McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign

I am I

Feb 18, 2010
He would have had to have signed before the TDL to get 8 years. There is no incentive for JVR to involve himself in a sign and trade.

There is no requirement that he sign by TDL. Stamkos signed for 8 years on June 29th. But I think you are right on the sign and trade. It is technically possible since teams can negotiate before July 1st but seriously why would anyone do that?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
There is no requirement that he sign by TDL. Stamkos signed for 8 years on June 29th. But I think you are right on the sign and trade. It is technically possible since teams can negotiate before July 1st but seriously why would anyone do that?
If Stamkos had re-signed with Tampa on July 1, 2016 than he could have only got a 7 year contract instead of 8 years.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Might as well. No sense settling early when you can still raise your value with another good season.

Of course they run the risk of having a ****ty season as well, but I don't see it with those two.

either guy gets hurt and misses half a season and they costs themselves upwards of 10+mil over the course of a deal

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
If the cap goes up to $85M next summer, Matthews’ agent could point to McDavid’s 16.67% of the cap contract at the time it was signed and suggest that his client deserves 15% of the cap, or $12.75M.

Smart move by the kids if true.

and leafs brass could point to mcdavid being a back to back 100pt player wheras matthews hasnt hit 70 yet
anyone suggesting he gets more than mcdavid regardless of cap limit is ridiculous

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
early july

Matthews 8x 10.5
Marner 7 x 6.75
Nylander 7x6.25

Nylander agree

Marner might be 6.75 - 7

AM I think your lite a bit, guessing 11 million

Just my opinion, but your numbers certainly aren’t far off either way. Nhl could be exciting summer for a bunch of teams signings and trades.

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't the leafs be able to offer various sponsor deals which pay multi millions (ex. 3 mil per year) to Matthews, Marner, or Nylander? If I remember correctly, back when Stamkos was set to become a UFA, the leafs had Canadian Tire offer Stamkos a multi-million dollar offer on top of what the leafs were already offering. I wonder if the leafs could pull off some sort of deal like this in order to have cheaper cap hits for the big 3.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Matthews was disengaged during the playoffs. Smart move by leafs not to commit to this player. A wait and see approach is best for both parties. Obviously more to story between him and Babcock than we know. I’d love ke to see kid find his game again, but it might be somewhere else.

SteadyFreddie

Jun 11, 2018
Matthews was disengaged during the playoffs. Smart move by leafs not to commit to this player. A wait and see approach is best for both parties. Obviously more to story between him and Babcock than we know. I’d love ke to see kid find his game again, but it might be somewhere else.
Are you serious?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
That story about a rift between Matthews and Babcock is complete crap and it's only been reported by John Shannon who has a history of being wrong when it comes to the Leafs. No one like Bob McKenzie who is the most respected NHL Insider has reported this.

Scott Malkinson

Sep 29, 2017
Matthews and Nylander are right but how does Marner not get 8?

Because every single comparable player to Marner has gotten under $7M on long-term contracts. There is no precedent over the last two years to indicate Marner could or would fetch anything more than $7M max.

The idea that he'll get $8M or $9M is absurd.

All facts and comparables indicate both Marner and Nylander will get $7M or less on 5-8 year deals.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Because every single comparable player to Marner has gotten under $7M on long-term contracts. There is no precedent over the last two years to indicate Marner could or would fetch anything more than $7M max.

The idea that he'll get $8M or $9M is absurd.

All facts and comparables indicate both Marner and Nylander will get $7M or less on 5-8 year deals.

It depends on how much the cap goes up, though, doesn't it. As a PERCENTAGE of cap, yeah he will get the equivalent of 6-7 of last years money. But cap went up a lot this year. And might go up a lot next year. He could totally hit 8 just because of cap inflation. Nothing wrong with that. Just more likely for the deal to be a "steal" down the road if its signed now vs next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad