OT: I don't think I'll ever get over what happened in 2011 (2011 nostalgia general)

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
What bothers me the most is how it's affected this team.

We were clearly the best team that year AINEC, but just couldn't pull it out due to injuries. And that single loss ruined this team. Gillis got no respect afterwards. Our ownership and fanbase started to go crazy with being 'tough' like the Bruins despite not only never getting the calls, but the Canucks weren't even a soft team. IIRC we were leading the playoffs in hits, for example.

Every other team has moved towards the style that the Canucks and Chicago were playing, while the Canucks feel some need to be big and tough.

What a shame. My parents are going to die never seeing this team win a cup and it's sad.

It's going to take an entirely new core that wasn't part of that ****show to get past that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What bothers me the most is how it's affected this team.

We were clearly the best team that year AINEC, but just couldn't pull it out due to injuries. And that single loss ruined this team. Gillis got no respect afterwards. Our ownership and fanbase started to go crazy with being 'tough' like the Bruins despite not only never getting the calls, but the Canucks weren't even a soft team. IIRC we were leading the playoffs in hits, for example.

Every other team has moved towards the style that the Canucks and Chicago were playing, while the Canucks feel some need to be big and tough.

What a shame. My parents are going to die never seeing this team win a cup and it's sad.

Same.

The organization completely lost the plot after a BS loss that was due to injuries and officiating, and the following 5 years have seen us drop from the best organization in the NHL to the worst.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The last highlight I can watch is Game 5 vs the Sharks. I can't watch anything from the finals.

I was so sure we won after the Burrows goal that I let myself think we already had. That made it so much worse it the end.

I can't not reflect on the Finals - especially Game 2 - with fondness. I flew to Vancouver to watch that game, we had the whole family come over to my parents' place to watch. It was the last game I ever got to watch with my Grandfather, who died in August of that year.

When Burrows scored that OT winner, our basement might as well have been Rogers Arena. About twenty of us crammed in the room, screaming and shouting and cheering and hugging.

What came after that was outright robbery by the league, which leaves me extremely bitter. But for that day, it was the top of the world from a hockey fan's perspective.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The 2011 run I won't forget about.
But after that, it really changed my perspective of life after that.

Seriously, my life decisions after that run is what I am today...for the better.

All I want is just 1 Cup victory in my lifetime.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
1994 hurt more because the team felt more "magical". It was something of a cinderella run, we were beloved of the Canadian media, "small market" franchise battling against an original six leviathan in the form of the New York Rangers. Come from behind in the Finals. That legendary game seven performance from Linden. It all felt like a beautiful underdog story that came up just short. It was bittersweet. Bittersweet STINGS. It hurts forever.

2011 is just bitter/sour. While the games were great and the team a magnificent juggernaut, it seemed like everything ran against us. The media loathed the team, and it got painted as divers/cheaters/chokers, in part due to our antic-prone antagonists and in part because the Auger incident painted a target on the organization. We got crumpled by key injuries at terrible times, drew into luckless matchups, got unprecedented suspensions and played a style that was the anti-thesis of how "playoff officiating" functions. Rather than come from behind in the finals, we were come from behind AGAINST, in a wildly lopsided, hugely demoralizing fashion, disassembled brick by brick by a team ALSO full of divers and antagonists who got to enjoy a "good old fashioned hockey club" narrative about heart and grit and determination because the media needs to sell some kind of story and that was the one they seized on.

Perhaps the single greatest Canucks moment of all time is nested inside that playoff run (Burrows OT goal against Chicago) and another top 5 contestant (Bieksa OT goal against Sharks), so I do like to go back and watch highlights from time to time, but there will always be a pall hanging over that season because of how it ended. And given it started the slow, sad distintegration of the team's competitive prospects, it's doubly obnoxious at the moment.

Karl Hungus

Oct 6, 2007
2011 is just bitter/sour. While the games were great and the team a magnificent juggernaut, it seemed like everything ran against us. The media loathed the team, and it got painted as divers/cheaters/chokers, in part due to our antic-prone antagonists and in part because the Auger incident painted a target on the organization. We got crumpled by key injuries at terrible times, drew into luckless matchups, got unprecedented suspensions and played a style that was the anti-thesis of how "playoff officiating" functions. Rather than come from behind in the finals, we were come from behind AGAINST, in a wildly lopsided, hugely demoralizing fashion, disassembled brick by brick by a team ALSO full of divers and antagonists who got to enjoy a "good old fashioned hockey club" narrative about heart and grit and determination because the media needs to sell some kind of story and that was the one they seized on.

The Boston sports media is something special. They took all the blatant bubble hypocrisy that you see in the media at large and applied it to the Canucks which basically turned them into Iran. All that was missing was a Mark Wahlberg movie about it. It didn't help that CBC was rooting hard against Vancouver and comprised mostly of Bruin's fans as well. Really a combination of Bruins fans and Canucks haters so everyone not named Friedman was happy to pile on. 2011 was when HNIC died for me.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The Boston sports media is something special. They took all the blatant bubble hypocrisy that you see in the media at large and applied it to the Canucks which basically turned them into Iran. All that was missing was a Mark Wahlberg movie about it. It didn't help that CBC was rooting hard against Vancouver and comprised mostly of Bruin's fans as well. Really a combination of Bruins fans and Canucks haters so everyone not named Friedman was happy to pile on. 2011 was when HNIC died for me.

I've ignored Canadian sports media since 2011.

Especially the Eastern Canadian media, **** them.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I still remember the Burrows biting incident.

I'm sorry but if you put your fingers in someone's mouth without permission, your fingers should be bitten. If the mouth you stuck your fingers in doesn't bite you, someone else should step in and give you a bite as a penalty.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The 2011 run I won't forget about.
But after that, it really changed my perspective of life after that.

I don't know if I would go that far, but it certainly has changed my outlook on hockey, and sports in general. I don't watch or follow them like I used to. I don't get up and down with the events of the game like I used to. I don't plan my life around hockey games like I used to. I don't "care" about it like I used to.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Since I wasn't a fan back in 1994, literally all of my fave memories of this team are from that 2011 playoff run, and my least fave memory of this team is from that run. So I can't just try to forget about the whole thing wholesale the way some of you have, or never revisit the highlights. That would be a total needless waste.

I just never watch highlights of game 7 of the finals. But games one and two? Amazing. Everyone talks about his thrilling OT winner against Chicago (which is admittedly the best), but man I love that OT goal that Burr pulled off in game 2. Puuuure magic.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Since I wasn't a fan back in 1994, literally all of my fave memories of this team are from that 2011 playoff run, and my least fave memory of this team is from that run. So I can't just try to forget about the whole thing wholesale the way some of you have, or never revisit the highlights. That would be a total needless waste.

I just never watch highlights of game 7 of the finals. But games one and two? Amazing. Everyone talks about his thrilling OT winner against Chicago (which is admittedly the best), but man I love that OT goal that Burr pulled off in game 2. Puuuure magic.

I hate these re hashes of 2011.. But after that goal my brother called me from his coast guard ship and we were talking .. " they're gonna do it.. I can't believe IT. We've waited our entire lives for this"

Sigh

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I became much less emotionally invested in the NHL after 2011. I barely watched the following season even though they were a President's Trophy caliber team. I just felt it wasn't worth getting wrapped up in a league which participates in point-shaving. Things improved a bit when Campbell was moved out of DoPS, but I think only the NBA is worse when it comes to league head office bias. I still watch, but I pay more attention to baseball and less to hockey now.

1994 stung, but the Canucks were clear underdogs who managed to keep the Rangers honest and pushed it to game 7. If the Red Wings hadn't collapsed against the expansion Sharks, I question whether that team would have gotten past the Red Wings. 2011 was one they should have been expected to win. That was the one where we were robbed and I know where I point my finger of blame.

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
That spring was magic from the Canucks, and the NHL robbed them of a Cup. No doubt in my mind.

I have many fantastic memories of that summer, and I compartmentalize that from the bitterness I feel towards the league's underhanded, shady tactics in that Final.

This NHL is a joke

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
imagine if luongo channeled a perfect performance in game 7 and we won despite the injuries and bogus refereeing

1-0
in triple OT

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask
I wonder how things would've played out if the Canucks scored first in G7.

After a video review and sudden Change to the existing rules, it would have been called back simply because it was burrows. Then Probably would have had to kill 12 straight penalties.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
I don't think the NHL was targeting the Canucks per say.

I think the NHL was targeting the Aquilinis.

It's no secret how the Aquilinis used underhanded tactics to snake the team from Gaglardi and Beedle.

It's also no secret that the Aquilinis aren't exactly well liked in the NHL political circle.

So to see the Aquilinis hockey team actually win a Stanley Cup? No way no how

The anti-Canuck rhetoric was incredibly strong during that era and blaming the antics of Burr and Kes for it just isn't a realistic enough explanation to be able to explain the magnitude of the anti-Canuck rhetoric that was going on.

Like WTF??

There was also some rumours about how Gillis had burnt some bridges as an agent to explain why he wasn't able to facilitate any big trades for us which I don't buy.

I think 2011 and onwards was all about punishing the Aquilinis; and fans as well as players have been casualties of this.

In my opinion of course.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
That was an insane run. The playoffs and what happened is one thing. But I was amazed at how ridiculous and unprofessional Canadian media outlets turned. Embarrassing on so many levels.

I'll never get over it. I just push it aside now and ignore it the best I can.

2011 took away the emotional investment I had with this team.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
I don't know if I would go that far, but it certainly has changed my outlook on hockey, and sports in general. I don't watch or follow them like I used to. I don't get up and down with the events of the game like I used to. I don't plan my life around hockey games like I used to. I don't "care" about it like I used to.

Summarized perfectly . Totally agree

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That was an insane run. The playoffs and what happened is one thing. But I was amazed at how ridiculous and unprofessional Canadian media outlets turned. Embarrassing on so many levels.

I'll never get over it. I just push it aside now and ignore it the best I can.

**** Ron McLean.

At least PJ Stock I can understand his 'homer Bruins' bias.

**** Ron McLean.

ahhhhh....I feel much better.

Nah, I don't....

**** Ron McLean.

Have a nice day! :)

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
i think about it every moment of my life

That's more depressing than the 2011 finals itself.

I don't get down about it anymore. The Canucks were just destroyed by the time game 7 came along.

I still place a lot of blame on Luongo for the series loss. I get it that they had little in the way of scoring, but he handed 4 of the 7 games to Boston all on his own.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I still place a lot of blame on Luongo for the series loss. I get it that they had little in the way of scoring, but he handed 4 of the 7 games to Boston all on his own.

8 goals in 7 games (3 of those goals came in one game - so make that 5 goals in 6 games). Shouldn't totally give him an immunity idol for any of his poor play in some of those games but in terms of "blame", he's WAY DOWN the list as far as I'm concerned.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
8 goals in 7 games (3 of those goals came in one game - so make that 5 goals in 6 games). Shouldn't totally give him an immunity idol for any of his poor play in some of those games but in terms of "blame", he's WAY DOWN the list as far as I'm concerned.

Had he not imploded in one of the 4 losses, they may have the cup now. He's got a lot of blame to take.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad