump for the 2nd round.

Now if Sid & Geno can start shooting more, maybe they can finally score some goals again.

I don't care how Bobrovsky is playing. I don't care how Jonathan Quick is playing. I don't care how Cold Play is playing.

I don't excuse a bad meal because someone else could have served me worse. I don't excuse bad drivers because someone else drives poorly

Marc-Andre Fleury should be judged on his performances, no one else's.

He has a lot to prove this year. I don't think you can keep saying, "I WON A CUP!" as you have meltdown after meltdown.

While he's been better this year than last year or against the Flyers, I'm still not sure I feel safe and sound with him as the goalie.

When I, personally - and I understand your comment wasn't directed at me - comment on Marc-Andre Fleury, that's where I'm coming from. It doesn't matter how anyone else performs, he's their goalie.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Let me translate.

OTNMzON.gif

LetangInTheSO

Oct 17, 2008
Are people really calling out MAF for his performance in this series? The story of this series from the Pens' perspective has been a complete no-show from our star offensive players, surprise offensively contributions from our D, and a revitalized MAF.

He hasn't been his absolute best, but poor goaltending could easily have us in an 0-3 hole against CBJ. He was our best player last night and he was more than adequate in games 1 & 2. I understand all of the MAF hate after the last few post seasons, but anybody giving him hell for his play in this series is out to lunch.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
I wanted to jump through my TV and strangle Regis Mcguire after that second goal, he was going downright ballistic screaming about "FLEURY'S MELTDOWN" like NBC couldn't wait for that storyline to pop up. The first goal was on him giving up that juicy rebound, but even then you could argue he was left out to dry on both of them, and a far cry from a ****ing meltdown.

Couldn't agree more. He was HYSTERICALLY yelling about the "meltdown" we were "witnessing." It had the potential to turn INTO that, but to call those two goals a "Fleury meltdown in progress" was idiotic...it was actually quite irritating it was so dumb...

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Are people really calling out MAF for his performance in this series? The story of this series from the Pens' perspective has been a complete no-show from our star offensive players, surprise offensively contributions from our D, and a revitalized MAF.

He hasn't been his absolute best, but poor goaltending could easily have us in an 0-3 hole against CBJ. He was our best player last night and he was more than adequate in games 1 & 2. I understand all of the MAF hate after the last few post seasons, but anybody giving him hell for his play in this series is out to lunch.

Yeah, Fleury is like 10th on my list of things that could be better right now. My only major concern is that his rebound control looks sketchy; it hasn't been backbreaking by any means. He's playing average to slightly above average hockey.

Mordax

You make it hard
Sep 23, 2009
Victoria, BC

He's doomed to be criticized for his every little error. His past performances have warranted that. I agree he's looked fine, but really, haters gonna hate regardless of whether he plays well or not.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't think Fleury is exactly making an early case for the Conn Smythe, or anything. Far from it. But he's been alright. I agree that he's not exactly an issue. For now.

But I will say that I think out standards have slipped if we are actually going to call him "good." He's been... there.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch

Him and Goc are probably coming back around the same time, and he's more than likely going to be out if Goc is in. Young legs and young energy definitely helps in certain situations, but the experience card trumps that.

...or so I'm told.

steveg

Jul 8, 2012
Norman, OK
Guys, C'MON! That Orpik quote was him comparing the Pens' "experience" as a perennial playoff team vs. Columbus and their "young legs." While it may not have been a great quote, he was NOT referring to HIS experience being key to HIS TEAM, and dissing the Pens young players...

Do you REALLY believe he is so arrogant (and that the players would look up to him as a leader in the room, which he has been known as during his career) if he was the type to pat himself on the back while back-handing his young, talented teammates?

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

Yeah Fleury hasn't been great, but the defense has been much more liable. How many times did Columbus score on odd man breaks, or worse second chances where no one cleared the front of the net?

It looked like that pregame warmup drill with the entire team in front of Fleury taking shots at times.

I couldn't find a Pens' version, but like this:
craign-anderson-warm-up-drill.jpg

You simply can not win if you do not have the balls to fight the battles to clear your net, or to stand in front of the opposing goalie for that matter. Our players suck at both.

Fleury3434*

Jan 14, 2013
Fleury hasn't been amazing...but he has been good enough to put our team in positions to win games, and that's all I can ask for of him. Fleury usually bounces back after not so great showings such as last night so don't be surprised to see fleury stand on his head tomorrow.

The fleury hate is rediculous; please all the fleury haters, name 3 other goalies that are available to the pens via trade or free agency that would fair better than fleury with our horrendous D coverage? And if you say vokoun I'll just straight laugh. There is a reason why he's not even backup; vokoun played the playoffs OF HIS LIFE last year and he won't do that again.

For once we actually have a strong minded fleury and the first thing people want to do is kick him to the curb. Yes fleury only had 20 shots last night. Yes maybe the first two goals were weak. But looking at the series as a whole, fleury has made some amazing saves and kept us in games. Hell last night he had an amazing side to side save and also the stick check to keep it 3-1!!! Fleury haters will hate that's for sure

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

So not ******** the bed is "revitalized"? Wonderful.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Columbus didn't just start sitting back five minutes into the game. The Jackets scored twice fast, but the Pens were the better team all night. The Pens were even out shooting the Jackets at that point if I'm not mistaken. I know shots aren't indicative of how the game was going, but the Pens were getting chances and did have some good offensive zone time. Even in the first period. The power play pretty much held the puck in the offensive zone the entire two minutes on many of the power plays.

You'd think the Pens looked horrible last night after reading this abomination of a forum. They looked decent at worst, and actually looked like a contender in the third. I even thought Sid was dangerous at times. Yes, his cross ice passes are frustrating. Nobody can debate that.

I believe it was a few minutes into the second when I noticed Columbus dropping into a 1-4, so they were definetly squatting on the lead.

The Pens started coming in waves in the third, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad