I hate how 90% of goals are fluky in today’s game.

Minar

Aug 27, 2018
This thread again.

6 pages in, but every thing in the OP's premise is not only wrong, but laughable.

Offensive skill isn't as high? f***ing lol. McDavid would put up 350+ points if he played in the 80's.

Ugh no. Cause mcdavid wouldn't be the player he is now if he played in the 80s without the last 40 years of development.

Minar

Aug 27, 2018
Compare the video, the difference in the pace of the game is massive and undeniable. Whatever the reasons for that are is what's up for debate.

I agree about the pace, but its not cause the 80s players weren't trying. Its the development in the game that is an ongoing thing in all sports.

golfortennis

Oct 25, 2007
There needs to be a distinction. I don't think the OP or anyone else is talking about the goals where the shot comes in from the blueline, and a teammate is positioned either in line, or at the side of the net, and purposely deflects the puck to change direction. That is a significant amount of skill.

It's the goals where a defender's stick changes the direction on the goalie, or goes off a guy's shin pad, where the goalie had the shot lined up. Think of what Lafleur was known for: rush down the wing, shot from the top of the circle over the goalie's shoulder. Today that's a "bad goal" by the goalie. There seems to be a change in the direction of the puck on most goals. But far too many of them are not intentional deflections.

Reactions: Mr Positive

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I agree about the pace, but its not cause the 80s players weren't trying. Its the development in the game that is an ongoing thing in all sports.

Much longer shifts and much worse equipment and training. Even then you can find some games where the pace is very good. I don't think the pace is the biggest thing that's changed though, it's the goaltending, defensive strategies and overall skill for every single player from top to bottom.

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
Much longer shifts and much worse equipment and training. Even then you can find some games where the pace is very good. I don't think the pace is the biggest thing that's changed though, it's the goaltending, defensive strategies and overall skill for every single player from top to bottom.

Unless I'm misremembering, the GOAT didn't even play hockey in the offseason growing up. It was hockey in the winter, lacrosse in the summer.

I'm also curious, when did skating and power skating coaches become a thing? I'm pretty positive non of those guys in the 80s had specific skating coaches, and a LOT of them definitely weren't working on their game in the offseason.

Training camp was literally the time when players would get into shape for the regular season. Now guys come in to training camp in peak physical condition.

Just sooo many changes, techniques, technological advances, mindset shifts, etc have happened in the past 30-40 years.

RyCanadian

Apr 23, 2021
A goal is a goal. Doesn't matter how it's scored. Just like a win is a win. That's all that matters.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
it really just seems like some people can't shake the notion the goalie shouldn't be more than a pylon. OP, just because you're a fan of far less skilled goaltenders in net doesn't mean the sport is staying there. i also assume you're motivation for disliking this probably comes from being a fan of a team that struggles with goaltending and scoring greasy goals. you want the league to reward your style so you won't feel so bad about your team losing playing their ineffective style. kudos for dressing it up for us all.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Sometimes I wonder if I watch the same sport as some people based on descriptions. Take game 1 of Isles/Tampa, literally none of the 3 goals were 'flukes'. Isles also play a fast pace physical style with skill too.

Reactions: authentic

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Goalies' "protective" gear has gotten huge, and the goalies themselves are bigger than ever. They cover much more net than they used to, and their technique is far superior to a few decades ago. Then there is the advancement of defensive coaching and shot-blocking protective gear for the skaters.

The biggest issue though, is that this is exactly how the league wants things. They want the rich teams to spend to the limits, while using game-management strategies to keep things as close as possible so that fans don't get tired of seeing their team blown out every game. You are a fool if you think Tim Peel was fired for any other reason than getting caught.

Windy River

Jan 31, 2013
The goalie pads are still insanly big. I dont care if some say that players also got more adventage, the game dies. You just dont beat a goalie clean nowadays. If you do, the goalie will be out of NHL after the season.

De crease all stupid pads on a goalie, let them not look like a big overeating pig in the net.
Goalies are getting beat clean all the time, every single game nearly. And deflection/‘fluke’ goals are also quite common but I’d say maybe 30% of goals not 90%.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Unless I'm misremembering, the GOAT didn't even play hockey in the offseason growing up. It was hockey in the winter, lacrosse in the summer.

I'm also curious, when did skating and power skating coaches become a thing? I'm pretty positive non of those guys in the 80s had specific skating coaches, and a LOT of them definitely weren't working on their game in the offseason.

Training camp was literally the time when players would get into shape for the regular season. Now guys come in to training camp in peak physical condition.

Just sooo many changes, techniques, technological advances, mindset shifts, etc have happened in the past 30-40 years.

I'm not sure about the great one not playing hockey in the summer but it wouldn't surprise me one bit to be honest.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Its true. It happens so much that it's not impressive anymore. At least not to me. Why bother watching a basketball game before the 4th quarter? Each team is going to score 70-90 points and none of it will matter until the final few minutes.

If you want to make a terrible analogy, basketball is like a gorey horror movie and hockey is a suspense thriller. Hockey is all about the anticipation, the absolute perfect timing and combination of events required to score a goal, so that when it finally happens it is meaningful and even cathartic at times. In basketball its just over and over and over again until it loses all meaning and you're not even affected anymore. At least, that's how I feel. Different strokes....

It's really just because you aren't a fan of the sport. I too find hockey more exciting, but I like basketball and it isn't entirely trading baskets the whole way through. There's running offensive schemes and seeing what works and what doesn't, seeing what combination of the 7-8 guys you have is working in a game, managing rest and foul trouble, running set offensive plays, reacting to all of those things on defense, etc., and then it often comes down to the last few minutes [and a ton of fouling that is a rule that needs to be changed]. But of course what's needed from each team in the last minutes was dictated by what worked and didn't work the whole time. I know you know all that because your posts all sound reasonable and thought out.

A basketball fan who hates hockey would make the same passing argument about hockey, wondering how people could just watch people skate around and just hit each other and barely score or celebrate. Like you said, people are different. Some people love jumping up and going "awww shit" a ton of times a game. There's a much bigger "posterized" enjoyment in basketball compared to watching something that resembles a more beautiful game.

And funnily enough, hockey fans tend to hate soccer, to which your description on the anticipation of a goal and it's beauty is even more apt IMO. People just like what they like. I do find hockey fans tend to be the most aggressive about hockey and it's ranking against other sports.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's really just because you aren't a fan of the sport. I too find hockey more exciting, but I like basketball and it isn't entirely trading baskets the whole way through. There's running offensive schemes and seeing what works and what doesn't, seeing what combination of the 7-8 guys you have is working in a game, managing rest and foul trouble, running set offensive plays, reacting to all of those things on defense, etc., and then it often comes down to the last few minutes [and a ton of fouling that is a rule that needs to be changed]. But of course what's needed from each team in the last minutes was dictated by what worked and didn't work the whole time. I know you know all that because your posts all sound reasonable and thought out.

A basketball fan who hates hockey would make the same passing argument about hockey, wondering how people could just watch people skate around and just hit each other and barely score or celebrate. Like you said, people are different. Some people love jumping up and going "awww shit" a ton of times a game. There's a much bigger "posterized" enjoyment in basketball compared to watching something that resembles a more beautiful game.

And funnily enough, hockey fans tend to hate soccer, to which your description on the anticipation of a goal and it's beauty is even more apt IMO. People just like what they like. I do find hockey fans tend to be the most aggressive about hockey and it's ranking against other sports.
I say all the time that soccer and hockey are very similar sports in a lot of ways, that's why it's so amusing to me that there is basically no crossover in terms of fanbases.

Reactions: 13th Floor

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
I say all the time that soccer and hockey are very similar sports in a lot of ways, that's why it's so amusing to me that there is basically no crossover in terms of fanbases.

It's probably to do with the machismo of the game im guessing? NHL players are warriors who break their legs blocking shots and still hobble off the ice. Whereas soccer players are babies who roll on the ground like they've been shot after someone flicks their ear. That's probably the mindset of a lot of the older (and my) generation.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
A goal is a goal. Doesn't matter how it's scored. Just like a win is a win. That's all that matters.
That seems to be the problem. I'm on the fence on it. But it is true that hockey is a low event sport, especially in the playoffs. A game is decided by a small amount of scores. So, those triple deflection fluke goals are often deciding everything. I'm on the fence because I recognize that it takes work to get them. It's still a huge luck factor though

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
And yeah, Ken Dryden's got some good points about goaltending. I'd be curious to see what would happen if you make the net 6 in. larger (it's only 3 inches on each side). And maybe make it 3 in. taller.

Not saying it's a magical, guaranteed solution. But I'd be curious to see it tried out. Just to see what would happen to the overall game's dynamic.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
It's probably to do with the machismo of the game im guessing? NHL players are warriors who break their legs blocking shots and still hobble off the ice. Whereas soccer players are babies who roll on the ground like they've been shot after someone flicks their ear. That's probably the mindset of a lot of the older (and my) generation.
A guy very nearly died in the Euros... soccer does have a major problem of "diving" because of the massive advantage that comes off set plays given how rare goals are, I will definitely grant you that. I will say though that even "warriors" that play hockey will dive every so often to try and get a free powerplay though. ;)

I do wish that in general regardless of people's individual sporting preference they would at least show more respect to the best athletes in other games. I may be a rare type in that I appreciate a very vast array of sports, and so that even the ones I don't particularly enjoy much myself I at least appreciate (even if I don't fully understand) what they can do.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
More goals would help, but isn't even determinative. Lacrosse is another sport with similarity to hockey and soccer in terms of structure and is very high scoring but has never really caught on in terms of popularity (at least to an extent where professional or collegiate lacrosse are major events with lucrative TV deals) anywhere.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Goalies get beat clean all the time. Hell the playoff series between the Jets and Oilers had a few just in that series alone. I assume your an Oilers fan with your avatar. Which games are you watching?

And how many times do fans complain about their goalies when this happens? Fans expect goalies to stop all shots that are unscreened. The problem is that there just isn't enough visible net to shoot at for guys skating in off the rush.

Reactions: kabidjan18

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad