I hate how 90% of goals are fluky in today’s game.

Minar

Aug 27, 2018
The game is better than its ever been, imo. The difference between today and the 80s is that today defense is prioritized just as much, if not more so, than offense. And the players today train harder, and take fitness and conditioning much more seriously. In addition, coaching has improved tremendously, and players will do everything it takes to win nowadays. If you watch games from the past (80s and earlier), the players are playing at the pace of a pre-game warmup of today. It almost looked like everyone was concerned with looking "graceful" and "effortless" while playing; nobody wanted to hustle. The game today is much faster and more advanced.

So nobody was trying in the 80s....

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Well the bullshittery is piled up in this statement, humor me on these "displays of athleticism" that occur in basketball and football but yet not in hockey. The same crux of your argument can be said of football as well, also what about great defensive plays, the athlete is not rewarded with a goal. Finally, do not BS me saying hockey lacks displays of athleticism compared any other sport, every athletic requirement of whatever sport you name is done with more athleticism in hockey because it is done in an unnatural setting - with skates on. I would also argue the last line of defense in hockey, the goaltender, is the most athletic position in all of sport.

In the NBA, how often do you see star players make great plays on a nightly basis that actually result in points being scored? MULTIPLE times a game.

NHL games are like the NBA if 90% of the baskets were scored in the paint and you were allowed to goaltend. There's already a limited opportunity for skilled players to make an impact due to shorter shifts and the overcoaching. The thread is about the quality of goals scored, not the quality of skill and athleticism in the league; those are different subjects completely. Hockey doesn't lack displays of athleticism compared to other sports, but it happens least often in hockey for sure.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
This entire post can be summed up as, 'I dont like it so no one else does and its not the way the game should be played.'

Or.... "Hockey is the least-watched sport of the big 5 and maybe opening up the game for skilled players would be a good idea."

summer tooth

Aug 10, 2020
I believe only about 30% are lucky goals. Sometimes you just have to put pucks on the net though and hope for luck

Karl Prime

Feb 13, 2017
How many skilled players making skilled plays in the last 5 years have we seen? McDavid, Draisaitl, Crosby, Ovechkin, MacKinnon, Karlsson, Burns, Makar, Kucherov, Stamkos, Point, Matthews, Marner, Kane, Panarin, Barzal, Gaudreau, Malkin, Marchand .... the list goes on and on. Skill is still very much prevalent in the game. There are a lot of great goals out there.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Or.... "Hockey is the least-watched sport of the big 5 and maybe opening up the game for skilled players would be a good idea."

Why? If I/you/someone enjoys the sport, why should i/you/someone care how many people watch it?

In fact, it kind of seems the more people take interest in the sport the more they want to change it.

But seriously, I couldn't care less if more people watch basketball or baseball or football or any other sport. That has literally zero effect on my enjoyment of the game.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
Why? If I/you/someone enjoys the sport, why should i/you/someone care how many people watch it?

In fact, it kind of seems the more people take interest in the sport the more they want to change it.

But seriously, I couldn't care less if more people watch basketball or baseball or football or any other sport. That has literally zero effect on my enjoyment of the game.

Growing the game will draw more potential athletes to our sport and away from others, I think it'd be exciting to see that kind of growth. True fans will always enjoy the game bc we love the sport, but there are things we can do to make it even more enjoyable for casual fans imo. I still enjoy watching games but I am growing a bit bored with the pace of things.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
When the sports networks show old goals, it's pretty much only going to be highlight reel goals or blooper goals. They're not gonna show you the mundane goals that made the score 5-1 or something

Reactions: Lolonegoal

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Growing the game will draw more potential athletes to our sport and away from others, I think it'd be exciting to see that kind of growth. True fans will always enjoy the game bc we love the sport, but there are things we can do to make it even more enjoyable for casual fans imo. I still enjoy watching games but I am growing a bit bored with the pace of things.

I get it. But it also sounds like you're focusing on opening the game up for Americans. The NHL is much more international than baseball, football and basketball. Players come from all over the world to play in the nhl and that's not changing. Just because it's not huge in one market doesn't mean it isn't popular and growing in many others.

Now, I'm 39 years old so that probably makes me a bit of a dinosaur on these boards, but I actually enjoy the fact that the playoffs tighten up and the refs let more go. That, in addition to the best of 7 aspect, makes the Stanley Cup one of if not the hardest trophy to win.

I am all for eliminating head shots and cheap shots and hits with intent to injure. I dont want to see anyone injured, even the teams and players i despise the most. But I also have no problem with the clutching and grabbing that happens in the playoffs. It should be tougher to play and win in the playoffs. If youre a great player, you should be able to elevate your game and find a way to be successful still. And great players do. Look at all the teams that win the cup. They aren't a team full of grinders and bangers. They all have legit top end talent complimented by size and physicality. Players like Patrick Kane and Martin St. Louis have been instrumental in Cup runs despite their small stature.

I enjoy a 2-1 game where every single chance has the potential to completely change the game just as much or more than a 6-5 back and forth game. One of my fondest playoff memories is the Eastern conference finals of 1994. Adam Graves is behind the net with the puck with Scott Stevens draped ALL over him. Graves fights with Stevens with one hand while working his way around the net, comes out in front, carrying Stevens all the way, and buries it past Brodeur. It was an incredible effort and, for my money, opitimized what playoff hockey is all about. It wasn't flashy. It wasn't pretty. But it required a ton of both talent and grit. Thats the hockey I want to watch.

If growing the game in America means we have to lose all that, well, then I'm just fine with the quality and quantity of American nhlers we currently have.

Edit: the one thing I would like to see changed though, is the lack of consistency in calling penalties. I dont care if they want to let things go or call a tight game, but just be consistent with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: blundluntman

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
In the NBA, how often do you see star players make great plays on a nightly basis that actually result in points being scored? MULTIPLE times a game.

Its true. It happens so much that it's not impressive anymore. At least not to me. Why bother watching a basketball game before the 4th quarter? Each team is going to score 70-90 points and none of it will matter until the final few minutes.

If you want to make a terrible analogy, basketball is like a gorey horror movie and hockey is a suspense thriller. Hockey is all about the anticipation, the absolute perfect timing and combination of events required to score a goal, so that when it finally happens it is meaningful and even cathartic at times. In basketball its just over and over and over again until it loses all meaning and you're not even affected anymore. At least, that's how I feel. Different strokes....

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
This thread again.

6 pages in, but every thing in the OP's premise is not only wrong, but laughable.

Offensive skill isn't as high? f***ing lol. McDavid would put up 350+ points if he played in the 80's.

Vegeta

God Dammit Nappa
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
You lost any credibility when you said there has been a decrease in offensive skill, also I would hardly say 90% of goals are from random deflections and most of those so called random deflection goals do take skill.

I agree with the overall spirit of the OP, but you're absolutely correct. The hand eye skills of guys like Crosby, McDavid, and Stamkos is ridiculous.

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
I get it. But it also sounds like you're focusing on opening the game up for Americans. The NHL is much more international than baseball, football and basketball. Players come from all over the world to play in the nhl and that's not changing. Just because it's not huge in one market doesn't mean it isn't popular and growing in many others.

Now, I'm 39 years old so that probably makes me a bit of a dinosaur on these boards, but I actually enjoy the fact that the playoffs tighten up and the refs let more go. That, in addition to the best of 7 aspect, makes the Stanley Cup one of if not the hardest trophy to win.

I am all for eliminating head shots and cheap shots and hits with intent to injure. I dont want to see anyone injured, even the teams and players i despise the most. But I also have no problem with the clutching and grabbing that happens in the playoffs. It should be tougher to play and win in the playoffs. If youre a great player, you should be able to elevate your game and find a way to be successful still. And great players do. Look at all the teams that win the cup. They aren't a team full of grinders and bangers. They all have legit top end talent complimented by size and physicality. Players like Patrick Kane and Martin St. Louis have been instrumental in Cup runs despite their small stature.

I enjoy a 2-1 game where every single chance has the potential to completely change the game just as much or more than a 6-5 back and forth game. One of my fondest playoff memories is the Eastern conference finals of 1994. Adam Graves is behind the net with the puck with Scott Stevens draped ALL over him. Graves fights with Stevens with one hand while working his way around the net, comes out in front, carrying Stevens all the way, and buries it past Brodeur. It was an incredible effort and, for my money, optimized what playoff hockey is all about. It wasn't flashy. It wasn't pretty. But it required a ton of both talent and grit. Thats the hockey I want to watch.

If growing the game in America means we have to lose all that, well, then I'm just fine with the quality and quantity of American nhlers we currently have.

Edit: the one thing I would like to see changed though, is the lack of consistency in calling penalties. I dont care if they want to let things go or call a tight game, but just be consistent with it.

That's fair, I respect it. At some point it comes down to what type of hockey is more enjoyable for the person so I can't argue with preference. Maybe it'll change over time for me but I'm 27 and didn't grow up during eras where records were broken and offense was booming; that's probably why I'm such a huge advocate for opening up the game that way. I do agree that the difficulty and grit make for great moments in the postseason though.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I think that's what kills the entertainment aspect of hockey.

They play their asses off. Check each other into oblivion. Goes to overtime. And so many overtimes end in the least dramatic goal scored ever. Like 2 deflections and in from a point shot that's taken 100 times a game.
Or someone makes a mental mistake and it ends up in the back of the net.

I find overtime you're never really looking for a great play. You're cringing every shot against you because you know it's going to be some goofy deflection that does your team in.
Or praying your team doesn't make a defensive mistake rather than some form of offensive brilliance.

Put it this way. I spend more time cringing in fear from silly shit shots than being pulled out of my seat watching someone do something awesome offensively. And it's not even close on the ratio imo.

Reactions: definedMF

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If we ignore petty semantics, there is a great point in this post. Maybe there is skill in some of the deflections and garbage goals, but it isn't ENTERTAINING at all. These aren't the displays of athleticism that we see in basketball or football, and even when players do make great plays, the chance of it being rewarded with a goal is pretty damn low. As a sports fan I want to be able to look forward to watching an athlete do great things and actually be REWARDED for it. Sure you may appreciate those displays more when they don't happen as often, but this is a sport, not a job. It should be the entire point of watching.

I find tips/deflections really enjoyable when done well. Course I played baseball for 8 years and my bread and butter was hitting so I find really talented Hand eye very interesting.

I Hate Blake Coleman

F*** the oilers
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
I think that's what kills the entertainment aspect of hockey.

They play their asses off. Check each other into oblivion. Goes to overtime. And so many overtimes end in the least dramatic goal scored ever. Like 2 deflections and in from a point shot that's taken 100 times a game.
Or someone makes a mental mistake and it ends up in the back of the net.

I find overtime you're never really looking for a great play. You're cringing every shot against you because you know it's going to be some goofy deflection that does your team in.
Or praying your team doesn't make a defensive mistake rather than some form of offensive brilliance.

Put it this way. I spend more time cringing in fear from silly shit shots than being pulled out of my seat watching someone do something awesome offensively. And it's not even close on the ratio imo.
Sounds like a you problem tbh. Maybe you need to talk to a doc about anxiety.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Sounds like a you problem tbh. Maybe you need to talk to a doc about anxiety.

Maybe.. never been told I cheer/watch the game wrong before.

Talk to a doctor about anxiety.. haha. Nice passive aggressive jab there bud.

In that case send every fan of sports should be visiting their doctor.

It was merely an observation to compare to other sports really. Not everyone has to blindly obsessively love the sport and all aspects of it.
I said my piece.. you don't like.. stick it where the sun don't shine and continue loving your sport the way you want.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
I don't know what era you are comparing to, but watching Mark Messier let a wrist shot from the top of the right circle, that goes in 50% of the time.......is not exciting hockey. Today's game is so fast, the players are bigger. I don't mind it the way it is.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Haha I was literally thinking about this topic yesterday. With how big/fast players are today, and how most coaches coach a collapse-back in-zone defensive structure, NHL hockey today can at times just resemble human pinball: Chuck the puck on net, it knocks around some things, maybe bounces in. And it gets worse in the playoffs.

I think we'd see more "skill" goals and chances if the players had more time and space.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
tenor.gif

I don't agree with your point, but if I did, I'd say that as the ability of players and coaches rises, and the differences between skill diminishes, then the greater role luck plays in outcomes, necessarily. This is a very easy phenomenon to see. The CHL is a league dominated by stars, with high scoring games. Are junior players more creative and talented than NHLers? No. It's because that league is populated by both guys who are 20yr old bonafide NHL prospects and also 16 year olds playing their first games. It's not a level playing field. The NHL is the top of the top of the top, and their athletes train as a full time job, have regimented nutrition, have full access to specialized skill coaches, and work with a head coach who is among the 30 best coaches in the world, who in turn have a suite of assistants, video guys, etc working for them. They study systems, drill technique, and train a full 10 months out of the year. And everyone has that dedicated support, from your superstars to your fourth line centers.

Which is all just a long way of saying that I'm sorry hockey players were worse in your favorite era.

Ok, we can play that game. Have you watched any of euro hockey lately? You can look at any level from KHL and SHL to VHL, Austrian league. All of them have same symptoms that the OP mentioned. Despite the fact that overall skill is lower for sure. But I guess da Nutrtion works.

So, no "players of your youth were bad" is a very one sided, poor explanation.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
90% is obviously arbitrary and too high, and I disagree with the choice of “fluky,” but I agree with the underlying point. Funnily enough it’s the increase in general size and skill across the league that has led to the development of the sort of tactics that seem to de-emphasize the significance of that skill. These methods are popular because for most players and against most goalies they’re the most effective means of scoring. Make changes to the game to generate effective alternatives and you’ll see more variance in strategy

Minar

Aug 27, 2018
I don't know what era you are comparing to, but watching Mark Messier let a wrist shot from the top of the right circle, that goes in 50% of the time.......is not exciting hockey. Today's game is so fast, the players are bigger. I don't mind it the way it is.

Another exaggeration. That would give messier a whole lot more goals than he has if he scored 50 percent of the time. Yes the game has evolved and is more defensive and the goalies are better due to coaching and technology etc. But the game was intense and exciting in the 80s for where it was at that point in time. You don't hear the color commentators saying ' whoa those defenseman can't even skate and these goalies suck...' It's only in hindsight that we see the game has improved and the same will be said 30 years from now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad