McKenzie: I get the feeling Matthews & Marner want to wait until next summer to sign

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Because every single comparable player to Marner has gotten under $7M on long-term contracts. There is no precedent over the last two years to indicate Marner could or would fetch anything more than $7M max.

The idea that he'll get $8M or $9M is absurd.

All facts and comparables indicate both Marner and Nylander will get $7M or less on 5-8 year deals.
Marner has another year. Argue against a Draisaitl comparable if Marner can put 80 pts up. Looking at p/60...there is already a case.

PKWeber

Mar 1, 2017
Montreal
Habs will sign AM to an offer sheet for 13.5M after they draft Jack Hughes first overall in the 2019 draft

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Waiting seems like the sensible approach.
Not sure why it's particularly newsworthy though. :huh:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Maple Leafs GM Dubas goes into familiar territory to pick Sandin in the first round, 29th overall

The agent for Marner is confident that when he sits down with Dubas to begin serious negotiations on a new contract, there won’t be the kind of tension that many are expecting.

“I don’t anticipate a battle,” Darren Ferris said. “Everything will be done in time, and there isn’t any rush. Both sides will be patient. Both have a common interest, and I don’t anticipate it being difficult.”

Though Dubas and the representatives for each player can start negotiating on July 1, that’s not likely to happen. Dubas has indicated he will approach the Matthews and Marner situations with patience and with the appreciation that neither contract will get done over night.

Where the negotiations between Ferris and Dubas could get interesting is if there’s a contract sought that is more in line with what Matthews is expected to seek. If Marner has another season in which he was equal to or better than Matthews in some statistical areas, expect Ferris to make a case that his client should, at the least, be in line with Matthews contract-wise.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Because every single comparable player to Marner has gotten under $7M on long-term contracts. There is no precedent over the last two years to indicate Marner could or would fetch anything more than $7M max.

The idea that he'll get $8M or $9M is absurd.

All facts and comparables indicate both Marner and Nylander will get $7M or less on 5-8 year deals.

Yes there is.
Example:
MacKinnon got 6,3 million straight out of his ELC, after a 52 point season in 15/16 and 0,70 ppg in his first 3 seasons in the NHL.
Marner has 0,82ppg after his first 2 seasons.
Why shouldnt he demand more than that? He has better numbers and the cap has gone up alot since MacKinnon signed his contract.

MacKinnon signed for almost 9% of the cap, 9% of 79,5 million(18/19 cap hit) is 7,155 million.
If the cap goes up even more in 19/20 (when Marners contract kicks in) that number would be even higher, then account for Marner having 0,82ppg and MacKinnon 0,70 ppg and Marner should demand well over 7 million on a longterm deal.

Hogie Hogilthorpe

Dec 19, 2017
The Matthews and Babcock "tension" thread on the main page you try to make a big deal out of it, but the reality is players an coaches argued the ONLY reason it was reported is because It's the Leafs. ONLY in Toronto and MAYBE Montreal does that get reported
Just because it’s only a story in big markets doesn’t make it any less of a problem

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Literally the first thing McKenzie says is that he has no inside information on this and is just speculating.
If there's one thing I've learned from reading Friedman threads (since he loves to speculate) it's that any time an analyst qualifies a statement as speculation or musing, it means they must be stating something as 100% fact, and if it doesn't happen they're a human garbage fire.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
If there's one thing I've learned from reading Friedman threads (since he loves to speculate) it's that any time an analyst qualifies a statement as speculation or musing, it means they must be stating something as 100% fact, and if it doesn't happen they're a human garbage fire.
No offense to Friedman because among the Sportsnet insiders he's the only creditable one working for them, Bob McKenzie never says anything until he's got all the information first. This has been the only time I can remember him saying something that was based on a feeling and nothing more.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yea lets offer sheet the richest team in the NHL. I may as well sue Google, that will end just as well.

In a salary cap league, the "richest team" means absolutely nothing. What the Leafs have in the bank account is meaningless in an over sheet scenario. It's what they would have under the cap, so I'm not sure what point you think you are making here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad