McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
That story about a rift between Matthews and Babcock is complete crap and it's only been reported by John Shannon who has a history of being wrong when it comes to the Leafs. No one like Bob McKenzie who is the most respected NHL Insider has reported this.

To me he doesn’t look happy in Toronto. Just my opinion, I think the leafs move on from this player, hence the hesitation to want to sign him long term.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
With the way the cap is increasing, I would wait too.

14% of the cap now =/= 14% of the cap next year. I think a similar situation is playing out with Tavares right now.

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Seems like a smart business decision from both players.

Doesn't reflect on their loyalty to the fans or city at all and wouldn't really read into hearsay.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I really get Marner. He can be PPG next season. He was on a 100+ pace from jan 24th-on after getting more TOI and better linemates.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
To me he doesn’t look happy in Toronto. Just my opinion, I think the leafs move on from this player, hence the hesitation to want to sign him long term.
incredulous.gif

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
The sheer notion of Toronto trading Matthews is so absurd but if they sign JT, it almost makes sense.

Toronto needs help on the blue line and trading Matthews for OEL, Strome, + whatever in addition to adding JT makes them a stronger team. Older....but stronger.

Leaf fans, and I really should make this a poll, which option sounds better.

1) Team stays the same

2) Team adds JT through FA and trades Matthews to Arizona for OEL and a pile?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Smart to wait until next summer, given the cap increase this year and the potential to grow even more next year I can see both guys getting paid more than Eichel.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
The sheer notion of Toronto trading Matthews is so absurd but if they sign JT, it almost makes sense.

Toronto needs help on the blue line and trading Matthews for OEL, Strome, + whatever in addition to adding JT makes them a stronger team. Older....but stronger.

1) Team stays the same

There is zero chance the leafs trade matthews. A player not wanting to sign a year before he needs to does not mean he doesnt want to be in toronto

Reactions: Rob Brown

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009

1) Team stays the same

Oh my goodness. Please just stop. If Leafs fans said that the Jets should trade Laine you would all lose your shit.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017

I don’t know if it was the problem with Babcock or other problems in the room. But his give a sh** meter was pretty low against Boston. Very evident to see. Just speculation on my part on why Leafs chose not to sign him long term this summer as reported by Bob McKenzie.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

1) Team stays the same

:laugh:

Reactions: Rob Brown and Kelly

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I don’t know if it was the problem with Babcock or other problems in the room. But his give a sh** meter was pretty low against Boston. Very evident to see. Just speculation on my part on why Leafs chose not to sign him long term this summer as reported by Bob McKenzie.
Most would speculate you haven't got a clue.
Good for laughs though, :laugh: keep fishing.

Reactions: Rob Brown and Kelly

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
The name of the video where Bob said this is literally:

"McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign"

No mention of the Leafs not wanting to sign him long term this summer.

Keep trying.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Oh my goodness. Please just stop. If Leafs fans said that the Jets should trade Laine you would all lose your ****.

But if we traded Laine, signed Ovi, and traded Laine for a top tier d-man.....I wouldn't be ecstatic but there's no doubt that we would be a better team. It was a legit question.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
There is zero chance the leafs trade matthews. A player not wanting to sign a year before he needs to does not mean he doesnt want to be in toronto

And I am not saying that. I am saying, which situation would be better. You still have a number 1 center for (more than likely) the same price while shoring up the team in it's area of greatest weakness.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
But if we traded Laine, signed Ovi, and traded Laine for a top tier d-man.....I wouldn't be ecstatic but there's no doubt that we would be a better team. It was a legit question.
Okay, well we don't want to trade Matthews.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Okay, well we don't want to trade Matthews.

Again, I feel like people think I am on the troll train. No one wants to trade their star player but it's a very interesting notion to consider.

If you're able to replace your 1C with a 1C while getting a HUGE return back in the process, is it worth it?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Again, I feel like people think I am on the troll train. No one wants to trade their star player but it's a very interesting notion to consider.

If you're able to replace your 1C with a 1C while getting a HUGE return back in the process, is it worth it?
No, you move another piece before him.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Fine to think about it if it fills a need, but I don’t see the Leafs doing that ever.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
But then you severely diminish the return. You aren't getting a guy like OEL for Nylander or Marner. You also would be insane to have 2 10+ mil centers on the same team. I am aware that it worked for Pittsburgh.
I didn't say the Leafs would get OEL for Nylander or Marner. I haven't brought up OEL once.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad