Friedman: "I don't think Edmonton is done in goal"

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Fair point. While I'm not nearly as down on the Oilers as many of my brethren, I think it's a fair counterpoint to say that at some point improvement has to be measured in the post season though.

The jump from 17-18 to 18-19 is 100% well done, and it's entirely possible they surpass 2019-20 given how open the Pacific is this year.

The Pacific is really, really weak this year. I think it's Vegas 1st, then maybe Oilers 2nd, and after that it's a crapshoot. However regular season success in a weak division does not guarantee playoff success, as we Oiler fans well know :)

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Team would be a lot closer to contention if Markstrom didn’t shun them

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
Team would be a lot closer to contention if Markstrom didn’t shun them
I don’t think Markstrom (.904 save % in 2020/21) would have been any better than Smith last year. I mean Markstrom played in front of “a much better defensive core” than the Oilers and he kinda sucked for what the Flames paid him.

I think we dodged a bullet there.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Any interest in Korpsisalo?

Not if I were GM. Inconsistent and his numbers aren't any better than Koskinen. The acquisition cost + cost to shed Koskinen isn't worth it for me as I don't see him as a real solution to the problem.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Fair point. While I'm not nearly as down on the Oilers as many of my brethren, I think it's a fair counterpoint to say that at some point improvement has to be measured in the post season though.

The jump from 17-18 to 18-19 is 100% well done, and it's entirely possible they surpass 2019-20 given how open the Pacific is this year.

Well given that they didn't even make the playoffs in 17-18, and got bounced by a non-playoff team in 19-20, I'd say taking their licks from a legit playoff team last year is at least a baby step forward.

The biggest issue in the last two years was a lack of forward depth. We plugged some big holes there, replacing 33% of our top nine. Let's see how that plays out.

In goal... I don't think any of us are satisfied yet, but have resigned ourselves to rolling with what we have until the trade deadline. We had the same problem in 2006 and it worked out pretty well. (though you could argue the lack of depth in goal is what cost us the cup that year)

Reactions: Flames Fanatic

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Why are you talking about the results of the one most recent offseason like it invalidates the truth of the futility of the dozen offseasons I mentioned prior?

Ovechkin's Capitals have had much more strong, consistent teams, only missing the playoffs once in his career. McDavid has already missed three. What do you think that says about the quality of the team around him?

I think it says that you are off topic.

This thread is meant to be about goalies and which goalies Edmonton might be pursuing according to Friedman.

There are plenty of general Oiler bashing threads on the mains... you can go and revive one so that you comments are there for the record. Crow will eventually be served and I wouldn't want you to miss your plate.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00