I hate how 90% of goals are fluky in today’s game.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
The increase in skating speed has affected puck handing in a bad way. Its very noticeable in todays game. Its mostly passing and chasing the puck. Different strokes for different folks. Personally I preferred it when players were able slow the game down a bit more in the early 90s with puck handling. Not saying its a new phenomenon, hockey has always had the puck chasing and passing element to it, its just makes up the bulk of the game now. Some offensive skills have declined where some have increased. NHL has become very run and gun basketball if that makes sense.
So you completely disregard the possession style of many NHL stars? You're living in a nostalgic world. It's crazy that you think there's less skill nowadays.

Reactions: haveandare

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
The modern game is all about creating as much congestion in front of the net as possible, then firing the puck in the general direction of the goalie and hoping it bounces off 6 different skaters before going in the net. 99.99% of the time, if the goalie can see the puck, he is going to stop the puck.

I guess a lot of modern fans grew up on this stuff, so they don’t know any different. But those who watched during the 80s and 90s, and have been paying attention, it’s sad to see not only the decrease in scoring and offensive skill, but the way the game has changed to accommodate how dominant goalies have become.

In watching highlights (if you want to call them that) damn near 90% of goals are scored off random deflections. How can you be impressed by what is essentially a goal scored by accident? It’s almost comical watching the goal scorer celebrate, as if he meant to have the puck bounce off one defenseman’s skate, off another defenseman’s stick, hit the popcorn vendor in the 12th row, bounce off the scoreboard and into the net.

I’d love to see a Gretzky, a Lemieux, or a Hull score by beating the goalie straight-up with an accurate shot or completing a beautiful play. Instead, nearly every goal is scored off a fluky deflection, or a rebound, or a goalie-screen.
I kind of agree, and I've been thinking about the same thing. It's a game of percentages. A lot of goals go in because you just keep throwing more rubber at the net than your opponent. Even from high percentage areas, you need a deflection or luck to beat the goalie.

Goalies are too good. Goalies dominate shooters.

My solution is to increase net size by the width of the post, in each three directions.

Reactions: FriendlySpungo

blundluntman

Jul 30, 2016
If we ignore petty semantics, there is a great point in this post. Maybe there is skill in some of the deflections and garbage goals, but it isn't ENTERTAINING at all. These aren't the displays of athleticism that we see in basketball or football, and even when players do make great plays, the chance of it being rewarded with a goal is pretty damn low. As a sports fan I want to be able to look forward to watching an athlete do great things and actually be REWARDED for it. Sure you may appreciate those displays more when they don't happen as often, but this is a sport, not a job. It should be the entire point of watching.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Imo if there were an objective airtight argument for this, people wouldn’t have to lean on the absurd hyperbole all over this thread. The game has changed over time but the problem OP is going on about it largely imaginary.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
If we ignore petty semantics, there is a great point in this post. Maybe there is skill in some of the deflections and garbage goals, but it isn't ENTERTAINING at all. These aren't the displays of athleticism that we see in basketball or football, and even when players do make great plays, the chance of it being rewarded with a goal is pretty damn low. As a sports fan I want to be able to look forward to watching an athlete do great things and actually be REWARDED for it. Sure you may appreciate those displays more when they don't happen as often, but this is a sport, not a job. It should be the entire point of watching.

This entire post can be summed up as, 'I dont like it so no one else does and its not the way the game should be played.'

Minar

Aug 27, 2018
so you'd like to 80% of slap shots from the slot go in because the goalie has no idea what he is doing?

did you watch hockey during the 90's? during the deadlock era? goals back when teams traped the skill out of the game and goals were going in off a player ass who was parked in front the net?

There is a million times more skill in todays game than in the 80's and 90s. Defense and goalie were not a science back then, the 80s defensemen couldn't skate and were awful skating backwards, it made the good players stand out a lot more. Todays game takes more skill, training and althletism than ever, its a natural progression that grows on earlier tactics. Coaching is also way better, so the game is also more cerebral in this era, its more than a great player vs bad defence. Watching older games on the NHL network I have no idea how the game got so popular, its really bad compared to todays hockey. Its bad hockey by todays standard. Of course, people who grew up during that era will have a different opinion, I was born in 1986 and came of age as a hockey fan in the mid 90s

I mean you've seen goalies in the 70s and 80s right? comically out of position 90% of the time, goals back then were easier to score because the overall talent level in the NHL was awful by todays standard. Todays players are taught systems, skills and athletics at a much younger age and much more in shape physically. guys who can barely skate aren't dressed because another team has a guy that can't skate and just goes around trying to kill someone. A lot of todays 3 and 4th liners can probably out play many 1st and 2nd line players of based era. The game changed, it evolved naturally. Fans just need to get over it. Goals are more scarce and what you call cheap goals in your post is hilarious based on how many cheap goals were scored in the era you covet (80s 90s) by goalies that couldn't stop a beachball, and make Goldberg look like Price.

I think the OP is exaggerating a bit. But this post is exaggerating the other way. Watch 80s games on YouTube. You will see some barn burners for sure, but also some low scoring tight games. Not every shot from the blue line or slot went in, and the defenseman could skate by in large. Goalies still made tremendous saves. Maybe the players weren't at todays standards cause the game evolves. But there us no reason to completely trash the game of the past. In 30 years they will say the same about today's game.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
The goalie pads are still insanly big. I dont care if some say that players also got more adventage, the game dies. You just dont beat a goalie clean nowadays. If you do, the goalie will be out of NHL after the season.

De crease all stupid pads on a goalie, let them not look like a big overeating pig in the net.
Then players need to go back to wood sticks if thats the case. Those pucks when whipped at the goalies with the new composite sticks at speeds of over 100mph hurt you know.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
The regular season is much more wide open and entertaining than it was a couple years ago.

The league just needs to keep calling interference, holding, hooking in the playoffs and there wouldn't be a problem

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
The modern game is all about creating as much congestion in front of the net as possible, then firing the puck in the general direction of the goalie and hoping it bounces off 6 different skaters before going in the net. 99.99% of the time, if the goalie can see the puck, he is going to stop the puck.

I guess a lot of modern fans grew up on this stuff, so they don’t know any different. But those who watched during the 80s and 90s, and have been paying attention, it’s sad to see not only the decrease in scoring and offensive skill, but the way the game has changed to accommodate how dominant goalies have become.

In watching highlights (if you want to call them that) damn near 90% of goals are scored off random deflections. How can you be impressed by what is essentially a goal scored by accident? It’s almost comical watching the goal scorer celebrate, as if he meant to have the puck bounce off one defenseman’s skate, off another defenseman’s stick, hit the popcorn vendor in the 12th row, bounce off the scoreboard and into the net.

I’d love to see a Gretzky, a Lemieux, or a Hull score by beating the goalie straight-up with an accurate shot or completing a beautiful play. Instead, nearly every goal is scored off a fluky deflection, or a rebound, or a goalie-screen.
BINGO ! facts are coachings improved , players got better conditioned , faster . goalies got bigger . its made the game like it is today = clogged up ugliness . the rink and nets need get bigger to bring more offense to the game and eliminate the ugly condition where games are determined by power play goals which is an very ugly brand of hockey

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I think the OP is exaggerating a bit. But this post is exaggerating the other way. Watch 80s games on YouTube. You will see some barn burners for sure, but also some low scoring tight games. Not every shot from the blue line or slot went in, and the defenseman could skate by in large. Goalies still made tremendous saves. Maybe the players weren't at todays standards cause the game evolves. But there us no reason to completely trash the game of the past. In 30 years they will say the same about today's game.
It is a different game for sure. Skill gap was larger in the past. 4 line players are way more skilled than ever. Goalies made tremendous saves in the past because they were out of position. Hasek made a career of this. Goaltending and defense evolved into a science in todays game. Defensemen could not skate back then, except the high end players. 3rd pairing D were a joke in the 70s and 80s. There were many factors leading to higher goal scoring in the past, lack of skill in all positions was one of them. I admit I am exaggerating a little bit, I have watched games from the past on NHL vault on NHL network over the last 25 years, its a different game and its not one I enjoy. I am a huge oilers fan and the quite frankly a lot of the goals Gretzky and oilers scored are hilarious and those games are tough to watch because of talent level of the other teams, perhaps im biased and unfair in judging that era against the Oilers.

Reactions: RebuildinVan

RebuildinVan

Jun 25, 2017
The game is alot more coached than it used to be so you have to adjust. I wouldnt say these goals are all fluky, many players spend extra time practising various deflections in front of the net

Reactions: BLONG7

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Ban sliding/going down to block shots by skaters - Reduces injuries, increases scoring chances.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
99% is a real stretch...that being said, I get what you are saying....
The goalies NOW, compared to goalies back in the day, are such good athletes now, and back then not so much.
The equipment to keep them safe, is a huge part of the problem in my eyes....look at the foolish looking catching glove, it's almost as square as the blocker...brutal.
The big issue might be the golaies will tell you the ultralight sticks that allow everyone to shoot 95-100 miles an hour has them needing that said equipment.

There are still a real good number of beautiful goals.....players are amazing at picking top shelf and bar down, etc but the game especially in the playoffs, tends to have greasy goals, and if we look back that use to happen too.

Ken Dryden has some valid points, and so do you............I just don't think it's quite as bad as you think.....I just give the goalies a little more credit...most nights, they are a teams best player....that rarely happened back in the day.
The goals that were scored back then, had alot to do with poor goaltending....and yes smaller equipment.

The old smaller goalies were way more athletic and depended on reflexes. The new goalies are big and use positioning once the sticks got loaded the puck moved to fast for reflex saves.
Many times in the 80’s goalies were the best players

Grifter3511

Nov 3, 2009
The old smaller goalies were way more athletic and depended on reflexes. The new goalies are big and use positioning once the sticks got loaded the puck moved to fast for reflex saves.
Many times in the 80’s goalies were the best players

I think you're partially right. Goalies were smaller but mainly because goaltending wasn't a sexy position so in youth hockey the worst skater often got put in net. Ever since Patrick Roy goaltending has been a much more desirable position to play so youre getting kids wanting to play it instead of being forced to. As such, you're getting much better (and larger) athletes playing in net.
I would say today's goaltender is more athletic and probably has better reflexes, they just use positioning so much better that they don't have to rely on reflexes as much.

Reactions: Hawkeye8

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004

Well the bullshittery is piled up in this statement, humor me on these "displays of athleticism" that occur in basketball and football but yet not in hockey. The same crux of your argument can be said of football as well, also what about great defensive plays, the athlete is not rewarded with a goal. Finally, do not BS me saying hockey lacks displays of athleticism compared any other sport, every athletic requirement of whatever sport you name is done with more athleticism in hockey because it is done in an unnatural setting - with skates on. I would also argue the last line of defense in hockey, the goaltender, is the most athletic position in all of sport.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Ban sliding/going down to block shots by skaters - Reduces injuries, increases scoring chances.
Better yet, just tell the players they are not allowed to defend. The teams will just take turns rushing the puck and trying to score on the goalie while the other team just skates backwards and watches.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
The game is better than its ever been, imo. The difference between today and the 80s is that today defense is prioritized just as much, if not more so, than offense. And the players today train harder, and take fitness and conditioning much more seriously. In addition, coaching has improved tremendously, and players will do everything it takes to win nowadays. If you watch games from the past (80s and earlier), the players are playing at the pace of a pre-game warmup of today. It almost looked like everyone was concerned with looking "graceful" and "effortless" while playing; nobody wanted to hustle. The game today is much faster and more advanced.

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
The increase in skating speed has affected puck handing in a bad way. Its very noticeable in todays game. Its mostly passing and chasing the puck. Different strokes for different folks. Personally I preferred it when players were able slow the game down a bit more in the early 90s with puck handling. Not saying its a new phenomenon, hockey has always had the puck chasing and passing element to it, its just makes up the bulk of the game now. Some offensive skills have declined where some have increased. NHL has become very run and gun basketball if that makes sense.

So you completely disregard the possession style of many NHL stars? You're living in a nostalgic world. It's crazy that you think there's less skill nowadays.

Please point out where I say this...

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
"90% of goals are flukey" seems like it's WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY hyperbolic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad