I like what I see from Nathan Beaulieu

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Personally from the few games I've seen him play I'm not overly excited about any part of his game, looks very hesitant as others have said, and his offence skills have not impressed me much yet, people use to say Subban 2.0, I don't see it yet. But he is 20yrs old and am more then willing to give him 2-3 years to reach his potential.

What gives him the high upside offensively is his skating, which is well above average plus he reads the play a lot like Markov. This helps him both with and without the puck.

Obviously he needs to better manage the puck, tends to make low percetage plays on offense at times. Defensively he needs to get stronger and more assertive.

Don't forget that he is only 20.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
As 2nd year pros, with Beaulieu being a December born 92. not all D can play well consistently in the NHL at that point in their career. Some people were spoiled by Subban who came in as a 2nd year pro and played 22+ minutes/game. Both Tinordi and Beaulieu showed flashes of being top 4 D but neither have dominated the AHL yet. They have a good chance of doing so this season and being ready next season.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I'll be disapointed if Beaulieu doesn't end up better than Del Zotto. He's bigger, faster and better hockey sense. Del Zotto is like a bigger Weber.

Well i hope so too, but i'm just being realistic. Del Zotto has already posted 2 solid offensive seasons of 37 and 41 points. He's not great defensively, but at 23, he's considered a solid NHLer. He's a 1st rounder around where Beaulieu was drafted with similar upside. He got his start when he was 19, Beaulieu is 20. 15-20 games for Beaulieu this year seems about right for me.

Halifaxhab*

What gives him the high upside offensively is his skating, which is well above average plus he reads the play a lot like Markov. This helps him both with and without the puck.

Obviously he needs to better manage the puck, tends to make low percetage plays on offense at times. Defensively he needs to get stronger and more assertive.

Don't forget that he is only 20.

He's made some beautiful passing plays (like Markov) and make it seem effortless when he carries the puck (like Subban), and also has a good shot.

Agreed on his defense. In the Q his first couple seasons were tough, but after that he began to dominate. A couple seasons in the AHL/call-up to NHL and his defense should be solid.

He also has a physical aspect to his game that will make him a popular player in a couple years.

He's not quite NHL ready yet, but by next year, I have confidence in MB's management team that he'll be devellopped to that level.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Personally from the few games I've seen him play I'm not overly excited about any part of his game, looks very hesitant as others have said, and his offence skills have not impressed me much yet, people use to say Subban 2.0, I don't see it yet. But he is 20yrs old and am more then willing to give him 2-3 years to reach his potential.

That's because there is none and will never be. But I will play my own devils advocate here and say that he started the season on the Canadiens roster as a 20 yr old same as Subban did, only in a much easier environment.

Subban had to step in as the team's number one defenseman from the get go (Philly back to back, the same team that humiliated us in the playoffs and had a terrific team, he still was .ppg in those games), and as far as I'm concerned he hasn't relinquished that role since.

I don't think Beaulieu is quite the caliber of player Subban is in his work ethic off ice, which in great part allowed Subban to be the player he is today.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
To all those who say his defensive zone game is so bad...he is doing as well as St-Denis did, and many thought he was a NHL'r. Considering how many games he has played since going pro, consider it a win.

He will be sent down as soon Murray/Emelin is ready, and the NHL experience will only do him well and solidify his development.

Stop worrying.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Beaulieu will probably be as productive as James Wisniewski or Dustin Byfuglien offensively but has the potential to eclipse both of those guys. Defensively, well, it's up to him to shore that aspect of the game up. He has the potential to be an absolute monster in this league.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
To all those who say his defensive zone game is so bad...he is doing as well as St-Denis did, and many thought he was a NHL'r. Considering how many games he has played since going pro, consider it a win.

He will be sent down as soon Murray/Emelin is ready, and the NHL experience will only do him well and solidify his development.

Stop worrying.

On top of that, wasn't he hurt in training camp? Give him at least 5-10 games before making a serious judgment of the guy. For me, he hasn't stuck out like sore thumb. He might on a better defensive squad, but on the Habs he's been so-so, which is fairly par for the course.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
The one thing I really like about him is his ability to actually skate the puck out of the zone. A couple times our team has been gassed and pinned deep and he's grabbed the puck and just burst to centre to dump it in.

Also, he can enter the zone. Like many said, hard to teach these things. On defense, I find he's always turned around and spinning. It's a bit like PK but PK knows what he's doing lol.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
That's because there is none and will never be. But I will play my own devils advocate here and say that he started the season on the Canadiens roster as a 20 yr old same as Subban did, only in a much easier environment.

Subban had to step in as the team's number one defenseman from the get go (Philly back to back, the same team that humiliated us in the playoffs and had a terrific team, he still was .ppg in those games), and as far as I'm concerned he hasn't relinquished that role since.

I don't think Beaulieu is quite the caliber of player Subban is in his work ethic off ice, which in great part allowed Subban to be the player he is today.

Subban didn't make the Habs as a 20 year old, he played that year almost fully in the AHL until late in the year when Markov got hurt and they called him up for the playoffs.

Dr_Hook

Jun 4, 2006
Looks great with the puck on his stick and I like the skill set still ; but he looks like he has no clue how to play defense though. And I don't mean OK with occasionnal mistakes : D zone covrage looks like a total mystery for Beaulieu.

Needs a full year in AHL with solid relentless coaching and probably sheltered minutes as a 3rd pair guy in the NHL next year

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
In all honesty, i think Tinordi is much more NHL ready than Beaulieu. Plus, i don't like the idea of alternating them every game.

Let Beaulieu dominate the AHL this season (because he needs it, just like Subban did it), and let Tinordi play every game to get used to the NHL pace. Beaulieu will be readu next year.

habsrock76

Sep 21, 2006
Ottawa
He looked alot better vs Edmonton then he did last night.

As someone mentioned earlier him being hurt in training camp essentially has him trying to play catch up. Last night I think was only his 3rd game played this year including none in training camp (might be wrong about that) and 1 in the AHL.

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
In all honesty, i think Tinordi is much more NHL ready than Beaulieu. Plus, i don't like the idea of alternating them every game.

Let Beaulieu dominate the AHL this season (because he needs it, just like Subban did it), and let Tinordi play every game to get used to the NHL pace. Beaulieu will be readu next year.

This. Beaulieu needs to work on his defence. He's definetely not there yet. Tinordi has growing pains but its less painful to watch

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
Please stop comparing Beaulieu to Subban, Subban just won the Norris, lol.
Beaulieu and Michael Del Zotto are a better comparison.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
His development curve will frankly be average. We cant expect another Subban development wise from him or Tinordi. Im more than willing to be patient and when we get some injured Dmen back, hopefully they stay up. That way they can play some nice sheltered minutes while still facing NHL opponents. Beaulieu playing decently in the NHL right now is actually a big deal, since there was some question about his status as a possible bust.

He may not meet his potential, but to me hes going to be a solid Offensive Dman with physicality (When he fills out)

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
His timing is off. It's not junoir or AHL where you have time to move the puck. in the NHL everyone is fast so he looks slow moving the puck. Beaulieu isn't a slow player by all means but he needs to get adjusted to the timing.

And he pretty much missed training camp.

Feintastic

Jun 22, 2013
For sure if choaches aint willing to give both Beaulieu and Tinordi quality minutes they should just send 'em down asap. If they wanna keep one of them then give him ice time...how the heck u want the kid to develop his game on the bench or playing 50% of the games.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
For sure if choaches aint willing to give both Beaulieu and Tinordi quality minutes they should just send 'em down asap. If they wanna keep one of them then give him ice time...how the heck u want the kid to develop his game on the bench or playing 50% of the games.

Could be a real positive in many ways. Get use to the speed. Get to study every other game from the overhead. Best facilities, best coaches and play 30 or so games.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
Both Beaulieu and Tinordi are struggling to make decisions at an NHL pace. When we get Murray and hopefully Emelin back, I'd send the both of them down.

I think Beaulieu, like Tinordi, is showing as much good as bad though, so there's no rush.

wow.do people on here actually watch the games?they are both busts obviously.i mean what kind of d man isn't an allstar by the age of 23?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
His play with the puck is already NHL ready. He does things with the puck that you just can't teach.

Away from the puck, he is a major work in progress. Its this aspect of the game that will dictate when he will be able to make the full time jump. Its only a matter of time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad