Post-Game Talk: I guess 20 minutes is almost 60? Oilers lose 4-3.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
3 wins out of 4 games is still pretty great overall.

We need to get McDavid going in time for the playoffs. I wouldn't mind calling up Benson and giving him a shot.

I think he’s got the best chance out of anyone we have right now. Nothing else seems to be working. Ennis and AA should be on the third line until they pick it up a bit.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
3 wins out of 4 games is still pretty great overall.

We need to get McDavid going in time for the playoffs. I wouldn't mind calling up Benson and giving him a shot.
The issue is that the Edmonton Oilers only have one natural winger with any talent, and that's Yamamoto. We had to transition our former #1 overall draft pick to wing just to try and get some depth in that position. We have a few decent grinding wingers like Archibald and Kassian, but man...we desperately need Puljujarvi to just say O.K., I'm coming back...and pray that he has figured out the game to some degree. We need him so damn bad, LOL.

Benson ain't going to cut it. Nobody in Bako is going to cut it. We need to go big game hunting for a winger this offseason. It is killing us worse than our defence is. I have one in mind...

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Penalties taken during 'dead' time like that still count, so that you can't just starting crosschecking dudes in the teeth and then have it wiped out after the league calls to announce a good goal.

I think we all understand that. But the fact they called that during time that literally didn’t exist but couldn’t manage to penalize the Hawks more than once is objectively hilarious.

RalphKing

Mar 28, 2017
Is Smith going to start in the Playoffs? Tipp has so much history with him...

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Could be. 2nd line isn’t changing. I think Kassian and Benson might be our best in house solution.

Yeah but if the cap takes a jump we’ll have a chance to acquire a real star to play with McDavid, but I’m unsure that’ll work either.

Hopefully McDavid and Holland go shopping together.

Reactions: nally

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
You guys gotta watch some of the elite teams... they lay logs vs lesser competition as well.

I'm not really a "high danger" stats guy... but the Oilers had their chances and just didn't bury them... but the stats show that the high danger chances were dead even, scoring chances overall were close... slight edge to Chicago. Expected goals stat was very even as well.

This game ended up being not far from a coin flip and the scoreboard (finally) showed that as well.

I'll take this result in the context of how hungry the Blackhawks were and how the Oilers responded as the game went on... they had Chicago sweating in the end and didn't just lay down and take this loss which is what you want on the road.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
2 lousy games in a row, this loss well deserved.
Waiting for the usual stupidity on here blaming Smith for the loss.
McDavid didn’t have a good game, big he’s saddled with Anastasia as a winger. This guy reminds me a big like Puljo. Big, can skate, decent shot. But I’m not seeing a lot of hockey smarts. Real easy to see why he was a minus 45 when we got him, and it wasn’t all from playing on a bad team.
Was hoping we could at least get a point out of it after expending all that energy in the last 10 minutes, but now the Saturday game just got a lot more important.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
The issue is that the Edmonton Oilers only have one natural winger with any talent, and that's Yamamoto. We had to transition our former #1 overall draft pick to wing just to try and get some depth in that position. We have a few decent grinding wingers like Archibald and Kassian, but man...we desperately need Puljujarvi to just say O.K., I'm coming back...and pray that he has figured out the game to some degree. We need him so damn bad, LOL.

Benson ain't going to cut it. Nobody in Bako is going to cut it. We need to go big game hunting for a winger this offseason. It is killing us worse than our defence is. I have one in mind...

I agree but Pulju won’t be a solution either. He doesn’t have a very good shot and is pretty clueless positionally. They need to sign or trade for a sniper with wheels this offseason.

ZenOil

Fast Twitch Hitch
Sep 23, 2010
Vancouver
I'd give Haas a go with McDavid but
it'll never happen. Dude has hands, speed and has never played with talented players so no one knows if he can elevate.

Last edited:

OfCorsiDid

Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
You guys gotta watch some of the elite teams... they lay logs vs lesser competition as well.

I'm not really a "high danger" stats guy... but the Oilers had their chances and just didn't bury them... but the stats show that the high danger chances were dead even, scoring chances overall were close... slight edge to Chicago. Expected goals stat was very even as well.

This game ended up being not far from a coin flip and the scoreboard (finally) showed that as well.

I'll take this result in the context of how hungry the Blackhawks were and how the Oilers responded as the game went on... they had Chicago sweating in the end and didn't just lay down and take this loss which is what you want on the road.

lol i just remembered Boston allowing 9 vs the Canucks.

and the lightening allowing 7 against the yotes

Hockey is weird.

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
If Koskinen would have started I think they probably win or atleast take it to OT. 2 goals exactly the same let in by Smith and the 2nd one moments after he was clueless on a shot hat went wide where he didn't even react till it hit the boards.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
2 lousy games in a row, this loss well deserved.
Waiting for the usual stupidity on here blaming Smith for the loss.
McDavid didn’t have a good game, big he’s saddled with Anastasia as a winger. This guy reminds me a big like Puljo. Big, can skate, decent shot. But I’m not seeing a lot of hockey smarts. Real easy to see why he was a minus 45 when we got him, and it wasn’t all from playing on a bad team.
Was hoping we could at least get a point out of it after expending all that energy in the last 10 minutes, but now the Saturday game just got a lot more important.

Agreed, though the Saturday game isn’t really that much more important now. If anything winning against the west teams and creating some more distance is though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad