I hate how 90% of goals are fluky in today’s game.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
90% of the goals today are flukes? I don't think so. Maybe, MAYBE 30%, but not 90%. I don't even think 30 is low enough. 90% means over 500+ players just get lucky when they score.

Reactions: Laus723

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
And coming down the wing along the boards firing weak wrist shots that go in like it was common in the 80s isn't fluky?

This is what would separate the elite goalie from the average one. The goaltending position is very easy to replace because the gap between the elite goalies and the mediocre ones is way too small.

Reactions: Marshmallow Man

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
And how many times do fans complain about their goalies when this happens? Fans expect goalies to stop all shots that are unscreened. The problem is that there just isn't enough visible net to shoot at for guys skating in off the rush.

Yeah the expectation from goaltending has gone massively up.

Right Wing

Oct 3, 2020
Better yet, just tell the players they are not allowed to defend. The teams will just take turns rushing the puck and trying to score on the goalie while the other team just skates backwards and watches.
Then it would just be a different form of basketball, team that gets the ball/puck first usually win

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
This thread is really stupid. Goalies have improved and with that, expectations for goalies have improved as well. Every time a goalie lets in a shot that he saw all the way, fans and commentators alike will all say "ah he let in a softie" even if the shot is like 105 mph.

There's absolutely nothing fluky about today's goals. This is the high percentage way of playing hockey. Not because every deflection goes in, it doesn't, but because the set up and execution is high percentage. Put the puck in a corner where you have a 50/50 chance of winning the puck. Pass it back up to the point defenseman, that pass is like 90% completion rate. He can go D to D at the line if necessary, again very high percentage passes. Then a shot from the point, and there are many stacking percentages here. The chance that the puck goes straight through the goalie is low, but it is even increased if you have a screening forward in front obstructing his vision for at least part of the puck's travel time. To do this, you have to practice being in position to screen the goalie, say off faceoffs or winning on the forecheck. Then there is a chance that the puck will be deflect, tipped, and there are positions to maximize these possibilities as well, ideally you both screen the goalie and have position to tip the puck, but also standing to the side of the goalie can allow for this, shoot to an area where the puck will be deflected. There is even the chance that the puck will hit a defender's body and go in. Then there is the chance that the initial shot with be blocked + the chance the tip will be blocked and the resulting rebound will be in a position where a defenseman who has been winning the positional battle in front of the net will be able to get his stick on it and put in on the goalie. So it's a simple play, but it has a very high percentage set up and many possible ways it can lead to goals.

That's why there are a lot of players who can pad their own stats because maybe they can score this flashy goal, they get out super far in front of their teammates where there's no possibility for a screen and the goalie will see the puck all the way, they pass a lot east to west which can be tipped by active sticks, they maybe have a cool shot that they can unleash and beat some goaltenders who weren't screened and they look amazing. But like, that's all low percentage stuff. Even if they are super good at that, and they score one goal per game, IF their team cannot run the high percentage play that I just described above, they will lose. Because all you need to do to beat them is score 2 goals per game. No one else on their team can replicate that type of play. If the rest of their team cannot score in high percentage ways, they just lose, even though they had one awesome player who seemingly is very impactful, he is not actually that impactful. He is just the guy who made himself look good by scoring the team's only goal in a 1-3, 1-4 loss. And that's the best case scenario because that's assuming star player scores his low percentage goals once a game. Most players don't score a goal per game. Worst case scenario, what if they don't get a powerplay called for them, or they get unlucky bounces on the powerplay, or they don't get an opportune mistake leading to some break scenario. If that star player can't get his low percentage goals to go, then suddenly the team lacks scoring. That's why it's important to play good system hockey. The ability to capitalize on transitions and mistakes from your opponents is great, but you also, perhaps more importantly, need to be able to execute high percentage plays to maximize your scoring chances.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Ugh no. Cause mcdavid wouldn't be the player he is now if he played in the 80s without the last 40 years of development.

The thesis of the thread is players have no offensive skill anymore which is bullshit in the first place. That's why I said if you put McDavid back then he should destroy the league, context and reading comprehension would do you wonders.

Shocker

Dec 20, 2019
Yeah, i also loved when generational players walked past 5 pylons to score on a standing goalie.

Minar

Aug 27, 2018
The thesis of the thread is players have no offensive skill anymore which is bullshit in the first place. That's why I said if you put McDavid back then he should destroy the league, context and reading comprehension would do you wonders.

No need to insult me. This is a discussion thread therefore people may have a different opinion than you and may wish to discuss it. I happen to not agree with the OP. I think the offensive skill of the current game is extremely vibrant. But I'm also very tired of the time machine argument that is a pointless take that goes nowhere. Why don't we put Lemieux back in the 1950s when they couldn't even take a slap shot and see him score 300 pts....pointless observation given the constant development of the game over time.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
It's really just because you aren't a fan of the sport. I too find hockey more exciting, but I like basketball and it isn't entirely trading baskets the whole way through. There's running offensive schemes and seeing what works and what doesn't, seeing what combination of the 7-8 guys you have is working in a game, managing rest and foul trouble, running set offensive plays, reacting to all of those things on defense, etc., and then it often comes down to the last few minutes [and a ton of fouling that is a rule that needs to be changed]. But of course what's needed from each team in the last minutes was dictated by what worked and didn't work the whole time. I know you know all that because your posts all sound reasonable and thought out.

A basketball fan who hates hockey would make the same passing argument about hockey, wondering how people could just watch people skate around and just hit each other and barely score or celebrate. Like you said, people are different. Some people love jumping up and going "awww shit" a ton of times a game. There's a much bigger "posterized" enjoyment in basketball compared to watching something that resembles a more beautiful game.

And funnily enough, hockey fans tend to hate soccer, to which your description on the anticipation of a goal and it's beauty is even more apt IMO. People just like what they like. I do find hockey fans tend to be the most aggressive about hockey and it's ranking against other sports.
I was a basketball fan. Just a big a fan of that sport as I am of hockey now. And it's not nearly the game that it used to be. I've tried to watch it since I've stopped, and I just can't do it. It's all 3s with no defense. And that's just a couple of the many problems with it.
Back in the 80s and 90s (especially the early part of the 90s), basketball made you watch it. It drew you in.
Today's game is nothing close to that.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
I love how people are getting so offended in this thread

Hockey as a sport is more reliant on luck than skill. That's not to say the sport doesn't require skill, but the outcome of the game more often than not is.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
"90% of the goals are flukey."

Nope.

" 99.99% of the time, if the goalie can see the puck, he is going to stop the puck."

More nope.

"see not only the decrease in scoring and offensive skill"

What? Just, no.

"damn near 90% of goals are scored off random deflections"

Making up numbers, doesn't make your math correct. You and math are not going to be friends now or any time in the future.

You're also nuts if you think deflections aren't a skill. How do you think guys like Messier, Cicarelli, Holmstrom, etc. made their living? I watched guys like Messier practice and give examples to TV shows, etc. exactly how they did it. I grew up in the 80's and watched the 90's NHL. The 80's was fun. But, the defensive game wasn't anywhere near what it was in the 90's and now today. And the 90's was just...left wing lock/neutral zone trap.

The entire OP is so off base, it's not even funny.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
I was a basketball fan. Just a big a fan of that sport as I am of hockey now. And it's not nearly the game that it used to be. I've tried to watch it since I've stopped, and I just can't do it. It's all 3s with no defense. And that's just a couple of the many problems with it.
Back in the 80s and 90s (especially the early part of the 90s), basketball made you watch it. It drew you in.
Today's game is nothing close to that.

I'd argue that analytics have turned most games into this. I think we saw the same changes in baseball (3 true outcomes) and we are seeing the same thing in hockey, albeit to a lesser extent because the analytics are further behind in such a fluid game. It actually fits right into what the OP is talking about. Hockey analytics make it easier for teams to see what's working and to try and shut that down moreso than finding some strategy that is quantifiable to exploit for more offense.

Reactions: Marshmallow Man

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
So you put yourself in a position to score.

You didn’t mean that outcome specifically, but it works time and time again. You score by going to the net, and if it banks off your ass and in, it wasn’t a complete accident. Did the defender let you park there for free? No, you battled for that position. An ass goal is a goal.

Teams playing the "probabilities" and in the "right way" is probably most effective but it f***ing sucks to watch.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
Are we trying to win or score the prettiest goal?

We are not trying to do either, we watch the games for entertainment. Granted nobody force me to watch so I stopped for the most part as I find them boring nowadays. Zero fights, very little feelings, robotic goalies, interviews and so on. Nobody can convince me todays hockey is close to as entertaining as that of, say, 20 years ago.

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
We are not trying to do either, we watch the games for entertainment. Granted nobody force me to watch so I stopped for the most part as I find them boring nowadays. Zero fights, very little feelings, robotic goalies, interviews and so on. Nobody can convince me todays hockey is close to as entertaining as that of, say, 20 years ago.
Fair enough, won't argue that the game is more entertaining as that is subjective. But strategy always revolves around winning nothing else, especially entertainment.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I like how the first comment in this thread is OP agreeing with himself in a passive aggressive tone, as if no one agreed with him, before anyone had anything to say.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
You can see with this picture how much better skilled goalies are today which has led to a larger degree of randomness and luck.
36e4eb2784c61346_800

But dont worry by 2045 these new lighter pads combined with the bigger better skilled goalies should improve the situation

a3fa21994c2c4e09_800

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
So nearly every goal last night (game 1 of the finals) went in off a fluky deflection, a screen, or a tip-in.

Clog the front of the net with any many bodies as possible, then fire the puck into the crowd, hoping it randomly bounces off someone and into the net.

Sorry, but that’s just not fun to watch.

Lolonegoal

Jan 25, 2012
The goalie pads are still insanly big. I dont care if some say that players also got more adventage, the game dies. You just dont beat a goalie clean nowadays. If you do, the goalie will be out of NHL after the season.
So what you're saying is your team isn't resigning Mike Smith?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad