Post-Game Talk: I love it when a plan comes together: Pens dominate, 4-3 (Mod warning)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
"Do not trust to hope...it has forsaken these lands..."

Urban+Eomer.jpg

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Johnson was right to say what he said, bulletin board material or not. If the Jackets are going to win this, they have to have swagger. They have to play the Penguins with disdain. They have to believe they're better and shove their own game down our throats. When they've won their minutes, that's what they've done.

When they're not playing like that, the disparity in firepower is going to be too much for them.

Don't talk about it, be about it.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
@pgshelly: Not at #Penguins practice: Niskanen, Martin, Kunitz, Sutter, Neal, Bennett, Jokinen, Orpik, Letang, Malkin, Crosby

@pgshelly: Also not at #Penguins practice: Fleury. Voloun and Zatkoff manning the nets.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Of course, the way this series is going, we'll win the next one 4-3 (to go up 3-1), then drop the next 3 all by scores of 4-3 (after having been up 3-1 in all of them).

Every 3-1 lead blown, because the pattern demands it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Like I said, bulletin board material. The Pens are a very talented team that's been playing an unfocused game, so it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

The last time a player said something about a Penguin being nothing special, he was proven decisively wrong.

Oh well. I like seeing the fire personally. They lost the game and he likely said that to show confidence.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Has nothing to do with whether he is right or not. Hell, I agree with him as most on this board.

However the Pens do have some special parts who have been asleep all series, and despite Bylsma being an idiot, despite the Pens playing like crap, those parts who haven't scored a goal all series each have the ability to single handedly take over a game and blow it wide open.

h677BFDEC

Yep. This is a huge factor. I don't have a problem with what JJ said. Propaganda machine to rally the troops.

The Pens are special and the CBJ's are just learning for most of them. Same for the Pens to a degree.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
We'll see if our guys use it to their advantage. But the guy has scored in every game, while playing our top end players pretty tough.

I think he's backing up what he said.

Martin has played pretty well this series. Six assists leads the team in points. How would you feel about him saying something like 'I don't know what all the fuss about that Columbus goalie, Bobo something or other. He doesn't seem all that special to me'.

Technically, the past three games that is true, Bobrovsky doesn't have a sparkling GAA and has not played up to where we know he can play. But why poke the bear? It is stupid, because you know Bobrovsky can steal a game or series. Just keep your mouth shut.

Is it any different with Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz and Letang not yet scoring a goal? Good job, but just shut up about it and do not call them nothing special. Any one of them can easily blow a game or series wide open.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I realize that the Jackets have been playing better hockey than we have for the majority of the time Cole, but it's not really fair to call the Pens "arrogant" and then call this statement "hunger".

Say what you will about the Pens ability to evaluate their own performance, but I've never heard the Pens say something as arrogant as this bulletin board material. The Pens are nothing special? Jack hasn't accomplished Jack ****. He can talk when he's done more than be the piece the Kings sent away to get better and win the Cup.

Fair statement. I like the way he said it. He kind of stated and took accountability and I felt the hunger. Orpik acted as if we had that game in the bag the whole way. Maybe two different ways I perceive it.

LOL.

All franchises are arrogant. The only ones that aren't are the Washington Generals of the world. :laugh:

But glad to see we're still on our misery kick here.

How could anyone watch this team and not be miserable? :laugh: Does anyone actually enjoy watching the game? I sound like a broken record but when they re-signed DB, we ALL agreed this would be Cup or frustration. That's it.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't see much difference at all between how we're playing in this series, and how we played against the Islanders last spring. Our goaltender is playing a bit better than he did last spring, and so is their's. Still, we're not seeing good goaltending on the other side again, and it's costing the opposition. Columbus is way more structured than the Islanders, but the Isles had way more firepower that could hurt us where we hurt most...defensively.

We won in 6 last year. We'll win this one in 5 or 6. But then what?

I think the Flyers are going to take out the Rangers. And we're not getting past any of Detroit, Boston or Montreal if we should happen to beat the Rangers next round (we can't beat Philly).

Another wasted year.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I know where you guys are coming from with the "don't poke the bear" stuff.

But I feel like it's been a while since we've seen that from these guys. I feel like they look at that quote from JJ, shrug and say "Well, I suppose he's entitled to his opinion. Are we allowed to go golfing and get drunk on the beach, soon?"

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Martin has played pretty well this series. Six assists leads the team in points. How would you feel about him saying something like 'I don't know what all the fuss about that Columbus goalie, Bobo something or other. He doesn't seem all that special to me'.

Technically, the past three games that is true, Bobrovsky doesn't have a sparkling GAA and has not played up to where we know he can play. But why poke the bear? It is stupid, because you know Bobrovsky can steal a game or series. Just keep your mouth shut.

Is it any different with Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Kunitz and Letang not yet scoring a goal? Good job, but just shut up about it and do not call them nothing special. Any one of them can easily blow a game or series wide open.

Saying that about a specific player is different than a team to me. Johnson didn't say "Crosby isn't very good" or "I don't see what the big deal is with Malkin". He said "we can beat them, they aren't that special. they are in our way to get to the Stanley Cup" (paraphrasing). Completely different scenario IMO.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Saying that about a specific player is different than a team to me. Johnson didn't say "Crosby isn't very good" or "I don't see what the big deal is with Malkin". He said "we can beat them, they aren't that special. they are in our way to get to the Stanley Cup" (paraphrasing). Completely different scenario IMO.

Maybe.

But if I am Bylsma I am riling the Pens up at practice today saying that he meant it exactly that way.

Oh wait . . . .

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Josh Yohe @JoshYohe_Trib

Gibbons says no timetable but that he was able to skate.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Oh well. I like seeing the fire personally. They lost the game and he likely said that to show confidence.

I guess the politically correct thing to say would have been, "we took our foot off the gas and you can't do that against a team with their firepower". But what the heck, it was right after an emotional loss; he's young; and he's probably right. All in all, I suspect it will have zero impact on the next game.

Now Foligno's snowing of Fleury - that was probably the wrong thing to do at the wrong point of the game.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I take exception to the notion that Paul Martin has played well this series. Yes, he's putting up points. Just imagine if it were Letang who was undressed with seconds to go last night? This board would have absolutely flipped. But it's 'steady' Martin, so nobody raises a fuss.

He's been good offensively, and absolute garbage defensively. That's usually Letang's M.O., not Martin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad