I like what I see from Nathan Beaulieu

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
I really like what I see from Nathan Beaulieu and I think that at 17th overall he might become a steal even though Brandon Saad was taken way after him in the 2nd round and he was a player I was very high on going into the 2011 draft.

So...

We have Subban, Tinordi, Gorges, Emelin all under 30 and can play in the NHL, Beaulieu add's more size, skill, can move the puck, play on the 2nd PP one day.

A great defense core of the future with:

Subban - Tinordi
Bealieu - Emelin
Gorges - Thrower
Ellis - Dietz
Pateryn - Nygren

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Honestly, he's lost on defence. He's good in offensive zone, like we expected, but man, did he look bad in defence.

He needs more time in AHL.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Honestly, he's lost on defence. He's good in offensive zone, like we expected, but man, did he look bad in defence.

He needs more time in AHL

Both Beaulieu and Tinordi are struggling to make decisions at an NHL pace. When we get Murray and hopefully Emelin back, I'd send the both of them down.

I think Beaulieu, like Tinordi, is showing as much good as bad though, so there's no rush.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
Both Beaulieu and Tinordi are struggling to make decisions at an NHL pace. When we get Murray and hopefully Emelin back, I'd send the both of them down.

I think Beaulieu, like Tinordi, is showing as much good as bad though, so there's no rush.

Pros always say learning the NHL defense is alot tougher then offense. Beaulieu looked really lost for awhile last night on the d side. Tinordi tends to overplay the corners at times instead of sticking close to the net. But practice will make perfect and no need to panic yet while we are winning. Baby feed them and let them grow whiling coaching them in the finer areas of NHL defense. 2 good looking potential 1st/2nd pair in the making

malton

Feb 17, 2009
I find he is too hesitant on D. He never seems to step up and always allows the forward to carry the puck into the circle and get quality shots.

On the offensive side he has been playing decent.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Love what i see out there, what hes "bad" at will only come with time, what hes GOOD at, you cant teach that

dominating the AHL will only get him OVER-confidence i find...

i think staying in the NHL and staying humble would be best for him, obviously hes the first to be sent back down but i absolutely want him to get as many NHL games in as possible before that happens

you WANT these kids to see its not EASY, and dominating the AHL might make one think that it is (especially this guy lol)

he brings great offensive creativity and speed ... while "sucking at D" , ...well, ..tinordi , bouillon and diaz arent STANDOUTS at D either, but none of them can bring what beaulieu can.

Analyzer*

He reacts too slow. He's speed didn't seem to be all that amazing, but he did just rush the puck up the ice.

He seems more confident in the offensive zone than defensive. He still has things to learn, but they will come. He'll likely be in the top 6 next year.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

Thing is that when Tinordi will adjust to the NHL pace (it will happen soon), he will be more ready that Beaulieu. Beaulieu, even if he adjust to NHL pace, is bad defensively. Doesn't know what to do in d-zone. He needs more time in AHL than Tinordi.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He reacts too slow. He's speed didn't seem to be all that amazing, but he did just rush the puck up the ice.

He seems more confident in the offensive zone than defensive. He still has things to learn, but they will come. He'll likely be in the top 6 next year.

lol, it was just funny to read at first. with D its usualy top 4 i would think

Habskrieg

Apr 6, 2008
Germany
Agreed, I'm really liking how Tinordi and Beaulieu are coming along.

They aren't quite there yet defensively. But if the team keeps switching them every other game. Meanwhile, the coaches teach and train these guys to become better defensively, then there shouldn't be any problem. The team can handle their learning curve for the time being. It might cost us some games, but that's part of the learning experience.

I'd rather keep them on the team, alternate them every game, teach and train them like we're doing now. Rather than sending them back to the AHL, where I don't think they'll learn as much on how to play at the pro level. They're getting direct training. My only concern is rushing them too fast.

Last edited:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I really like what I see from Nathan Beaulieu and I think that at 17th overall he might become a steal even though Brandon Saad was taken way after him in the 2nd round and he was a player I was very high on going into the 2011 draft.

So...

We have Subban, Tinordi, Gorges, Emelin all under 30 and can play in the NHL, Beaulieu add's more size, skill, can move the puck, play on the 2nd PP one day.

A great defense core of the future with:

Subban - Tinordi
Bealieu - Emelin
Gorges - Thrower
Ellis - Dietz
Pateryn - Nygren

You can definitely see his potential, on offense he makes things look very easy. His decision making needs a bit of improvement, but we can't forget that the guy is only 20 years old. I think in 3-4 years he will be a foce at the NHL level, potentially a top 4 guy in a couple years.

Him and Tinordi both have big time upside but in different ways.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Thing is that when Tinordi will adjust to the NHL pace (it will happen soon), he will be more ready that Beaulieu. Beaulieu, even if he adjust to NHL pace, is bad defensively. Doesn't know what to do in d-zone. He needs more time in AHL than Tinordi.

I don't think it's so much he's bad defensively. I think it's more he's over thinking things, instead of just reacting naturally to a play. With time and practice, he'll get used to the Habs system, which IMO will improve his decision making.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST
agreed, i'm really liking how tinordi and beaulieu are coming along.

They aren't quite there yet defensively. But if the team keeps switching them every other game. Meanwhile, the coaches teach and train these guys to become better defensively, then there shouldn't be any problem. The team can handle their learning curve for the time being. It might cause us some games, but that's part of the learning experience.

I'd rather keep them on the team, alternate them every game, teach and train them like we'er doing now. Rather than sending them back to the ahl, where i don't think they'll learn as much on how to play at the pro level. They're getting direct training. My only concern is rushing them too fast.

x100%

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I'd much rather see Beaulieu and Tinordi stay up in the NHL. They'll make mistakes, but they'll learn faster. I think Beaulieu can be as good as Del Zotto, who went through a lot of growing pains his first couple of seasons.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
His timing is off. It's not junoir or AHL where you have time to move the puck. in the NHL everyone is fast so he looks slow moving the puck. Beaulieu isn't a slow player by all means but he needs to get adjusted to the timing.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
To become a complete player he should be playing 22min in Hamilton and work on his overall game.

I'm afraid he will become unidimensional offensive D if he stays with the team but only play 12mins every other game.

Halifaxhab*

His offensive game is very strong, his skating is a thing of beauty and he is very fast and agile.

His defense, well, it's poor right now. But it is all about timing, he isn't used to the speed of the NHL, he is looking for that perfect play but that split second is what's killing him. This is a side of his game that will come and even if only average, he will be well worth his draft position.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Beaulieu needs to fight someone, then he will be the Habs fav prospect :sarcasm:

But seriously he is a great fighter along with Tinordi. And why I put emphasis on this aspect is because the Habs will have one mean and skilled blue line with both of these guys in it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I'd much rather see Beaulieu and Tinordi stay up in the NHL. They'll make mistakes, but they'll learn faster. I think Beaulieu can be as good as Del Zotto, who went through a lot of growing pains his first couple of seasons.

I'll be disapointed if Beaulieu doesn't end up better than Del Zotto. He's bigger, faster and better hockey sense. Del Zotto is like a bigger Weber.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
To become a complete player he should be playing 22min in Hamilton and work on his overall game.

I'm afraid he will become unidimensional offensive D if he stays with the team but only play 12mins every other game.

He'll probably go down, no doubt. But i'd like to see him play a good 20 games with the Habs this year so he knows what he has to do to be an effective NHLer.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

That's the big advantage of playing AHL vs NHL. Kids learn to thrive instead of just learning to survive in the NHL. This is more evident with goalies and defensemen. Forwards if they make a mistake then you still have two levels of defense behind them.

e46330ivs*

Personally from the few games I've seen him play I'm not overly excited about any part of his game, looks very hesitant as others have said, and his offence skills have not impressed me much yet, people use to say Subban 2.0, I don't see it yet. But he is 20yrs old and am more then willing to give him 2-3 years to reach his potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad